It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Hoping I have ADD

I've intentionally been off ADD meds for several days now. My mind feels so cluttered with thoughts. Adderall and Ritalin allowed me to live free of this for a time (until I stopped taking them because of migraine headaches), but I still wonder if I have ADD. My therapist has ADD and gave me a test that showed I have some level of symptoms, but overall I seriously wonder if I have it. I hope I do because the meds helped so much. I've found a local clinic that specializes in ADD, and at least two of the professionals are on my insurance so I'm going to make an appointment to see them as soon as I can.

Aaron

Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Hoping I have ADD

Aaron,

This is my third attempt. 1st try, I hit some key combo that shut my browser. Second try, I hit some key combo that I don't know what the hecks happened.

Third Attempt: If you don't have ADD, then I don't have ADD.

All tests I took screamed POSITIVE. That means I am POSITIVELY ADD as can be.

It is likely you got a co-morbid or two along for the ride as most adults do. 7 years ago my dx read: ADD with depression and anxiety disorders. I rarely any more experience depression or anxiety in the clinical sense. I honestly can't remember my last episode.

My current dx reads ADHD. The H got added. The only good thing about my depression was that it "cured" my hyperactivity.

Stop "hoping." You are ADD as can be.

You gotta see a good shrink to get a real diagnosis. I can only say for a fact that "your symptoms are nearly identical to my symptoms."

Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to addprogrammer For This Useful Post:
addventurous (11-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

Thanks Bob. I say "hoping" because I've self diagnosed myself with so many things before that I just want to hear an ADD expert tell me "Yes, you Aaron have ADD!" *and* I want meds that work without intolerable side effects. Most of all I want my life and my mind to be my own. They've been ADD's for the better part of 40 years.

Aaron

Last edited by addventurous; 11-26-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: My name is Aaron not Aarob. :-)

Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Yeah, Arron, I get it. ADHD cost me 53 years of my life. The silver lining in a very dark cloud is I am able to help other adults.

Another factor not to be overlooked is that ADHD only recently has been identified as a very real life threatening disorder.Yes, ADHD kils. It kills my accidents and it kills by suicide. ADHD has caused my life at times to suck so bad that death looked like a not all that bad option.

Medical technology has seen tremendous advancements the last few years. Researchers in 2010 have for the first time identified the buggy genes. Before then the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming. ADHD parents usually have ADHD children. But since the big brain AH's did not have "positive scientific evidence" doubts remained about ADHD being a "real disorder."

Up-to-date psychiatrists can get you the meds that control your ADD without the migraines. It is complex, very tricky biz, requiring the service of true psychiatric professionals. Caveat: Watch out for the damn shrinks still lurking in the dark.

Supper is burnt. Got to eat. Later,

Bob

MissBecky82 (12-05-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

It's important to note that ADHD diagnosis as with all psychological diagnoses is subjective in the extreme. The DSM-IV lists clusters of symptoms that are indicative of various disorders, and it's how many of those various symptoms that you match that qualifies you as having this disorder rather than that disorder. The result is, what's ADHD to one doctor is depression to another, and normal to a third. There's far more guesswork than science involved in psychological diagnosis.

My own ADHD diagnosis was questionable at best. I spent a day doing various concentration, memory and IQ testing, and was returned the following diagnoses: Depression along with the possibility of Borderline Personality Disorder, and I apparently fell midway between an ADHD sample and a 'normal' sample. Thus, it was suggested that I start antidepressants right away, and if it really meant that much to me, I could start treatment for ADHD as well.

Now Bob here can testify to my status as ADHD, as well as the progress I've made in the last 3-4 years. I've gone from a morbidly obese, depressed forklift driver to a much less obese (yeah, yeah, I've still got a ways to go ) student at a major university, bringing home straight A's. All this as a result of having the strength of the conviction that depression was not my primary issue, and taking the time and the interest to pursue and manage my own treatment. It took me nearly two years to find a psychiatrist that was willing to take enough interest in my condition to really help me, and a proper medication regimen, along with a good bit of work with books and a psychologist has changed my life. That's not to say that I still don't have challenges, but I'm far better off than the nigh-suicidal, partially ADHD diagnosed drifter that showed up on these boards in 2008.

As to my 'depression' diagnosis, I was started on Celexa immediately; a move which drove me into a depression that very nearly ended in my death. Had I trusted the doctors I was working with originally, I may well not be here today, because their own preconceptions that coloured their interpretation of the DSM-IV had led to a poor diagnosis. Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder was never started, as I read the symptom list for that disorder and rejected it as a diagnosis.

The moral of my story is this: If you know you're ADHD, and you're experiencing significant and lasting symptom relief from ADHD meds, you're ADHD. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because it's simply their interpretation of the DSM-IV versus your own that is at issue. Certainly you can decide to defer to their interpretation, as they are likely more educated in this field than you (I'm making assumptions, and if you're dealing with an MD, you probably know more than he does about ADHD), but you have a far larger stake than anyone else in this, it's your life that's at issue here, rather than a very small portion of their paycheque. Don't allow passivity to affect your chances at a better life.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
addventurous (12-01-2011), MissBecky82 (12-05-2011), Wootton (11-29-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
(male)

Thanks Thunor for sharing your journey and experience. You hit the nail on the head. It's my life and no one has more interest in it or more that's at stake than me. My primary advocate has to be me.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I got my left index finger caught between a rock and a very hard steal ramp. Bone is fractured. I cut my right index finger with a surgical steel blade. The cut was deep but so clean it healed without stitches. Both injuries were caused by ADHD.

Do not under estimate how badly ADHD affects all of us.

Bob

addventurous (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
(male)

Ouch! That brings reality home.

Just getting a little java in me this afternoon reminded me a little of what it's like to be on meds. Coffee doesn't last near long enough though, and I'm trying to not drink it at all. I have an appointment with a neurologist next Wednesday so hopefully he can help me better navigate the world of ADHD meds. Just keep Strattera far, far away from me!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Just thought I would post on this thread...
my cousin (again my moms side ) told me today that her son was dx with ADHD this week.
He is three.
He is very impulsive and high energy. More than the usual child.
My cousin takes meds for OCD because of her auto negative thoughts....
When I was sharing with her all that I have been learning about myself and the brain...
how meds work...how they help me..she started being more open to the idea that
SHE probably is ADD more than OCD after all
because her mind is always on...
and like her son...
who can't slow down..even if he wanted to...
I can see how some kids are a danger.
She has an alarm on her door now because he gets out!
She is able to get a lot of outside help...programs even a PCA just to keep him busy
She doesn't want to do meds...because he's too young?
I'm not sure how young is too young if they are dangerous to themselves
and he hurts others?

Closed Thread