It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Role of medication

I'm trying to understand the role medication plays in others' lives, especially those who have been treating their ADHD for a while. I want to set realistic expectations when and if I get back on them. Someone on another forum said that medication is only 10% of the solution and that the rest is counseling / coaching and self-awareness. My therapist agrees with that statement (via email). I'd love to hear what others think?

Thanks,
Aaron

P.S. So much for my plans for getting up a little earlier to workout. I got up and packed all my stuff, but here I've sat for 30 minutes on the computer doing ADD forum stuff. Things at work were incredibly boring and frustrating yesterday. I hope today will be different, but working on mundane tasks makes for a long work day. Time to go!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Role of medication

I wanted to reply to your post script....
about the exercise
some days are like that...
at least you were halfway there, you got tomorrow

I haven't been posting a lot.
just been reading and thinking.
guess I'm trying to be patient and keep a positive perspective?
Hanging in there as well

Looking forward to this thread

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

It's really good to hear from you.

Having a positive perspective goes a long way in life. I struggle with that myself. I'm also pondering the belief that all things happen for a reason, that somebody somewhere is with me and guiding me along this path I'm on. That's a tough one for me to swallow, but I can see how that could bring a lot of relief. Maybe I just need to crush it up so it's easier to swallow. I have no idea what that means.

Aaron

Last edited by Administrator; 12-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
(male)

Update email from my therapist after I responded to his email:
"To clarify I said for me it was like 10%, for many of my clients it is as high as 80% - not all ADHD is the same and it affects us all differently."

It seems to me there is no absolute. My brain tends to work in and want to have absolutes. Bottom line: we're all unique and each person's needs will be different. Seems pretty logical and common sense. I don't know why I automatically think there is one answer for everybody.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

I know what the med did for me yesterday... It reminded me of one of your past posts when you said it was easy to do things....without having a whip put to you? something like that...That is how I would like a med to work....kind of like I'm on auto-just-go mode. Instead of change my mind all the time, don't want to, not today, can't, nope.
I didn't have to think about doing something so much as I just did it instead. It was so much easier.
I probably didn't answer your question but I thought I'd post anyway
And it reminds me of something Jane posted on someones thread about how you learn to be more organized because the meds can help you develop better habits or something like that. I know I'm out of context but I think you get the idea. If someone is on meds for some years and gets off meds maybe they got some routines down pat and can handle their weaknesses?
I'm sure you will get some posters.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Medication is important to many of us, but you're on the right track when it comes to the skill question. Jane is extremely successful and virtually never takes meds at all.

Really, the best I can tell you is that ADHD treatment is an extremely personal thing; it will be different for you than it will be for anyone else. Myself, I find that in the past 6 months, I've been able to cut back on my Dexedrine intake from 45mg to 15mg daily (that's in addition to my 450mg Wellbutrin), with no decline in function. I consider that a positive development. Cutting back wasn't a conscious decision so much as difficulty remembering to take my meds after breakfast, but I figured if I could get away without taking those doses, it's probably not a bad thing. Ultimately, I would like to get to where I can function without meds, but considering what it took to get me functioning in the first place, I'm dubious as to the likelihood of that scenario.

Take your time. Don't expect too much from the meds; the biggest thing I had to learn to accept in my own treatment was that the meds would not be the panacea that I'd hoped they would be. Do your best to learn the skills that you need to function on a day to day basis, and don't put too much pressure on yourself. After all, the best way for an ADHDer to shut down and lose all function is to pile too much stress on themselves. You've started yourself on a path that will take several years to fully walk, and will eventually show itself to be the most important and rewarding journey you've ever taken.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread