It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
(male)

TheSouthpaw HB User
ADD, OCD, or both?

Ever since the sixth grade, (I am now in college) I have always had music playing in my head. In this music, I can hear peoples voices, the background music for songs, their pitches, etc. Anyway, I find this ability to have music playing in my head to be a blessing, yet a curse at the same time. It is a blessing because I think it causes my busy life to not have as much stress due to my head playing songs I like. Also, whenever I am NOT trying to concentrate on something, I can NORMALLY pick the song I want to listen to. However, it is also a curse because when I am trying to study, concentrate, or read a book, the music can get loud and if the song that is playing has words/lyrics in it, those lyrics get in the way of my concentration and I CAN NOT change the song playing. After doing some research, I think this is an OCD problem.

However, even though the song in my head is OCD related, I think I might also have ADD. Another problem is that my memory is horrible and concentration is pretty bad too. My memory is so bad that after I do a homework assignment the night before, when I look at it the next day I am like, "How did I even do this?" My concentration is pretty bad to due to my brain always thinking of doing other things causing me to not be able to focus on the item I am trying to focus on.

My parents have said that it is due to me having so much going on, that my memory is poor. However, I think not and would like to have some second opinions before seeing whether I should see a doctor.

P.S. I am NOT at all depressed. In fact, I have been the happiest I have ever been for the past 2 years. I just cant concentrate as much as I want to or remember anything that is causing the problem.

I really appreciate any type of feedback. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read and respond to this. It means alot to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: ADD, OCD, or both?

Hi Southpaw,
You've taken a step in a positive direction for posting what you did here. You know or at least suspect that something is going on, so I strongly support you in seeking out answers for yourself like you're already doing. Seeing a therapist of some sort who specializes in ADD and/or OCD sounds like the next step. Your life is worth checking this out further. If you do have either of these conditions and can get some help for it, it will change your life for the better and maybe in a big way. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. We're always here.

Aaron

Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: ADD, OCD, or both?

Hi! I am new to ADD. Just learning. I found a book in a local used book store called "Change your brain, Change your life" by Dr. Daniel Amen and it talks about ADD/OCD & ETC. It is possible for one part of our brain to work overtime while the other shuts down. Both can coexist. He would recommend treating the main problem first. It definitely would be worth seeking a professional opinion for your concerns.

Last month I told my pdoc that my experience with trying Ritalin was like:
Instead of hearing 5 radio stations playing at once, I could tune into 2.
It made functioning much easier.
Not that it was actual music, like you. But sometimes that happens and I like that

Closed Thread