It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

vic-girl HB User
What to do

In a previous thread I asked about ADHD. I think I have it, teachers at my school do too and all the signs point to it... my teacher even called my parents to recomend me getting diagnosed. Thing is my mom thinks I am just being self-pitying and silly and so does my dad. They say that I'm too smart to have ADHD and that i just want to get diagnosed cos it's "cool"... which isnt true, i want to because i think i genuinely do have it and its impariring my learning and life. I am so depressed about it that i sometimes just want to die, not go to school and just block out the whole world. My whole life I just felt so dumb and bad, always having people shout for not doing my homework or daydreaming or forgetting something or being messy and disorganized and lazy and careless. How do I get my parents to see I am not coping..

I have already said but they just keep going "oh youre just being silly, stop pitying yourself, stop being lazy, put in more effort". i put in so much effort yet somehow i suck at everything. i cant concentrate or focus and i cant help it, its how i have been all of my life. I want to be smart like everyone else but as i get older it all gets harder and worse and i cant cope anymore. I am meant to be making straight A's. What am I supposed to do??? I am in 10th grade by the way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: What to do

Hi vic-girl,
Welcome to the forum! I feel quite angry when I hear of other people, including parents, discounting someone else's experience. That's a tough position you're in with you them. It sounds like they're discounting your teachers and you. Have you taken any of the online ADHD tests? I don't have a link to one off-hand, but if you google "adhd test" you'll find several. Maybe if you can take 2-3 of those and they recognize you as ADHD then you'll have something to bring to your parents to back up what you and your teachers are saying.

P.S. If those test don't identify you as ADHD that doesn't mean you don't have it or some form of it. ADHD can take different forms in different people.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Aaron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

People that have ADD are very smart indeed.
Do what you can and do it well.
Don't spend time on things that stress you.
I know you have to go to school.
Try to be as compliant as possible.
Find support with a school counselor perhaps.
Myself I am in my thirties and just figuring out I have ADD.
I went through high school struggling.
Looking back I wish I would have known and had the courage you have to seek help.
Good for you.
Celebrate your good days and small accomplishments.
I'm sure there are many things you CAN do even with some struggles.
Keep your chin up.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

On the other hand, I may suggest explaining to your parents that:

if you couldn't see clearly, say your vision was blurry, they would take you to the eye doctor for an exam? would they?

if yes, then why won't they at least take you to talk to some one about how you are thinking and how it affects your daily life?

To bring the illustration further:

it could be up to the eye doctor to decide if you need glasses and if so to what degree or maybe just eye drops?

Sometimes the eye doc will even say we need to adjust our health habits (maybe) to improve our vision....same with our mental health ?

But, if your parents don't ever want you "wearing glasses", you probably won't be able to get to the "eye" doctor until you are old enough to go on your own.

Try to be as responsible as possible in every way you can to show them how serious you are if you really want help. This should show them you are sincere and mature.

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-11-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Closed Thread