It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: New med and other ramblings

Just so you know I saved your reply to Evernote so I can go back and reference it from time to time. I've also found meditation to be very helpful to calm my mind. Just get away, sit in a comfortable position, close my eyes, and concentrate on my breathing. Very slowly, in and out. Also imagining being at the beach. If I can do that for 10 minutes or so it really helps.

I think I'm beginning to understand this skills not pills thing.

Aaron

The Following User Says Thank You to addventurous For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

Not such a good past two days for me. I feel like the Focalin is doing very little. It's giving me some energy, but it seems to also be making me feel more irritable. Or is it my job doing that? A combination of both probably. As for focus, that's gone. On the positive side, however, I've had no headaches for the past three days.

I've been on 10 mg Focalin for 5 days. According to my neurologist that's a good starting dose. The last thing he said to me last Wednesday (12/14) is that he would like to see me again in a month. This once again is the part I absolutely hate. Wouldn't an ADD-experienced doctor instead say, "Give me a call in a 4 or 5 days and let me know how it's going. We might need to adjust the dosage."? As it stands now I have the choice of waiting a month or calling my neurologist only one week after our first appointment to discuss my dosage. The more I call beforehand the more I feel like a wacko nut job hypochondriac.

I've heard the phase, "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." For me that is very true lately, but I also don't think life is supposed to be about keeping my mind constantly occupied so it doesn't retreat into a downward thought spiral.

Aaron

The following user gives a hug of support to addventurous:
LessStress38 (12-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Sorry Double post

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-21-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: double post

Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Call....that's why they have nurses and the docs get the big bucks...that's their job..you don't know what he's going to tell you. it's ok to let him know you need a way to communicate....find out about email...maybe it is an option.
It's important, it's your life, it's their job.

another option is you could wait a full week...I say that because I emailed my pdoc within the first five days and she told me what to do for the rest of the week...and then some actually

It's up to you.
But remember don't expect to much from meds and you won't be disappointed.
Granted, we want them to work.
In the beginning they seem great. You may need the increase.
But, if you do too soon, maybe the headaches?
It's great you don't have any headaches.
The irritability, well, yeah watch that. It could be the med.
When you do increase, you will know...then maybe Focalin not your med?
Or irritability could go away, it could be your body is adjusting?

I keeping thinking of THUNOR saying "take it slow" from some of his posts about meds....it's tough because we are trying so hard all the time and we want help like NOW. At least that's how I feel mostly
Hang in there!

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-21-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
(male)

I put a call in this morning so hopefully I will hear something later today. I skipped today, but I did read somewhere online that just because a lower dose has some negative side effects that does not mean you shouldn't increase. I wish there was a stimulant that didn't give me that "high" feeling. To me it feels like that muddles things up and causes me to expect the meds to do things they're not intended to do. Then I get disappointed and discouraged, but I'm doing my best to stay positive and know that I will come through this if I don't give up. It's my life, and if I want it I've got to fight for myself.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeree View Post
I put a call in this morning so hopefully I will hear something later today. I skipped today, but I did read somewhere online that just because a lower dose has some negative side effects that does not mean you shouldn't increase. I wish there was a stimulant that didn't give me that "high" feeling. To me it feels like that muddles things up and causes me to expect the meds to do things they're not intended to do. Then I get disappointed and discouraged, but I'm doing my best to stay positive and know that I will come through this if I don't give up. It's my life, and if I want it I've got to fight for myself.
Good for you!
Are you skipping today to see about the irritability?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
(male)

I'm skipping today because of the irritability, yes. I've been feeling discouraged and a little depressed as well, but I'm attributing that mostly to the fact that I'm continuing to struggle with my meds. I've struggled with emotional and mental issues most of my adult life, and I thought I'd found the answer with Adderall. The first few days were amazing until the headaches came on. Since then it's been an up and down roller coaster with bouts of wondering if I have ADD or if I'm just kidding myself. I've self-diagnosed myself with so many things before. I just want to feel normal. I can't imagine that's too much to ask.

Just got a call from my neurologist's nurse and I'm going to 20 mg a day starting tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
(male)

I just did some reading on the web about over-focused ADD as described by Dr. Amen. I relate to that a lot, and stimulant medications actually make it worse according to one web page I read. I need to read Dr. Amen's book about the different types of ADD. Please hold while I see if I can find this book at the library...

I just reserved it! I'm excited to read about over-focused ADD. It sounds a lot like me. I hope it is me because that could explain why stimulant medication alone doesn't seem to help after the initial euphoria effects wear off. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
(female)

Glad you're getting the book.
Nice you got a quick response from doc office.

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-21-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
(male)

Quick prediction before bedtime: I get back on Focalin tomorrow at 20 mg a day, and it works for a 2-3 days before I start feeling irritable again. I call my neurologist to let him know this and he says he's like me to give Wellbutrin a try. (On my first visit he mentioned Wellbutrin as a possibility if Focalin didn't work.) This is my prediction because after doing some web surfing today I'm feeling pretty confident that I have over-focused ADD which generally requires an antidepressant to take care of the irritability and a stimulant to take care of the focus. We'll see how it goes and how good of a fortune teller I am.

Nighty-night!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #26
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

You just might have it there Aaron! All Wellbutrin did for me was to give me insomnia. And I take meds that help me sleep, because now I know that I am the "hyperactive" in ADHD.

I looked into the non-stimulant meds, but they seem to have exactly the same side effects as the stimulants.

I'm really hoping that this is good news for you Aaron and that you're able to get a good result with Wellbutrin.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
(female)

What antidepressants have you tried?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
(male)

For ADD, none. For depression I've taken quite a few over the years: Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, and Lexapro are the ones I remember. I have not tried Wellbutrin, however.

I took 20 mg of Focalin this morning, and I can tell you that I'm in a not very good mood since around lunchtime. For overfocused ADD the stimulants are said to make things even worse according to Dr. Amen because they cause you to focus even more on (negative) things. I feel like Mr. Grumpy now though earlier I felt pretty good. My wife can see it, too. She asked me a few minutes ago if I had stuff on my mind so I must have that "I have things on my mind" look that she knows so well. She has asked me that question often since I've been taking stimulants so this is not just a Focalin thing for me. The good news is still no headache! Of course the day is not over yet. I usually get them in the afternoon and evening hours.

I'll definitely keep my progress updated here. Now it's time for me to go check out your thread.

Aaron

Old 12-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
(female)

Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor,
(in the book)
are mentioned as being paired with a stimulant
thats why I asked...
Wellbutrin could be stimulating enough?
I have tried nortryptiline ...it made me not care about doing anything!
I was suppose to be taking it for my chronic headaches...
I would sleep great, have sweet dreams and
would wake up happy but with a bad headache!
But...I could smile about it!! lol
oh the irony
it didn't help that I had gained 10 lbs,
(after 2 months) didn't care about a thing
finally my headaches went away
my doc was like, "the med is working"
but I'm like "I'm now depressed"
I stopped showering and exercising
because I was getting depressed??...ugh
I got away from that and got on topamax...(antiseizue med)
Anyway, I wouldn't mind trying Wellbutrin because it is not a tricyclic.

How's your productivity today?

Hang in there...you are getting closer to getting this figured out!

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to LessStress38 For This Useful Post:
addventurous (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
(male)

You stopped exercising?! That's a bad sign for sure!

I decided to take a last-minute vacation day today since I didn't take any time off work for the holidays. Productivity was good this morning, but I started feeling very irritable around lunchtime. The second hit of Focalin is about to kick in so that should help a bit until I come down off of it again.

Gotta go. Wife just got home.

Closed Thread