It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
New med and other ramblings

As some of you know I had an appointment yesterday with a neurologist. I was tired of being my own doctor with my ADHD medication. Too many side effects, especially migraine headaches. Yesterday we decided to give Focalin XR a shot since I've already tried Adderall, Ritalin, Vyvanse, and Strattera on my own. Focalin is a derivative (I think that's the word he used) of Ritalin, so taking 10 mg of Focalin is like taking 20 mg of Ritalin. It's a once-a-day extended release dosage.

I didn't take it today because I didn't sleep very well last night or the two previous nights. I didn't want to introduce Focalin into my system until my sleep pattern returned to normal. I'm in a pattern of running all over the place trying to finish everything on my to-do list for a few days until I exhaust myself and basically stop (feeling like) being productive at all. This is the second week in a row of that, and it sucks. That's probably one of the main reasons my sleep has sufferred. I haven't exercised in two days either, and I can feel it in my brain for sure. Hopefully I can level back out again tonight and tomorrow.

I'm seriously thinking of trying to find an ADD coach. Has anyone ever used an ADD coach? What was their rate and what was your experience like?

Aaron

Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: New med and other ramblings

Hello, tired!
I guess what you need is a well deserved break?
Time to put yourself on your list or put your list aside?
Do you take breaks when you are at home?
Like for example, you have 3 things to do at home, do you take a break in between?
even if it's for 10min?

What did he say about the headaches?
What did he say to do if you get one?
How do you contact his office? call? email?

Last edited by LessStress38; 12-15-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

I've got to find a speed between stopped and blazing fast. That's the hard thing for me. I'm either 0 mph or 100 mph. Nowhere in between. I try to take breaks during the day wherever I'm working, but I always feel like there's not enough time for me to take breaks. I always feel like I need to be doing something and yet I sit at my computer and waste time away procrastinating at doing tasks that I need to be doing. That's exactly what I'm doing now, but I also consider this a well-deserved and needed break for myself.

When you say "at home" I assume you mean when I'm not working. I give myself some breaks. I just push too hard some days I think. There's been some stuff going on at work too that's been bothering me a lot, too. (That's typical for me from time to time no matter where I work.)

As for the headaches he said I can take pain relievers but that ultimately the headaches should go away. I told him that they did go away eventually on Adderall but that after they did I felt very irritable. I'm hopeful that Focalin won't give me headaches, but I'm prepared to battle through it again to see if they'll go away in a week or two. Especially since I'm getting it for free for 12 months through a promotion from the manufacturer. The only way to contact his office is the good old phone, but I'm hopeful he'll be responsive, and I'm certain he's at least more knowledgeable about ADD.

BTW, I'm scheduled for an EEG Monday and will be taking a computerized ADD test sometime in the next few weeks.

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you with Adderall. That's great. Slow and steady, skills not just pills, and all those cool sayings.

Aaron

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

Back to your question about an ADD coach, my psychologist has taken that role for me. The only unfortunate part is that I can see him only once a week. The other unfortunate part is that most of what we talk about is gone as soon I as I leave his office.

I'm really hoping here that I'm going to be able to start taking psycho-stimulant medication in the new year so I can start thinking more or less normally without stuff blazing through my head one way and the other every few seconds. That way, perhaps I can be my own ADD coach.

The following user gives a hug of support to Wootton:
LessStress38 (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWootton View Post
Back to your question about an ADD coach, my psychologist has taken that role for me. The only unfortunate part is that I can see him only once a week. The other unfortunate part is that most of what we talk about is gone as soon I as I leave his office.

I'm really hoping here that I'm going to be able to start taking psycho-stimulant medication in the new year so I can start thinking more or less normally without stuff blazing through my head one way and the other every few seconds. That way, perhaps I can be my own ADD coach.
what meds have you tried? if any?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
(female)

None yet specifically for ADHD. I was tried on Wellbutrin last winter for depression and anxiety but the side effects were too troublesome. My ADHD wasn't diagnosed until this past summer. I have some fairly minor cardiac problems so when and if I do start taking psycho-stimulants, I'll have to wear a heart monitor for awhile for awhile. That's supposed to start in mid-January according to the current schedule.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWootton View Post
None yet specifically for ADHD. I was tried on Wellbutrin last winter for depression and anxiety but the side effects were too troublesome. My ADHD wasn't diagnosed until this past summer. I have some fairly minor cardiac problems so when and if I do start taking psycho-stimulants, I'll have to wear a heart monitor for awhile for awhile. That's supposed to start in mid-January according to the current schedule.
interesting...it will be here before ya know it! just a month away...
It's encouraging to see you are so optimistic....

I look for support where ever I can.
But, I'm like zeeree, sometimes I'm all or nothing and it's hard to grip a balance.

I find I do better with a schedule. I need accountability. But then If it's too strict, I resent it and rebel?
or too full, I get overwhelmed and give up halfway in... ugh

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
(female)

Overwhelmed ... yeah, that's my current take on life these days. What makes it worse is that, being a trifle obsessive, I've managed to collect more than 200 house plants. I've had to cut my watering job into two for me to be able to tackle it sanely ... one plant at a time ... don't rush ... don't get distracted ... oh, look shiny!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I've been doing a lot of reading up on all these ADD/ADHD drugs and I have come to the conclusion that they are all cocaine-based. Think about it.....give me your thoughts.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
(male)

I'm relieved to read some postings about feeling overwhelmed because that's exactly how I feel this morning. I have so many things on my to-do list I don't know where to start or how to prioritize. At times having an actual to-do list is helpful, but at times it just reminds me of all the things I have to do. It's the latter today. There are so many I don't know where to begin. I suppose some would say just pick one and do it, and don't try to do everything. I just wonder if doing one thing is going to help me feel any better because it's only one of ten things. I don't want my headstone to read, "Here lies Aaron. He was always busy checking things off his to-do list but never quite finished."

As for Focalin XR I finished day one. I did get a headache but I took an ibuprofen so it didn't last long. That's my plan from now on. Whenever my headache gets to about a 4 out of 10 I'm going to pop 400 mg of IB. If I do that for more than two weeks I'm done. The next step my neurologist suggested is Wellbutrin, but I'm surprised he didn't mention Intuniv.

Still feeling overwhelmed, but I'm about to go to breakfast with a friend. I'm not sure whether that will help or not, but it can't hurt can it?

Aaron

Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #11
(male)

CWootton, I want to also encourage you to hang in there. I think that's the most important thing for all of us, and that's why this message board is so good. I get a lot of support here from you and others. There is an answer out there for you I know. I hope you have/had a good weekend.

Aaron

Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #12
(female)

I just wanted to make some suggestions for your to do list today...to do something you
1. know you can finish relatively timely
2. will give your confidence a boost
3. cannot be put off another day
4. Do something you don't want to do (first), when you have the energy and tolerance for it opposed to later when frustration is more likely to set in?
5. don't forget to take regular breaks and hydrate, take a vitamin, healthy snack, listen to music while you work...etc.
Have some down time with the fam?

Sometimes I keep the same list for the whole week, that way I look at what I have already done so far..seeing what's been crossed off...not making the day seem so full...I know I got the week to work on these....

hope it helps

The Following User Says Thank You to LessStress38 For This Useful Post:
addventurous (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
(female)

Thanks Aaron; I'm getting a lot of support from this Board for which I thank everyone, and it really does help to have someone in one's corner. Living with this condition and not knowing it for my entire life, accepting my 'quirks' and not seeing anything remotely similar in friends, unless they were crackpots, has been a trifle disturbing at times. And sometimes very embarrassing.

Since this tread is into ramblings, I offer the following, a story my brother told me. I was 4 years old; my heart surgery was a few weeks away and my grandmother was visiting from BC. We were all in the car going someplace and I was in the back playing, and literally bouncing off the upholstery and ceiling and back again. All of a sudden I stopped, laid down on the seat and was lights out. My grandmother started screaming telling my dad to stop the car, that I'd died. My 7 year old brother said "Nah, she always does that, she's just asleep".

Edited to say: I keep forgetting to change my "mood meter". I guess that means I belong here, eh?

Last edited by Wootton; 12-17-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: D'oh!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessStress38 View Post
I just wanted to make some suggestions for your to do list today...to do something you
1. know you can finish relatively timely
2. will give your confidence a boost
3. cannot be put off another day
4. Do something you don't want to do (first), when you have the energy and tolerance for it opposed to later when frustration is more likely to set in?
5. don't forget to take regular breaks and hydrate, take a vitamin, healthy snack, listen to music while you work...etc.
Have some down time with the fam?

Sometimes I keep the same list for the whole week, that way I look at what I have already done so far..seeing what's been crossed off...not making the day seem so full...I know I got the week to work on these....

hope it helps
Thanks for the tips stressless! I copied them into an Evernote for future reference. They helped a lot today. I had a task to clean my office for an hour, and when I started I thought I'd only do it for 30 minutes max. Well here I am at least an hour later (I completely lost track of time), and I've kicked some butt! It feels great!

Have you always been good at time management, or do you just give good advice? Seriously time management is something I could use some training in. I assume that's something that many ADDers struggle with.

Aaron

Last edited by addventurous; 12-17-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added my accomplishment

Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
(female)

Sometimes giving advice is easier than using it for oneself? I pick up ideas here and there from trying to improve myself. I'm on again/off again, like in waves....If I can only get out of my own way sometimes!

The Following User Says Thank You to LessStress38 For This Useful Post:
addventurous (12-19-2011)
Closed Thread