It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

Grace817 HB User
Dextroamphetamine Discontinued?

Hello Everyone,

Well today at the pharmacy was lovely. I am on 10mg IR Dextroamphetamine tablets three times a day. My prescription was set to be filled today so I went to the pharmacy around four to drop it off. About an hour later the pharmacist called to tell me that they could not fill my prescription and no other pharmacies in the area would be able to either because the pills are on "indefinite backorder with no explanation from the company". Umm okk...so I go home and do some investigating and see that the company Teva does have them on backorder and is not saying why. So my question is this...what is an equivalent medication to be put on? Has this happened before or does it seem like they are not going to even make this med anymore? I do not have insurance and pay about 50 dollars a month for this and I think if I go with Adderal it will be much more expensive. I probably called about ten pharmacies today and none of them had the med. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grace817 For This Useful Post:
Rorer714 (12-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
(male)

Rorer714 HB User
Angry Re: Dextroamphetamine Discontinued?

To whom it may concern:
I have been on C-II stimulants since June 28, 1994, and I went to my pharmacist, of 10 years, who also is the owner, of the indepentant non chain
pharmacy and he could not fill my script for 90 (ninety) 12.5 mg Generic
mixed salt amphetamines) "Generic Adderall mfg by Teva of Sellersville, PA
formerly known as Barr Labs. I live in a city with a population well over 1/2
million people, and the entire city is sold out of all 7 versions of Adderall
brand, and Adderall generic, by Teva, (the central wholesaler/warehouse)
but there are some still on the shelves in my state, of existing stock of Adderall
including my own pharmacist, who had a one week supply left of 10 mg generic
a/k/a mixed amphetaamine salts tabs in the 10 mg. size, and, the wholesaler for this large city had only 20 mg. left in stock.
I only faced this issue in the year I believe either 1999 or 2000, when a fire
at the (then) Richwood Corporation, who (then) made the branded patented
Adderall in Kentucky, had a fire, that interrupted the distribution and mfg of Adderall for 90 to 120 days, if I remember correctly.
THERE IS IMMINENT DANGER IN MY HUMBLE OPINION OF A LONG TERM
SHORTAGE OF ONE HUNDRED PERCENT PURE DEXTROAMPHETAMINE FIVE MG AND TEN MILLIGRAM TABLETS IMMEDIATE RELEASE.
A. GSK removed the 5 mg name brand Dexedrine from the USA in the second quarter of 2009, after a record production run of 67 years!!!!!
B. Richwood Inc, who sold the "DextroStrat" 5mg and 10 mg name via a merger or buyout, became ShireUS, and they in turn sold the license to produce
DextroStat, to Barr Labs, however, Teva of Israel, bought out Barr Labs in December of 2008, and in 2009, DexroStat, was removed from the market in both milligram sizes.
C. Competitor Generic firm, Ethex was shut down in 2009, or early 2010, by the FDA and/or DEA due to inconsistency in quality, allegedly selling too strong a verson of pure dextroamphetamine.

D. Sandoz, who were manufacturing Dextroamphetamine as a generic, is in a
gray zone for the time being, I do not know if they are still manufacturing
dextroamphetamine Instant Release tabs or not, but, were having industry
precursor supply problems to make the drug, or discontinued them?????

E. Barr labs, (now Teva of Sellersville, PA USA) is sold out of both 5 mg or
10 mg dextroamphetamine, and, the drug is either backordered, or is no
longer being produced, rumors are flying, and I do not have any facts,
nor does my pharmacists.

F. It is my understanding that, Dexedrine is made "under a special license
from founder Glaxo Smith Kline to have a small pharm firm distribute the
drug, in 5 mg I/R size, and, in the Dexedrine Spansules 10 and 15 mg
size in Canada. You have to be physically in Canada to get the meds, it
is unavailable by anyone (canadian law) to ship a controlled substance
even to the USA with a bona fide fresh prescription.

G. It is available all over the United Kingdom, again, one has to physically
be in the UK to present a prescription to a pharmacy, and most likely,
one may have to get a local British MD to re-write the USA script.

I am 60 yrs old, and remember, and I have in my possession a 1968
Physicians Desk Reference, and I counted sixty , yes 60 different versions
of amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, and methamphetamine singular
products, with or without added hypnotics, barbituates, even the drug
methaqualone and/or Nembutal )pentobarbital in combined forms in
that USA bible for the MD's. I never would have believed with now
millions of adults with ADD ADHD Narcolepsy, and Refractroy Depression
a/k./a Depression NOS, mostly, for the elderly, have what I believe is a
motivations by our DEA, and, several patented large pharmacy mfgs,
to combine forces to cause this disruption of lets say a controversial med
since Adolft Hitler, first discovered the drug from chemists, in the 1930's
to distribute to his soldiers, to keep them awake and focused, what later
became WWII, and also used by our USAF for B-52 flight crews during the
Vietnam War and by all of the Astronauts, who went to the Moon in 1969,
all had Dexedrine in their emergency kits, so they could stay focused on
a need to be alert in potentially dangerous missions. Even the late ,
President John F Kennedy, took Dexedrine, as, has later been revealed,
in the Freedom of Infomatiion act via Dr. Jacobson, starting with the
famous nationally televised Presidentual Debates in 1960!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
(male)

Rorer714 HB User
Re: Dextroamphetamine Discontinued?

Grace817,
This is my third attempt to respond to your inquiry, I am a newbee to this board, but, I consider myself a near expert, on stimulants, since taking my first Dexedrine Spansule in 1969. I am now 60 years old, and, all I have to tell you is bad news, plus I am worn out of the earlier attempts with footnotes and citations from 17 PDR's and $700.00 set of Int'l
Martindate the Extra Pharmacopoeia 2009 edition, and the Mexican Diccionario de Especialidades Farmaceuticalas (Latin PDR).
1. There is a critical USA shortage of immediate release amphetamines in the here and now in all 50 states, both generic and brand.
2. There is a critical USA shortage of intermediate, release, 4 salt amphetamines in both
generic and brand form in the entire USa in all 50 states.
3. The shortage is so serious, it has overlapped, and created, most recently a "scattered"
shortage, of the much more expensive, "Dexedrine Spansules" tapered end sustained release, partly because, Glaxo Smith had dumped and "farmed out world production of
all forms of the stimulant business, they historically had were no 1, once in sales in their inventory of amphetmines, like, 30 years ago.
4. Dexedrine Sulfate orange heart embossed E-19's production was stopped with very short notice, during 2009. (the 5 mg, orange hearts) that Abbott Labs made for GSK the last 3 or 4 yrs it was produced.
5. DestroStat, a tradename, adopted by Richwood Inc. of Kentucky, who merged with the
pharmaceutical mfg ShireUS, continued to make, "DexroStat" with a Orange book rating of AB, out of 21 tier levels, but short of the AA top of the line tier level (final step up in quality rating" of the original Dexedrine Sulfate 5 mg instant release orange hearts. This even continued, until lawsuit, with a agreement for Barr Labs to have production rights to
manufacture DextroStat 5 and 10 mg sizes, end result" DextroStat was eliminated from the inventory of ethical pharmiceuticals shortly after, Teva of Israel bought 100% interest in. Barr Labs and its subsidiaries, Pliva Pharma and, Duramed Pharma, in the USA, several yrs ago.
6. Ethex Pharmaceuticals had a seize and desist order placed on them either by the FDA inspectors, the National Academy of Sciences, and/ or our DEA, during the past 18 months.
It is alleged, that there were inconsistencies, in terms of sampes taken for GS/MS inspectors, found out that they allegedly exceeded the quality control standards by making a number of theri pill "too strong vs, too weak". Thus, another US manufacturer is taken out by our goverments intervention.Orange Book rating AA. based out of Missouri.
7. The remaining manufacturer of pure dextroamphetamiine in 5 size tabs, is guess who?
Barr Labs, again,National Drug Code, 00555-0952-02, 100 tabs for $27.78 AWP, averate wholesale price, and 100 tabs of 10 mg Dextroamphetamine, for $56.06 AWP, with a industry mark yo of around 29% on top of that.
8. My pharmacist, told me my beat thing I can do is try of hussle over to my vfery shinks office, and to fet him to rewrite,90 or 120 count ten milligram tabs, since,"they sell easy at 10 mg blue opal shapewd tabs,
9. IF you have deep pockets, and are rich, you can fly to Vancouver Canada, and bring Usa precriibion bottle and medical records, in a attempt to interface and exchnged the two scripts.
`9,, you can always go on the other side of the pond,, and stay in a upscale hotel with concerie servies and aks your conceirie, for some helo. That has worked fo me on the pnone,or a casual visit

Closed Thread