It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

Kavalos1979 HB User
Vyvanse and weight loss

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is taking Vyvanse 40mg. My main concern is his starting was nearly 59 pounds, he has been on his Meds for almost 9 months and has lost 10 pounds and some ounces. Does anyone know what I can feed him to help him get his calories and gain pounds??!?!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: Vyvanse and weight loss

I have no first-hand experience with this, but I've read about it online in many people taking stimulant meds for ADD. Some even go off the meds because of it. The only thing I can think of would be the weight-gaining protein shakes you get at a store like GNC. This is usually for people wanting to "bulk up" at the gym, so I'm not sure if taking it for the sole purpose of maintaining or gaining weight is a good idea. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
(female)

kaytaybicks HB User

I had a lot of trouble eating when I was first prescribed Vyvanse - what ended up working for me was drinking orange juice with a powder supplement in it (I'm allergic to whey protein, so it was some other one) and eating Luna bars. They have them in a ton of flavors, kind of like a lighter clif bar, and a ton of substance without "substance."

I also make sure to eat a solid breakfast (when I don't oversleep), especially something like oatmeal with nuts and fruit, or a PB&banana sandwich to kickstart the day.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

Kavalos, I'm sorry that your son has lost so much weight taking this medication. I hope it hasn't affected his health otherwise. I agree with the others, try giving him a lot of high protein foods in his diet, and load his lunchbox with yummy, high calorie, nutritious snacks too.

This gives me an idea. I'm still not taking ADHD meds and I've gained 30 lbs taking useless anti-depressant meds over the past 14 months. This weight gain has done wonders for my depression (sarcasm is my second name). Does anyone think I should suggest Vyvanse for my ADHD to my psychiatrist to try to do double duty and help to counter-balance this weight gain? I think she's planning on trying me out on Concerta. I see her next week.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalos1979 View Post
My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is taking Vyvanse 40mg. My main concern is his starting was nearly 59 pounds, he has been on his Meds for almost 9 months and has lost 10 pounds and some ounces. Does anyone know what I can feed him to help him get his calories and gain pounds??!?!
peanut butter....even on a spoon for a snack
they have high calorie nutrition drinks for kids
maybe a couple hours before bed he can have one?
they have lots of flavors.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

That is a huge percentage of his body weight. IMO, that is detrimental to a growing body. I would get him off the Vyvanse ASAP and onto something that will allow him to grow properly.

Trying to force feed a child because of a med side effect is wrong. There has to be a better solution.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
(female)

gadgetgirl13 HB User
Wink Re: Vyvanse and weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWootton View Post
Kavalos, I'm sorry that your son has lost so much weight taking this medication. I hope it hasn't affected his health otherwise. I agree with the others, try giving him a lot of high protein foods in his diet, and load his lunchbox with yummy, high calorie, nutritious snacks too.

This gives me an idea. I'm still not taking ADHD meds and I've gained 30 lbs taking useless anti-depressant meds over the past 14 months. This weight gain has done wonders for my depression (sarcasm is my second name). Does anyone think I should suggest Vyvanse for my ADHD to my psychiatrist to try to do double duty and help to counter-balance this weight gain? I think she's planning on trying me out on Concerta. I see her next week.

Thanks!
I would personally try the Concerta! I am going back on Concerta. I was on Straterra for 8 years. I kept having to get my mgs. upped and upped until I had reached the max and it became totally ineffective. It also depressed me. I went to my doctor at the first of December and was put on 18 mg of Concerta, it worked well. I loved how I felt - so productive and energetic!! Then in the first part of January, he doubled the dose to 36 mg. I took it for two days and about crawled out of my own skin....I was so itchy. After I went back to the doctor - I was told to stop the Concerta and try Vyvanse - 20 mg. I took it today and it caused me to be SO sick...I still feel sick from it. I got a major migraine on my left side and visual disturbances. I couldn't see out of my right eye for many hours. My hands went numb and my head hurt and still does.

I would not recommend this medication for anyone!! I am going to go back to a small dosage of Concerta! Seemed to do the trick for me!!

Another thing - I wouldn't just take these medications for weight loss....When I first started taking the Straterra - I noticed weight loss and then my weight evened out. Concerta causes weight loss - I can't feel when I am hungry - feel full all the time. I'm not sure about Vyvanse - I don't feel full - I feel very sick on it!!

Be careful!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
(female)

gadgetgirl13 HB User

Quote:

Thanks!
I would personally try the Concerta! I am going back on Concerta. I was on Straterra for 8 years. I kept having to get my mgs. upped and upped until I had reached the max and it became totally ineffective. It also depressed me. I went to my doctor at the first of December and was put on 18 mg of Concerta, it worked well. I loved how I felt - so productive and energetic!! Then in the first part of January, he doubled the dose to 36 mg. I took it for two days and about crawled out of my own skin....I was so itchy. After I went back to the doctor - I was told to stop the Concerta and try Vyvanse - 20 mg. I took it today and it caused me to be SO sick...I still feel sick from it. I got a major migraine on my left side and visual disturbances. I couldn't see out of my right eye for many hours. My hands went numb and my head hurt and still does.

I would not recommend this medication for anyone!! I am going to go back to a small dosage of Concerta! Seemed to do the trick for me!!

Another thing - I wouldn't just take these medications for weight loss....When I first started taking the Straterra - I noticed weight loss and then my weight evened out. Concerta causes weight loss - I can't feel when I am hungry - feel full all the time. I'm not sure about Vyvanse - I don't feel full - I feel very sick on it!!

Be careful!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
(female)

gadgetgirl13 HB User

Quote:

Thanks!

Be careful!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

Thank you for this information gadgetgirl, its helped me very much in making a decision. It'll be a few weeks before I find out if I can take psychostimulants and now I have information I can rely on as to side-effects from real people. I'm actually doing quite well getting my weight down (slowly) and considering that Xmas had no effect on my weight, I must be doing something else right If I knew what it was, I could bottle it!

Stay happy.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Thank you for this information gadgetgirl, its helped me very much in making a decision. It'll be a few weeks before I find out if I can take psychostimulants and now I have information I can rely on as to side-effects from real people. I'm actually doing quite well getting my weight down (slowly) and considering that Xmas had no effect on my weight, I must be doing something else right If I knew what it was, I could bottle it!

Stay happy.
Glad u posted! I was wondering how u were!

Closed Thread