It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Thumbs up I need to give myself credit

<My pdoc told me I need to give myself credit for what I get done!>
It takes time to repair years of low self-esteem.

I need to recognize accomplishment no matter how seemingly small. Often times ADD can leave me feeling like I lack the ability or skills needed to get things done. But that's not true. I am a very smart and able person! It is just how I get them done is more of a challenge.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-28-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: Positive Peer Postings

Would you believe that my office is finally getting cleaned up? It's been a disaster for years, but in the past several weeks I have made amazing progress! The absolute hardest part for me had always been getting up the motivation and energy to clean it up. I've learned that all I need to do is set a small goal for myself to just do a little clean up work. Amazingly once I get started I tend to lose track of time and make tremendous progress! That's a huge lesson for me in all things I want to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Positive Peer Postings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeree View Post
Would you believe that my office is finally getting cleaned up? It's been a disaster for years, but in the past several weeks I have made amazing progress! The absolute hardest part for me had always been getting up the motivation and energy to clean it up. I've learned that all I need to do is set a small goal for myself to just do a little clean up work. Amazingly once I get started I tend to lose track of time and make tremendous progress! That's a huge lesson for me in all things I want to do.
That's great! Keep it up...a place for everything...everything in it's place?

I cleaned the top of the microwave, which I have kept a blind eye to for a while... I also did the inside, which wasn't bad...but once you do a part of something you see something else and keep going....sometimes

Today I made a healthy meal I have been putting off.

Dropped off 4 bags to good will.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: I need to give myself credit

I had a victory today. Yesterday was an exceedingly long day at work. I was bored out of my mind and did nothing to remedy that so time just dragged on forever. Last night I made a decision that I would not let that happen again today so I did some reading and put a plan into action to keep myself occupied, and it worked. I would go into more detail but I've got to go cook dinner!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
(female)

Today I made some long-term goals that I can work on for the upcoming month

Spent 6 hours helping my Mom and her husband prepare their home to be
move-in-able

Trash night...all set!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

Today I made some long-term goals that I can work on for the upcoming month

Spent 6 hours helping my Mom and her husband prepare their home to be
move-in-able

Trash night...all set!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
(female)

I need to give myself credit for the last two days...

if I were to look around I would normally stress about
what's NOT done....

I can't expect too much or worry about it because
1. school vacation, not a normal schedule
2. unexpected things come up, flexibility needed

I did manage to:
1. get to the market
2. bleach the kitchen sink
3. kept up with sweeping and rugs
4. cooked healthy dinner and lunches
5. quality time with family and pets

Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
(female)

BacknForth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addventurous View Post
I had a victory today. Yesterday was an exceedingly long day at work. I was bored out of my mind and did nothing to remedy that so time just dragged on forever. Last night I made a decision that I would not let that happen again today so I did some reading and put a plan into action to keep myself occupied, and it worked. I would go into more detail but I've got to go cook dinner!
Way to go and high 5! I am in my early 40s and was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 years ago. A small victory is still a victory! I am MUCH more organized at work and at home since starting treatment (therapy and meds). I pay much closer attention to detail now...and I'm actually completing tasks I have set out to do. It makes me smile on the inside when people comment on the "new and improved" me. Go us!! Here's to a successful 2012 for us all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BacknForth For This Useful Post:
addventurous (01-01-2012), LessStress38 (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
(male)

Last night I took 30 minutes (at most) to dust and hang up in my office pictures that had been sitting on the floor for 5 years! Yes, FIVE YEARS! It's a miracle, and I'm not even on meds. Skills not pills!

Happy new year 2012 everyone!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
(female)

I really needed to post again because it seems no matter how I try I am having trouble feeling better about not doing enough.....
even though I KNOW I am doing just fine, if not BETTER than I was months ago...

This week I started back to school (Tues & Thurs)
at the community college
first time since 1998

Today I start a new job (Mon, Wed, Fri)

My personal life is wonderful. Kids are good.( of course a handful because they are always bugging each other. I have three. When two are in the same room, they are fine, but all three and it's a circus!)

I know this month will bring good things because I will be so busy that I will have to get things done.

Maybe I am fighting guilt because of all I didn't get done when I had so much time, but .....struggled?

Closed Thread