It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
The Wellbutrin train

I thought I would jump in here and start a new thread about ME! Seriously just yesterday I started taking Wellbutrin XL for my mildly inattentive / overfocused / limbic ADD. I haven't had much luck with the stimulant meds (e.g., Adderall, Ritain, Focalin, etc.) so I am hopeful this will help me. I'm taking 1-150 mg tablet in the morning for the first two weeks then increasing to 2-150 mg tablets after that. I know Wellbutrin takes some time to kick in. It's hard to wait after the fast-acting effects of stimulants, but I'm hopeful Wellbutrin will level out a lot of the moodiness I felt with the stimulants. That being said I've been feeling rather down and "ADD" last night and this morning. I'm somehow staying fairly productive though.

My next question: where are Thunor and addprogrammer? They've been strangely quiet lately unless they're just avoiding me.

Aaron

The following user gives a hug of support to addventurous:
LessStress38 (01-06-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Re: The Wellbutrin train

I've got 1 week under my belt on Wellbutrin, and the only thing I've noticed is I feel quite depressed. Isn't Wellbutrin an antidepressant? I could have sworn it is. Anyway, it's not helping anything to this point. That being said I know it takes weeks to feel the full effects. In addition I'm supposed to up my dosage from 150 mg to 300 mg one week from today so that could potentially make things better (or worse -- hopefully not). Nonetheless I've not felt this down and depressed in quite a long time.

I was feeling a little depressed before I started, and there's a LOT going on in my life right now so at least some if not most of my depressed state can be attributed to that. Feeling stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed.

The following user gives a hug of support to addventurous:
LessStress38 (01-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addventurous View Post
I've got 1 week under my belt on Wellbutrin, and the only thing I've noticed is I feel quite depressed. Isn't Wellbutrin an antidepressant? I could have sworn it is. Anyway, it's not helping anything to this point. That being said I know it takes weeks to feel the full effects. In addition I'm supposed to up my dosage from 150 mg to 300 mg one week from today so that could potentially make things better (or worse -- hopefully not). Nonetheless I've not felt this down and depressed in quite a long time.

I was feeling a little depressed before I started, and there's a LOT going on in my life right now so at least some if not most of my depressed state can be attributed to that. Feeling stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed.
Hey! Glad you posted...
I was reading recently that it does take a while for any result of that med for any purpose...esp ADD stuff

It's good to see you're mostly hopeful! Realizing that under the circumstances, things are what they are...

I often think of how well you have been (overall) this past month or so...
you have made real strides in you staying on top of your struggles!
It's encouraging for me to think of others coping as well
when I get frustrated.

Keep up the good work

The Following User Says Thank You to LessStress38 For This Useful Post:
addventurous (01-12-2012)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
(male)

Shermster HB User

Addventurous, My 18 yr old son took Concerta for 5 years before switching to Ritalin 4 months ago. His depression is more apparent than ever and we are now considering a switch...possibly Wellbutrin. it's been over a year since you started on Wellbutrin and I'm wondering how it has worked out for you.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Was your son always depressed? I ask because you noted that his depression is more noticable than it has been in the past.

If his depression has been long term and ongoing, have you considered that depression may be his primary issue? Depression can lead to focus problems that can be misdiagnosed as ADHD. It can also drastically exacerbate ADHD symptoms.

That said, as an ADHD sufferer, I found very significant symptom relief with Wellbutrin--in fact, I've often described the difference as magical. Wellbutrin is an atypical anti-depressant, as it acts on the uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine, rather than targetting seratonin. For this reason, I felt it would be appropriate for ADHD, as those two neurotransmitters are the same ones that are acted upon by stimulant medications (amphetamines and methylphenidate). It turned out in my case that I was right.

Note that Wellbutrin can be appropriate as a supplement to stimulant treatment in addition to being a treatment on its own. Because stimulants promote the release of dopamine and norepinephrine and Wellbutrin acts to suppress the reuptake of said neurotransmitters, the two can act together in a complimentary way that surpasses the singular effect of either one.

I did find, however, that the magical effect of Wellbutrin was short-lived. As an explanation, I have often found that new medications result in a 'honeymoon phase,' during which I receive increased function. This phase is often very short, however, usually a matter of weeks. Wellbutrin worked extremely well for me for about 10 months, then began to decline, resulting in what I feel to be 'normal' (read poor) function in about 2 years. This was a huge benefit to me, as I was able to complete my university degree during that time. That said, for me, the hunt is on for a new medication.

I would encourage you to follow through and give Wellbutrin a try. Be aware that it can take a significant amount of time to work (~1 month), but the potential positive effect is well worth it. I would also encourage you to explore treatment for the depression issue separately, as assuaging this (either through medication, therapy, or a combination of both methods) may well make a significant difference in your son's ADHD.

Best of luck

Closed Thread