It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

Fas HB User
life pretty messed up, is this ADD?

So yeah I am in college, and nothing is really going right. Repeating classes but still not doing good in them, can't really find the motivation to do anything and procrastinate all the time. I got by high school with avg grades by studying the night before for exams/tests but in college can't even do that as the workload is a lot more. Even when I sit down to study i can't focus as the thought of having still some time left before the due date/exam makes me not wanna do it. I am extremely disorganized and almost always late for classes. No one has ever told me to try to get diagnosed and they just say that I am extremely lazy.

I also suffer from a bit of Social anxiety which I also have never told anyone, and couple that up with having no motivation means I can't even get a job.

My younger brother (14) got diagnosed with ADD a few months back and that's what made me look into it but his teacher told my parents to get him tested for it...and no one ever said this for me so maybe I don't have ADD?

Sorry for the long post I don't really have anyone who I can open up to and need to know how can I get diagnosed for it. I was thinking about going to my college counselor but not sure if they can diagnose ADD...and don't really have a doctor I know in this city. Is the college counselor a good idea?

thanks

Last edited by Fas; 01-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Fas
kat chats (01-22-2012), LessStress38 (01-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: life pretty messed up, is this ADD?

It might be ADHD. It sounds an awful lot like it, anyway.

The college counselor sounds like a good place to start. He or she will probably wind up referring you to a doctor off-campus for testing and treatment, but that's easier than finding one yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Fas (01-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
(female)

kat chats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fas View Post
So yeah I am in college, and nothing is really going right. Repeating classes but still not doing good in them, can't really find the motivation to do anything and procrastinate all the time. I got by high school with avg grades by studying the night before for exams/tests but in college can't even do that as the workload is a lot more. Even when I sit down to study i can't focus as the thought of having still some time left before the due date/exam makes me not wanna do it. I am extremely disorganized and almost always late for classes. No one has ever told me to try to get diagnosed and they just say that I am extremely lazy.

I also suffer from a bit of Social anxiety which I also have never told anyone, and couple that up with having no motivation means I can't even get a job.

My younger brother (14) got diagnosed with ADD a few months back and that's what made me look into it but his teacher told my parents to get him tested for it...and no one ever said this for me so maybe I don't have ADD?

Sorry for the long post I don't really have anyone who I can open up to and need to know how can I get diagnosed for it. I was thinking about going to my college counselor but not sure if they can diagnose ADD...and don't really have a doctor I know in this city. Is the college counselor a good idea?

thanks
I have ADD, have had it my whole life, but was only diagnosed last year. There are 3 types of ADD: Inattentive (displays some of your symptoms), Hyperactive, and a Combination of both). I googled ADD last year when I was having anxiety attacks like crazy, felt like a remote control kept changing the channel in my head-constant racing, changing, thoughts. I read the symptoms, then took an online test. I scored through the roof! I went to a VERY REPUTABLE Psychiatrist, and was diagnosed and put on meds. It has made a world of difference! I also want to say, that as a child, I was also called lazy, procrastinated with everything, could never finish anything... When I went to College and Grad school, I was very motivated, really wanted to go, and I learned to use my ADD to my advantage. I got intensely focused, maintained a 4.0 throughout! (however, I tended to let everything else go- forgetting to pay bills, or take care of other responsibilities. I had to really work on that! If you suspect something is wrong, there likely is, but don't self diagnose. Get educated, read up on it, maybe take the online test, but seek out a QUALITY Psychiatrist (if you are considering meds) or a Psychoanalyst (for therapy) Your issues seem to be long term and ongoing, Psychoanalyst's deal with that, a Psychologist or therapist usually are for a current issue (like not getting over a loss or divorce type issue) Good luck! Feel better soon. and don't listen to others, listen to yourself and your doctor!

The Following User Says Thank You to kat chats For This Useful Post:
Fas (01-22-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
(male)

chronological HB Userchronological HB Userchronological HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fas View Post
You just told my story, albeit you're 30 years behind me. I was all A's in high school, and not only did I only study the night before, a lot of times I didn't even study at all. I still flew through everything.

Then, at college, my performance fell off a cliff, and almost overnight. Back then, I had a strong fixed mindset instead of a growth one (read up on Carol Dweck of Stanford) so I assumed I had just reached my stupid limit and was not as smart as I'd always thought I was.

Now I know what the problem was. College was presenting me, for the first time ever, with stuff I needed to work at. Problem was, I'd never learned to work (hadn't had to), and, as it turns out, I had an undiagnosed ADHD issue, so to some extent I was *unable* to work. Or at least, it was way difficult.

I muddled through and came out with a 2.5 GPA. Later, I got a PhD, but still struggling to focus.

I'm not really a backwards looking person, so I have no regrets. But it would have been a lot more fun if I'd got this ADHD thing figured out 30 years ago. You may not be suffering from it, but if any of the above sounds familiar, I'd definitely get checked out. Sure, talk to your college counselor as a first step.

The Following User Says Thank You to chronological For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (01-23-2012)
Closed Thread