HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   ADD / ADHD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/)
-   -   Question about stimulant effects (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/885413-question-about-stimulant-effects.html)

Trel 01-13-2012 02:06 PM

Question about stimulant effects

I was reading an old thread here which said the paradoxical effect of stimulants on people with ADHD was a myth.

However, I have a question about that, I had to come off all stimulants because when I was on them, I would become dulled, and tired, and many times fall asleep in class.

This happened before I knew what stimulants even were or that there was supposedly a paradoxical effect, so that completely rules out some sort of placebo effect. (About 15 years ago). What would have been the cause of that then?

janewhite1 01-13-2012 03:37 PM

Re: Question about stimulant effects

It's not exactly a PARADOXICAL effect. It increases activity in the "controller" parts of the brain. Yes, some of us get drowsy. A dose adjustment, a different medicine or practice might help.

Trel 01-13-2012 07:29 PM

It's happened with all stimulants I was on. It's one of the main reasons I haven't gone on any for over 15 years now.

janewhite1 01-13-2012 08:05 PM

Maybe you'd do better on a nonstimulant such as Strattera or Intuitiv.

Trel 01-13-2012 08:37 PM

I have no intention of going on any medication for this anymore. I was done then. I'm just asking about if the the supposed paradoxical effect is a myth why were stimulants putting me to sleep?

LessStress38 01-14-2012 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=Trel;4910497]I have no intention of going on any medication for this anymore. I was done then. I'm just asking about if the the supposed paradoxical effect is a myth why were stimulants putting me to sleep?[/QUOTE]

just curious...
if you drink coffee?
does it have a similar effect?
some people can drink it in the evening and still have no trouble sleeping

Trel 01-14-2012 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=LessStress38;4910677]just curious...
if you drink coffee?
does it have a similar effect?
some people can drink it in the evening and still have no trouble sleeping[/QUOTE]

I actually use it as a sleep aid when I have trouble sleeping, always did.

LessStress38 01-14-2012 12:02 PM

so in my opinion it would depend on the individual's response to a stimulant..

interesting!

10mg of Ritalin made me calm (but not tired)
10mg of Adderall made me tired, lazy (even after starting at 5mg)

Trel 01-14-2012 07:29 PM

I was on both of those in high school. Both of them laid me out flat at every dose they made. I couldn't stay awake in classes until I stopped taking them.