It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
(male)

beedee1957 HB User
Experimenting With Meds/Dosage

As my profile indicates, at 53, I've recently been diagnosed with bipolar 1 and severe ADHD. I've been prescribed several meds that did not work -- Saphris (which was the worst medical experience of my life), Geodon, Latuda. The goal was to slow me down and help me be calmer and not so hyper. The most significant purpose was to help my sleeping habits and the quality of my sleep. Geodon and Latuda made me feel "drugged" in the morning. Now my psych has me on Cymbalta. Lamictal seems to help with manic behavior but the wide and rapid moodswings still haunt me. I can feel really great and go to work only to experience a nose-dive into depression when I "sense" a problem with my co-workers. The ADHD only makes it worse. I'm taking Adderall 30 mg at least two times a day and sometimes three times. Most of the time it helps. It slows my thoughts down and actually has a calming effect. I'm always concerned about addiction. My doctors say not to worry, that I'm taking it for a reason and that I'm so far away from abusing it that I shouldn't be concerned. I've somehow compensated for being bipolar and ADHD all of my life--how I don't know. Maybe by being funny--the comic. Adjusting to the diagnosis at this stage of my life is difficult. I feel like I'm broken and can't be fixed.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: beedee1957
LessStress38 (01-17-2012), Milliegirl50 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User
Re: Experimenting With Meds/Dosage

The adderall works? Are you still having problems when you take adderall? Three times a day doesn't last long enough? You could try XR.
Is cymbalta and lamictal the same drug, or are you taking both of those?
You could try switching your medications again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
(male)

beedee1957 HB User

It's strange. Sometimes the Adderall works and works well, but not for very long--a couple of hours at the most. I took one this morning around 6:45 and another when I felt that it completely worn off, which was around 11:00 am. The second dose seemed to have very little effect, if any other than feeling a little anxious. Lactimal is a mood stabilizer and Cymbalta is sort of an "all purpose" anti-depressant in that it treats more than depression. I thought that the Lactimal was working. It is mainly for bipolar disorder but my mood swings are just as severe as before I started on it. I'm also working with a psychologist to deal with the problem. I'm just trying to find the right meds and dosage that allows me to focus better and calm so that I can work through the issues. I don't want to spend the rest of my life treating the symptoms with pills.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

How long have you been on the Cymbalta? Are you 10mg a day?
I tried it last year for a short time.
It was suppose to help me with chronic pain.
I felt the anti depressant quicker but I had side effects that made it a no go.
How's it working so far?
A close friend of mine has struggled with bipolar and she has ADD traits.
I say struggled because now she's on a low dose of Imipramine at bedtime.
I guess it's a mood stabilizer....
I knew of someone else also who was helped with that med..

In my opinion...no matter how old you are...it's great that someone seeks answers to the whys and hows of life and looks for a better way to cope...it's a humble and admirable thing to do...
I have family members that are tough cookies and they are getting more crumby...

I have read about older people in their 70's learning they had ADD and starting a stimulant just so they could finish reading a whole newspaper!

The Following User Says Thank You to LessStress38 For This Useful Post:
beedee1957 (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
(male)

beedee1957 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessStress38 View Post
How long have you been on the Cymbalta? Are you 10mg a day?
I tried it last year for a short time.
It was suppose to help me with chronic pain.
I felt the anti depressant quicker but I had side effects that made it a no go.
How's it working so far?
A close friend of mine has struggled with bipolar and she has ADD traits.
I say struggled because now she's on a low dose of Imipramine at bedtime.
I guess it's a mood stabilizer....
I knew of someone else also who was helped with that med..

In my opinion...no matter how old you are...it's great that someone seeks answers to the whys and hows of life and looks for a better way to cope...it's a humble and admirable thing to do...
I have family members that are tough cookies and they are getting more crumby...

I have read about older people in their 70's learning they had ADD and starting a stimulant just so they could finish reading a whole newspaper!
Thank you for your comments. I'm on 60 mg a day. I'm still waiting for side effects. I should find out soon if there are any. I was on 30 mg for a week. Effexor did the same for me that Cymbalta did for you maybe. I am finding it easier to catch myself as I begin thinking the typical thoughts that start my downward spirals. I think that is one of the main ideas behind the need for meds--to hold you up so you can learn to walk again. I'll keep posting as I find out more about the side effects.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

The Cymbalta seemed to give me some energy...
I had a bit of trouble sleeping though.
I got up to 30mgs then had to taper down and off...

Interesting how different genders handle meds as well...

Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

Hi-

I have adult diagnosed ADHD and Bipolar type 1. My life has been one med change after another. I finally got a doctor that told me, "if you have Bipolar 1-there is really no reason a person should be on anything but Lithium". He told me I should never take an anti-depressant, unless i was under nursing supervision as it could launch me into a massive manic episode. I am not criticizing you or your doc-but I think we move down a slippery and dangerous slope when bipolars take anti-depressants.

Right now I am on 3 meds(psych)-when I was first diagnosed I took handfuls of pills-one pill correcting the side effect of the other. I only take Adderall IR on my work days/conference-test days. I take the LEAST effective dose for me-15 mg in the AM and 5 mg at noon. I notice a huge difference when I don't take it. Be cautious in what people say on the internet about dosages-the one that works for me probably won't work for you. I read something someone posted about being on 180 mg of Adderall a day. I highly doubt that is true or prescribed by a legit doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Toby706 For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
(female)

jamieg09 HB User

Hi there, I was also just recently diagnosed with severe ADHD and Bipolar disorder. I am on 30 MG XR of Adderall twice a day, fixing to move up to 3 times a day, and 400 MG of Tegretol. I am 27 year of age. I have always had problems with focus, being extremely hyper, depression, and anger. The mood swings you talk about are also something I struggle with. I never knew how bad they were until I was on my medicine for about a month or so. I am not saying that in a month that I am healed, but I do notice a significant difference. I am not so quick to go from being in a good mood to wanting to flip out over the smallest things. The Adderall is also helping me. My grades are improving and I am noticing I am actually picking things up during lecture and they are making sense. A big pattern I showed when I got into college was I would either see the first failing grade, get ******, and quit going to class, or I would just not want to wake up in the mornings and again, I would quit going. I have also always been the "funny one" and I do believe it is a way that we have compensated. The more we joke around the more we can push everything down. I am still working on my balance with my medicines but I feel like I am getting there. It is hard because the Tegretol tends to make me sleepy, and sometimes I feel like the Adderall and Tegretol just battle it out but I have gotten myself into a healthy routine of sleeping more at night, getting up at around 4:30 every morning, going into work early, and also putting in extra time in classes. The Adderall does help with the getting out of bed every morning. I have just increased my Tegretol another 100 mg but I am trying to find the balance with the Adderall. I am on XR though it feels like it is only in my system a few hours. I have been working on trying to find a dose that works and that is also healthy. I do not want to abuse these medicines in any way shape or form but everyone handles medicine differently. What works for one person doesn't work for another. Just be patient, this is a long road which is what I have to continue to tell myself. All I know is I like where I am now versus where I was about 3 months ago.

Closed Thread