It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Checking back in

I've been inactive here for a week or two so I wanted to check back in and say hello. There has been much going on from starting a new med (Wellbutrin) to taking a CNS test for ADD to maybe getting ready to move to another state. At times it has all been a little overwhelming.

I passed the CNS test. Not only did I pass it, I passed it with flying colors "above average". It's supposed to detect ADD so according to my results I don't have ADD. If I don't have ADD then what do I have? What *is* going on with me? I'm not one who believes that everybody fits perfectly into little categorized boxes, but at the same time I would like to have some idea and direction. I also don't think tests are 100% accurate.

Here's some of how I experience life and how my brain works. Do any of you who have been diagnosed with ADD relate to any of it?
  • The only time I have any peace from the onslaught of thoughts in my brain is when my mind is occupied or busy doing something. Otherwise I seem to get stuck in thought or at least I can't get completely free of them (there always in the background).
  • There's no way for me to think myself into getting motivated to do anything. The only way for me is to stop myself from thinking and just do it. That's not such an easy thing for me to do sometimes.
  • While I'm busy doing whatever it is I've decided to do I usually feel good (if I find it productive or interesting), but once it's over I have to find something else productive or useful to do or I start feeling unmotivated, down, and/or restless again.

There's more I could add, but that's the gist of it for me. Does anyone with ADD relate?

Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to addventurous:
LessStress38 (01-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
(male)

chronological HB Userchronological HB Userchronological HB User
Re: Checking back in

Quote:
Originally Posted by addventurous View Post
  • The only time I have any peace from the onslaught of thoughts in my brain is when my mind is occupied or busy doing something. Otherwise I seem to get stuck in thought or at least I can't get completely free of them (there always in the background).
  • There's no way for me to think myself into getting motivated to do anything. The only way for me is to stop myself from thinking and just do it. That's not such an easy thing for me to do sometimes.
  • While I'm busy doing whatever it is I've decided to do I usually feel good (if I find it productive or interesting), but once it's over I have to find something else productive or useful to do or I start feeling unmotivated, down, and/or restless again.

There's more I could add, but that's the gist of it for me. Does anyone with ADD relate?
Absolutely. 100%. And for what it's worth, I don't think the second point is sustainable. Or at least, for my part it's something I want to fix. I don't think we can be intrinsically motivated all the time on every task, but I'd like to hope that "just do it" isn't the defining characteristic of how I have to work.

On the first point, have you tried any kind of meditation? Specifically, you may want to look at what Buddhists and others refer to as samatha meditation (as opposed to vipassana which is different). Samatha is intended to handle *exactly* the kind of "onslaught" you describe.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

It's always difficult to say as to whether one has one disorder or another. In my experience, psychological diagnoses are generally extremely subjective (psychiatric diagnoses are more scientific, but far more difficult to some by), and one is often at the mercy of the preferences of whatever individual is diagnosing them. There's far less science involved in psychology than the profession would like us to believe.

It is my sincere belief that as more is learned about the brain and how it works, we will find that there are a number of different disorders that fall under the umbrella of what we today call "ADHD" (look at the name: "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder," this is named in relation to the effects, not the cause; it's akin to calling pain in your arm "general appendage pain disorder," while there are several different reasons your arm might hurt).

There are a number of issues that lead to ADHD-like issues, including but not limited to: Depression (Dysthymic Disorder), PTSD, BPD, Brain damage, GAD, OCD, etc.

The point we're at with ADHD is more about treating symptoms than causes, per se . . . sort of like taking Acetaminophen for the flu. As such, if you're finding that you're getting sufficiently positive effects from medication, it's not as important as many may think to get specific diagnosis.

All this is not to say that you shouldn't try to refine your diagnosis, just go into it with the understanding that three different mental health professionals will potentially give you three different diagnoses for the same symptoms. Absolutely consider looking to meditation or other sources to learn mental discipline, organizational skills, motivational skills, etc. Skills have the potential to increase your ability to function both with and without medication, though understand that medication may help with the ability to learn these skills.

There, I probably confused you more than ever. I do hope you find some value here, and hopefully you find a strong footing in your quest to explore your issues. Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (02-09-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Just checking in...
Sure you are busy...
just wondering how the wellbutrin was working for your symptoms?

Closed Thread