It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
(male)

ceponatia HB User
Psychiatrist Advice

Hi everyone,

I am 30 and have been diagnosed with ADD a long time ago but when I was 15 my mother made me stop taking the medication. I have suffered with this ever since but sort of forgot that I might have ADD. Two weeks ago I finally had enough and went to a therapist and he said I most likely have it and wants me to go see a psychiatrist next Wednesday. I am wondering what sort of questions / concerns I should bring up in case I have more than just ADD. I'm just very frustrated with always being indecisive and quitting things before I even start and also forgetting to do extremely important things on a daily basis.

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Psychiatrist Advice

It sounds like talking to a psychiatrist is a good idea.

Make a list of your 3-5 biggest concerns, work or otherwise. Discuss possible medications, also ask about skills training and other non-drug treatments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Write up the list and take it with you, so you're not caught trying to remember what you'd wanted to discuss at the time. Many times I've been caught flat-footed in the psychiatrist's office by questions about specific issues, even though I was clear on what I wanted to say beforehand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thunor For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (02-09-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

I had to go to my psychiatrist-I went already for my Bipolar. He sent me to a psychologist for a couple hours of testing. In like 3 weeks I got the results-went back to my psych doc and was given Adderall after my insurance rejected Concerta. I don't recall anything beyond my psychiatrist asking a battery of questions about my focusing, comprehension, and irritability at work-then he set up the appt for testing and here I am now.

Closed Thread