It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

QZSue HB User
ADHD can not take a stimulant

Have any of you ever had the situation where the child, now 13, can not tolerate a stimulant. With my son, it brings out more aggressiveness, anger, his tics become worse (he does not have Tourette's) and impulsivity is often. Since he was 5 1/2 we have tried all of the stimulants as well as Strattera. We just met with some more professionals and they are thinking he needs to learn coping skills, social skills. School is a horror! If you have the same issues I would love to know what the "golden key" is. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

PattieS HB User
Re: ADHD can not take a stimulant

Our son is 61/2 and the school has said medicate him and all will be well? We did some further investigations and came across a Dr who is just wonderful, he had alot of blood tests, genes test, poo test, brain scanning and tova. Results childhood depression and no good Ecoli in his bowel system. He is now on a cocktail of nutrients and we shall see how that goes. Before you medicate as you all know please get your son or daughter throughly assessed just don't tick off boxes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User
Re: ADHD can not take a stimulant

Talk to your doctor about whether Intunive (Guanfacine) is appropriate. This is a new medication that has been shown to be promising in relation to ADHD, and there are some on this board that report very positive effects. It is not a stimulant (it's actually closer to a depressant in its effects), and thus may be appropriate in this case.

Counselling and training in social skills independently or in conjunction with medication is probably a good idea as well, don't let me give you the impression that medication is a panacea.

Last edited by Thunor; 02-09-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Addition

Closed Thread