It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Post Bed wetting and ADD/ADHD

I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that when I had my son's Concerta increased from 36mg to 54 mg, he stopped wetting the bed. He'll be 15 in November and has wet the bed up til a couple of weeks ago when his meds were increased. Has anyone else noticed this in their children?
Barb

Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
It may be due to an increased self-confidence from the medication leveling him out. Either way its a good thing! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/grad.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Careful!! Stimulants can cause urinary retention...this is not good!! It can lead to bladder damage or kidney failure.

It could just be he has outgrown, as all kids do, his bedwetting. But if it stopped suddenly after the increase in Concerta, it may be the urinary retention and this could lead to real trouble.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Thanks for the replies. My son was getting better. The bedwetting has been slowing down for quite a while so maybe it was just time. He doesn't have a problem with retention as he does sometimes get up to pee. We go for the meeting at school tomorrow. wish us luck!
Barb

Old 09-10-2003, 07:51 AM   #5
Inactive

maak823 HB User
Question

I have a 9 yr old son who is ADD only and is on 20mg of Metadate daily. He has always been a bedwetter- seems to be getting better for a while then we go back to square one again. We have tried everything- any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Old 09-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My son's doc tried to prescribe a medication that would make my son retain water at night so he wouldn't pee. I told her no thanks. They all grow out of it. I mean, how many adults have you seen that still wet the bed? She said none. I said exactly! So why should I medicate my son even more and risk him getting infections just to keep the bed sheets dry? He already takes the Concerta for ADD and albuterol and advair for asthma. My stance on the bed wetting is patience. It won't be a problem forever.
Barb

Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
Inactive

maak823 HB User
Thanks Barb-
I have the same opinion on the medication thing- I don't think that is safe and actually my pediatrician said that he would only advise using it if my son were spending the night with a friend or something like that- its not for everyday use- it actually shuts down thier kidneys- that can't be good. I am just hoping that eventually he grows out of it.

Take Care!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Yes, that medicine sounded very unhealthy. You are right, he will outgrow it; my son did.

Just make sure he is not having urinary retention, which can also be simply not peeing a stream(dribbling or short, small pees or a difficulty getting the pee to come out at first). When he pees, it should be normal urination.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:07 PM   #9
Inactive

maak823 HB User
Thanks for the advice, he doesn't have a problem with retention - he goes and a full stream! I personally think it is because he sleeps so sound, he just does not wake up.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #10

Bren30 HB User
Smile

This is very intresting topic..I find alot of Children dealing with ADD/ADHD have a bed wetting problem.My son also having this problem ( now 14) is slowly growing out of this.( age 7) We had him tested while sleeping on a alarm blanket that sounded when wet.The sleep patterns that he went through told us alot.A very deep sleep ..and when he went to roll over or move in any way he would come out of this deep sleep and thats when we had the accident.It took him an average of 10 -12 min longer than normal children to get to this level. I really think ADD has a link to the bed wetting.. Has anyone found a study on this?
I just wanted to share with you what we found out when my Son was younger...We did take the medication for a few months and did not have good results.. so we stopped.

Bren

Old 09-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
The bed-wetting issue can be emotional, but also can be a simple medical cause. I am sure psychiatry would like to say there is a link between ADD and bedwetting, but they would be just talking out of their hats. Any link is easily coincidence. Lots of boys wet the bed, ADD or not.

Well, I thought it might be helpful to post something about bedwetting from real doctors(and I don't see ADD on the list):

There are two types of bed-wetting (nocturnal enuresis): primary and secondary. Primary enuresis is that which occurs in a child who hasn't been dry at night for more than a week. Causes include:
- Immature bladder development
- Small bladder capacity
- Immature development of triggers during phases of sleep
- Psychological problems--may be seen after birth of new sibling
- Neurological problems
- Diabetes

Secondary enuresis is that which occurs in a child who has been dry at
night for a prolonged time but subsequently loses bladder control.
Causes include:
- Developmental delays
- Psychological problems--may be seen after birth of new sibling
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Diabetes

Old 09-11-2003, 08:10 AM   #12

Bren30 HB User
Well I was just expressing a therory I had... I never claimed to be a Doctor.

I just had delt with this for some time and my Son has seen several doctors . We found everything on the physcial side to be fine with his body..every test normal.
They found it to be linked more to his sleep .

Just trying to help someone with our experience.

I'm still open to any advice..I learn something new everyday about ADD...Just wondered what If Any link the may have in common.

Bren

Old 09-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Although no one knows exactly what causes ADD, it is thought to be possibly a neurological problem. So maybe there IS a connection? Anyway, many thanks to everyone for sharing.
Barb

Old 09-11-2003, 12:45 PM   #14

WildAngel HB User
About bedwetting:

Bedwetting is normal, many kids do it, more boys do than girls.

ADD children mature slower than the average child therefore they may wet the bed until age 9 or 10 before growing out of it.

There are sleep disorders that include night time bedwetting. Studies show that these sleep disorders are commonly misdiagnosed as ADD. Something about the type, quality, and quanity of sleep these children get causes symptoms of ADD. It is important to know that many times it is NOT ADD!! If a child wets the bed after age 10 and has been diagnosed as ADD it is probably a misdiagnosis. This is one of the top disorders misdiagnosed as ADD.

A medication helpful and relatively safe for bedwetting is tofranil.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:16 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wild Angel, Funny you should mention that. I was telling my husband just this morning that we should ask our son's doctor to order a sleep study for him. He's been sleeping with my husband the last few days due to my lack of sleep. My husband said my son is moving around too much during sleep.
I just recently had a sleep study that confirmed I have sleep apnea, an upper airway resistance syndrome and periodic and repetitive movements of the limbs causing me to come out of the restful sleep.
So it very well may be that my son has a sleep disorder (his dad has sleep apnea too). THanks so much for commenting. I'm going to show this to my husband as soon as he gets home from work and I'll call the doctor in the morning.
Barb

Closed Thread