HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   ADD / ADHD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/)
-   -   Do I have ADHD? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/add-adhd/891017-do-i-have-adhd.html)

atengnr 02-26-2012 04:06 PM

Do I have ADHD?

Hello all, new to this forum...

I have had a lifetime of difficulty with distractibility, as far back as I can remember in grade school, and poor attention (I almost never see movies because the thought of sitting still and watching is somewhat repulsive). Additionally, I have messed with clonidine a bit recently because I have high blood pressure, and I have found that it DRAMATICALLY improves my ability to focus on something (IE reading for school). I went to a coffee shop today, and really did not hear the conversations all around me as I normally do (usually agitates me), and just went along reading.

I dont like clonidine because of the sedation, but this all has me wondering if I have been struggling with distractibility all my life somewhat needlessly....

Does this sound like ADHD? Should I pursue this with a health professional? If so, who??

Thanks alot!!

janewhite1 02-26-2012 08:43 PM

Re: Do I have ADHD?

Definitely could be ADHD. Your best bet is a psychiatrist who treats it a lot.

donnalj 05-08-2012 07:45 PM

I was diagnosed with hyperactivity when I was 5 due to the teachers and my parents being concerned and my out of control behavior at a very young age. At that time they did not give drugs like they do now so I just drove everyone crazy lol. As an adult with ADHD it sounds like it could be but as the last person stated I would ask a professional if it a serious concern that is affecting your day to day life.
For example for myself:
I miss out on alot of information listening to others in conversations as my mind goes elsewhere minutes into listening to someone speak.
Also I have a hard time completing tasks throughout the day cause I get distracted by something I see and completely forgot about what I was supposed to do in the first place and this happens ALL day long.
Good luck!

blondae1 05-25-2012 05:30 PM

Hi atengnr & welcome.
I am 43 and have been struggling w/adhd all my life. When untreated (I.e no meds) I too feel the torture of watching movies, reading, ect. I can never finish anything, but seem to start a million things. That's when I feel overwhelmed, crash and burn then fall into a deep depression. I have no feeling of contentness. That's when I feel like "the walking dead". If this sounds familiar to your life the good news isthe right medication can be a life changer. I would definitely see a professional to seek some help. Good luck, blondae1

blondae1 05-25-2012 05:33 PM

Hi atengnr & welcome.
I am 43 and have been struggling w/adhd all my life. When untreated (I.e no meds) I too feel the torture of watching movies, reading, ect. I can never finish anything, but seem to start a million things. That's when I feel overwhelmed, crash and burn then fall into a deep depression. I have no feeling of contentness. That's when I feel like "the walking dead". If this sounds familiar to your life the good news isthe right medication can be a life changer. I would definitely see a professional to seek some help. Good luck, blondae1

ArcticWolf 06-04-2012 05:57 PM

Ohai there! :wave:

I agree with the previous posts. It sounds like it could possibly be ADHD, but you'd need to be tested to be sure. I've had ADHD since I was 10, so I know what it is like to be distracted consistently. But finding various activities and resources can help you stay focused and keep everything in check. Also, I've never been on meds or seen a psychiatrist, but I can totally see how they would be beneficial.

In any case, seek counsel where you need it, and do what your comfortable doing. Try not to worry too much, ADHD is a very liveable disease no matter where you are in life. Just be sure to take advantage of the resources and support available to you.

Best of Luck!
~ AW