It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
(male)

Sabeche HB User
Getting ADD? Updated!

Is it possible to get ADD when you didn't have it? Recently, mainly this past school year, I've found myself not being able to focus at school. I'm always distracted, whether it's doodling in class, or just sleeping. I can't seem to focus. I was always a straight A student, but now I'm starting to get some B's and I'm freaking out. And at home while attempting to study, I find myself always getting distracted. I try my best to remove all distractions, but I always get distracted nonetheless. I just want to know if it's possible i developed ADD?

I'm 16 and in grade 10.

EDIT:
Some extra info is that I was a Straight A student, and now i'm at low B's across the board. My mom called the doctor's office, and they said it's unlikely I have it. My mom explained to them the symptoms I'm having, but I only got to tell her about half of what I'm experiencing before she shut me down and ranted me out about how I just have bad habits. I'm not sure what to do. Should I go in anyways for tests? Or should I wait a bit and see?

I'm reluctant to wait because I still cannot pay attention in class at all. And am still having major homework issues.

Last edited by Sabeche; 03-08-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: updating information pertaining to thread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
(male)

Sabeche HB User
Re: Getting ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMappsy View Post
Sausages!!!
That doesn't help at all. I'm really worried due to my grades and would like some help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

ADD appears either at birth or in early childhood, it doesn't suddenly develop in someone who never had it before. It may be that you've always had attention problems, but now you are overwhelmed with more work.

Or, it could be that that there's something else going on. Maybe you aren't sleeping enough, or you're stressed or depressed.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
(male)

Sabeche HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
ADD appears either at birth or in early childhood, it doesn't suddenly develop in someone who never had it before. It may be that you've always had attention problems, but now you are overwhelmed with more work.

Or, it could be that that there's something else going on. Maybe you aren't sleeping enough, or you're stressed or depressed.
That's what I thought, but my one friend (same age) just got diagnosed for ADD. This was about a month after I started noticing that I couldn't focus. And I was always that kid who never studied and just paid attention in class to get straight A's. So maybe now that I'm having to study in Highschool I'm starting to notice it. Anyways, there's no extra stress in my life, and I've always been getting the same amount of sleep. SO I doubt it's that.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Sabeche,

You really need to see a medical doctor. None of us can possibly diagnose the cause of your symptoms. Jane mentioned just a few of the possible causes. Sometimes a number of factors come together and compositely become the cause.

Your symptoms are very real and sound serious enough for you to seek medical attention. Don't let it ruin your life.

Talk to parents. Get a doctor's appointment. Get the thing managed.

Interestingly I was at your age and in your grade when my ADHD became apparent. I had enough brains to fake my way up until 10th grade. I could no longer get good grades by process of osmosis taking college prep courses.

I so wish ADHD was recognized when I was in school.

Get it done, man.

Bob

Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
(male)

Sabeche HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
Sabeche,

You really need to see a medical doctor. None of us can possibly diagnose the cause of your symptoms. Jane mentioned just a few of the possible causes. Sometimes a number of factors come together and compositely become the cause.

Your symptoms are very real and sound serious enough for you to seek medical attention. Don't let it ruin your life.

Talk to parents. Get a doctor's appointment. Get the thing managed.

Interestingly I was at your age and in your grade when my ADHD became apparent. I had enough brains to fake my way up until 10th grade. I could no longer get good grades by process of osmosis taking college prep courses.

I so wish ADHD was recognized when I was in school.

Get it done, man.

Bob
Thanks for the help. I brought up my concerns with my parents and it's clear they have no idea what ADHD is. They say I can't have it cause I'm not bouncing off the walls. They obviously don't know there are different types of Adhd. Im going to get an appointment this weekend I think.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Sabeche,

The newest ADHD guidelines have raised the age when ADHD symptoms become apparent. It was 9 yo. Dumber than dumb. It is now 18 yo. Much better. So many of us squeaked through lower grades. Our symptoms aren't notice until HS. Then we don't qualify for the ADHD diagnoses as we do not fit into their excessively small diagnostic bucket. The bucket got bigger. Fewer ADHD sufferers will go undiagnosed. 18 is so much better.

You are in dude. That is not to say that ADHD is positively what ails you. But it does add weight to the probability that ADHD is the cause of your symptoms. Still need the doc.

Bob

Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
(male)

Sabeche HB User

Updated with new information. I appreciate all responses.

Closed Thread