It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
(male)

BR55 HB User
Can I mix xanax with Aderall to combat anxiety better?

I am currently taking generic Aderall for ADHD (20MG 1.5x Daily) and generic prozac for anxiety issues (20MG 2x Daily).

To clarify, I have been diagnosed with severe ADHD and never treated my issues until last year with medications. I just toughed it out and found ways to cope. Mainly adrenaline, alcohol, marijuana and other drugs, when I was younger.
Now after one year on both meds described above, I feel better, buy I still do not have control of my anxiety issues. I have tried many anti anxiety meds similar to Prozac, which led to no sex drive what so ever (which is no good for me or my wife). I finally gave into Prozac because it seemed like the only one that worked okay, with less sex issues.

Im wondering if a med like xanax would help combat my anxiety and lack of sex drive caused by Prozac use, while still taking Aderall for ADHD.

Admittedly, I do still use marijuana in very small amounts occasionally to increase my sex drive (not quite sure how that works exactly, but it does for me).

Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Can I mix xanax with Aderall to combat anxiety better?

Xanax should help your anxiety. Ask your doctor about it.

I totally emphasize with your sexual dysfunction problem. I agree that marriage is not all about sex. I'd say sex is no more than 90% of it.

You'd think Adderall would offset the SRI side-effect. But from experience, I know it doesn't. Getting off the SRI was my one and only solution. If Xanax can control your anxiety you may be able to get off Prozac.

No sex is no fun and no good for any marriage.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
(male)

BR55 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Can I mix xanax with Aderall to combat anxiety better?

Thanks AddProgrammer.
I will talk with my doc about usage. Im glad some other out there have had good results with anxiety and sex dysfunction.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

BR,

You and I share common traits. So what worked for me, probably will work for you.

I quit SRI meds after about 2 years of use. Neither my wife or myself could take it any longer. I was surprised that I didn't go back into depths of depression hell. And we were able to get it on again. You can't know how good something is until after losing it for awhile. I became an old buzzard with the hormonal rages of teenager. .

I went on the SRI because I could not manage the depression without it. What changed. The medications we use despite popular opinion do far more than control symptoms. Given time they help us FIX the underlying problem.

Stay the course. Under your doctors supervision try going it without med every so often. Don't get discouraged. What we all want we can't get - a quick fix.

Bob

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

CEB1984 HB User

BR55 -

I'm not a medical professional, but I wanted to chime in here...

I take 10mg/Addy daily...I read up on how important it is to not get vitamin depleted when on this medication (slows tolerance), so hit the local Target generic health section.

One item I bought was a "B Vitamin Stress Mix". Within an hour or so of taking
one, the effect was similar (better even, no withdrawls) to a .25 Xanax.
I also started drinking an ESA whey protein shake w/ soy milk for breakfast,
fish oil, multi vitamin gummy chew, calcium chews w/ extra D, and magnesium.

I know SSRI's killed my sex drive as well when I was on them...it sucks & I feel your pain.

I hope you find a solution Good luck!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CEB1984,

Good thing you are not a medical professional, you'd be unable to give such good advice.

BR,

I'd congratulate you on using a "little" weed for medicinal purposes if you were not ADHD. There are many, many people suffering from the effects of chemo that use pot to relieve their symptoms. Nothing works better. I am certainly not going to condemn anyone just because it is illegal. The regulators are the criminals. The only side-effect likely to hurt is getting busted.

Nevertheless, there is a very dark side to using powerful medications without knowing how. For example, the effects of long term heavy weed use is a mental state that in every way identical to ADD. The only diff is the cause. Using just a "little" of a substance that targets our weak area is just as damaging as "lots." For example, a "little" booze is as damaging to someone with advanced liver disease as a "lot" to those with healthy livers.

Take CEBS advice and run with it. Diet and exercise are as effective as the most effective ADHD medications. Diet and exercise will enable lower doses to work effectively and in some cases make the meds unnecessary. I advocate medication when needed. I also acknowledge that medications are poisons.

Look at the ingredients on any food product. Have you ever seen "amphetamine?" It is better to just say no if we can say no.

Bob

Closed Thread