It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2001, 06:50 PM   #1
Inactive

Momof4kids HB User
Post Concerta

I have written before when I first found this site, I have my 5 year old daughter on all natural foods as this has improved her behavior, she still cannot stay still in school and stay focused I have tried several over the counter focus and attention products. I have just been told about a product called Concerta does anyone have any information on this med? I would like to hear from anyone who is taking Conerta I would like to know the know the known side affects.

Old 09-22-2001, 11:07 PM   #2

notsowelladjusted HB User
Concerta is 36mg (or whatever the dose) of riddlin sustaind release over a 12hr period of time. thats all i know, heck I've been on it for only a month now.
i can see where it might be helpful for a child going to school, one pill in the morn, no more embaresing trips to the nurses office... everyday. and i've noticed less side effects, since it doesn't hit you all at once.
but, it's just like anything else you've prob tried... you have to try it to know if it works for you, or your son for that matter. not much info, but hope it helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2001, 09:27 AM   #3

MaggieB HB User
My eight year old son has been on Concerta for about 1 1/2 years and we love it. He takes one pill a day and it lasts the whole day. Without the pill, he is out of control. With the pill, he's not perfect but he can focus much more and is not nearly as impulsive. The only significant side effect is insomnia. He has trouble falling asleep at night. We make sure that he doesn't take the pill too late in the morning on weekends and sometimes we give him Benadryl to help sleep. I highly recommend trying it. Sometimes, it isn't the best choice but it sure has worked for us. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2001, 08:20 AM   #4

Ditka HB User
I guess this reply is to the person who started this message and maggie b. I am 30 I have been taking concerta for about a year now. I have figured out that, when I first started taking concerta I wasn't taking enough and I couldn't sleep. I now take 108 mgs. a day and I have no problem sleeping at night. I take it in the morning at like 6 am. I noticed when I was on 54 mgs. that I would get a headache when It was wearing off. I don't seem to get that same effect even though I am taking twice the dossage, And I sleep much better. I think it's because it's still in my system somewhat, but it's not strong enough to keep me awake, just strong enough for my brain not to be going a million miles an hour thinking about everything but going to sleep. I love concerta, it has completely changed my life. I know that is a strong statement, but it might be the most important thing that has ever happened to me. That's how much of a difference it has made to my once before crazy fast tired confused sad angry dreamy lazy busy frustrated out of controll life.

thanks,
rick

Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
Inactive

brendapk32 HB User
Hey everyone, my son who is 11 just started taking Concerta 18 mg a day, and OH MY has it helped. The teachers had been hounding me for 3 years to put him on medicine but I kept insisitng it was not a problem. David constantly had homework, was fidegty, coulnt sit still ANYWHERE, and it was making the teachers and our home life terrible. He has been on it for 5 days and I am amazed at how well he has been. I ask him Dave, ya got homework and he says mom I finished during class>>>>>>>>&gt ;WHICH HAS NEVER EVER happened before Concerta. I dont give it to him on the weekends, and I can tell a difference, im thinking about asking the Doc if he can be on it everyday, Well.....Concerta is aweseome!!
PRAISE THE LORD
Brenda † http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 08-27-2003, 06:16 AM   #6

cymomtx HB User
I noticed that one we adjusted my daughter from 18mg to 27 mg, going to sleep is much easier.

Old 08-28-2003, 03:04 AM   #7

kellbrntt61 HB User
The dosage will depend on your child's system. However, I will say Concerta has been FANTASTIC for my son. He only takes it for school. On the weekends he has a drug free holiday. This helps to keep him from getting used to the dosage. It will not have to be adjusted as often. I know this from experience. Also, if you can deal with any hyperactivity, please do so without medication. The medication is meant to help the patient focus and pay closer attention to tasks. It is not meant to just alleviate hyperactivity. I have always made it clear to the doc that I only have one ADD child to deal with at home. I am not outnumbered. At school, my child is not the only one in need of the teachers attention and it REALLY does help him focus and stay on task. You may want to suggest to the teachers that they compliment your child on the attention they are paying to their work and how well they seem to be doing. They need to be encouraged to keep up the good work. This will help with a low self-esteem. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
(female)

sweetnsour HB User
Unhappy

Hi I am 29 years old and just started taking Concerta 36mg. I am so tired, crabby, and can't fall asleep at night. Not sure what to do. I read Ditkas message saying his dose was to low that is why he was tired. Could that be my problem? Any help would be so great. Thanks

Old 08-28-2003, 12:02 PM   #9

neelie6 HB User
Question

My 13-year-old son has been on Concerta 54mg for one week now. Last night, he had difficulty falling asleep. Prior to this, he had been on 18mg, then 36mg, with no side effects or noticable improvement in focus. We're still not sure if the 54mg is helping with the ADHD (inattentive).

My question is this: if side effects (such as sleep problems) are going to occur, do they usually happen right away, or do they take awhile to show up and then gradually go away as tolerance is built up?

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2003, 02:00 PM   #10

mandawalker18 HB User
Smile

I just recently started taking Concerta and I found this website with side effects.
[url="http://www.ADDHelpsite.com"]www.ADDHelpsite.com[/url]

they have some interesting things on there. check it out. good luck !

Old 09-23-2003, 07:15 PM   #11
(female)

jboon HB User
My son was on 54 mg of Concerta for a year and a half. It worked wonderfully but he had no appetite (didn't gain any weight for eight months--from the time he was almost 10 until he was 10 1/2) and rarely fell asleep before midnight. He absolutely hated those side effects, but it did wonders for his ADHD. We did switch to Strattera and he takes Ritalin with it. It works okay (not as well as Concerta) but he's gained about 7 pounds in the past 5 months and he goes to sleep nightly by 10:00 (he's now 11 years old).

Old 09-24-2003, 07:03 AM   #12

Brenda'sboyzs HB User
We have a 12 yr. old son that was put on Concerta 2 weeks ago. I have fought with this for the last 3 yrs. as to medicate or not. My sister-in-law had put my niece on Concerta and said it was wonderful.I finally gave in and did it also. I just wanted him to do his personal best in school. He cannot stay on task in class and is very unorganized!!Right now he is on 18 mg. I have noticed he is kinda losing his appetite,thou he did eat supper last night, and always eats breakfast, still not sure if he has the right dose thou? He still cannot remember to bring his schoolwork home at night. ( I'm always going back to get it )Should I talk to the Dr. about more mg.? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-24-2003, 07:50 PM   #13
(female)

jboon HB User
Brenda,
36 mg is what my son started on when he first took Concerta a couple months before he turned 9. After several months we upped it to 54 mg, where it stayed for a year and a half. Had we not switched to the Strattera/Ritalin combo, we would have upped his Concerta dose again, as it started losing its effectiveness.

Closed Thread