It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User
Back and depressed

After a long hiatus during which time I've put my house on the market, moved to another state, and begun a new job, I'm finally back online here. It's been a long time.

I'm feeling as depressed as I ever have. In reflecting on that tonight I've found my depression has picked up a lot since my failed attempts to address my ADD (or whatever it is is going on in my brain). I've tried a multitude of ADD medications with very short-lived success. I think the biggest thing contributing to my depression is the very fact that Adderall worked for me for a while but then the effects went away no matter how much I increased it or what other meds I tried. Now I'm left with my brain feeling the way I always have before knowing that at least for a little while there was another way.

I've pretty much given up on medicating myself. My neurologist back in North Carolina gave me an ADD test which I not only passed but scored above average on. I don't understand. Do I or do I not have ADD or some form of it? If I don't have it then what the heck did Adderall do that helped me so much? Is it just the high that lifted some depression? If that's the case then why haven't any of the slew of antidepressant drugs I've taken done anything at all for me?

So here I am dealing with life and my brain as best I can. I just wanted to check in since you guys have all been so supportive and helpful in the past. I hope everyone is doing well.

Aaron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Back and depressed

Hey there! Not feeling so addventerous?
I haven't been checking in here as often as I used to.
I was glad to see your post.
Personally, I have been on a bit of a tailspin myself.
I get so flustered with myself because I know what I could/should do, but...
what I often end up doing is counterproductive?
or I make the same poor choice as to how to spend my time...
but then I think...well it's my time..and I try to take a positive look on it..
BUT...then I am still stuck in the same rut...too much to do...stress..
the clock is evil and I need a break from myself! HAhaha

The med (Ritalin) helps me focus on what I am doing...but I still have to choose what to do So I am back in school and loving Algebra...I would do that instead of whatever ( it's actually relaxing...) I am able to take my final exam early and test ahead of the next class to meet all my requirements.

Have you considered a fresh perspective from a new pdoc in your new area?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Hi again...I had a thought process I wanted to share with you about the neurologist you saw...
Did the doctor evaluating you base his diagnosis solely on cognitive tests?

Because there is no diagnostic test for ADD.

Did he interview you at length regarding your symptoms? and ask about any necessary documents like school reports or other useful outside input that could be used to provide more information as to your lifelong challenges?

If that wasn't what your evaluation was like, there is a problem with the validity of your diagnosis, and I would definitely get a second opinion.

Cognitive tests can only rule out other issues that night be causing your symptoms, such as basic intellectual impariment or other psychological issues.

It's possible depression can be due to untreated or un dx ADD.
Just sayin

Last edited by LessStress38; 04-10-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
(male)

addventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB Useraddventurous HB User

Hi LessStress,
As you can see I'm a little slow in replying to messages on this forum. Sorry about that. It's really good to be back in touch.

As for ADHD, it's a long story but I've decided that for the most part I am not ADHD. The positive effects from the drugs were really just the side effects, the "high" feelings that last only temporarily. After those disappeared (fairly quickly) all I was left with was an emotional roller coaster mess.

At this point I've decided what I'm dealing with and have been for much of my life is a form of mild chronic depression. As such I bought the book "The Depression Cure" by Stephen Ilardi PhD and have been putting it's TLC (I forget what that stands for, Total Life something) plan into action and achieving good results. It calls for regular exercise, exposure to sunlight, avoiding ruminating, being social, and taking fish oil supplements. So far I'm getting pretty good results.

Again sorry it took me so long to get back to you and especially for that really depressing post. I was feeling very down when I typed it as I'm sure you and everybody else could tell. I'm feeling more up and optimistic now.

As for the test the neurologist gave me, I guess that's what you get when you go to somebody who has no real idea about ADHD. They just throw a test at you and diagnose you.

I'll try to keep in touch.

Aaron

Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
(female)

Glad to hear things are looking up!
Take care!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
(female)

Hey, was doing some research for school and found a book you may find interesting....
It's by Johnsgard, Keith "Conquering depression&anxiety through exercise".
It has lots of research info....
I have just been skimming through it ....good stuff

Closed Thread