It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
ADHD and Confusion Squared

I'm nearly 59, and was diagnosed with ADHD just last summer.

My question is, how is my psyche supposed to absorb the changes I'm supposed to make to my personality in order to 'fit in' or, in my case, go back to work?

I'm now being told that after nearly 6 decades on earth that the way I think is wrong, because of a 'disorder of my brain'. I've never believed it when people say that they are 'set in their ways', but now I find that I'm facing that selfsame problem. Am I now too 'set in my ways' to absorb the 'support' that the psychologist is trying to provide me with?

Frankly, I find him fascinating, but tend to forget most of what we talk about, forget to do 'homework', forget to do everything except show up for my next appointment. Because he's fascinating and interesting to talk with.

I can't take ADHD meds because of a heart condition so I'm spared that nightmare of adjusting to this or that pyschostimulant. But I'm also not given the chemical support that would likely help me focus and stop being so distractible.

The challenge ahead of me of trying to make my brain adjust to 'reality' is really hard, my brain just won't stay on topic; the focus just won't happen.

I bought "You Mean I'm Not Lazy Stupid or Crazy", and am trying my best to read it. It held me for an hour, and its now sat collecting dust for the last week. I really am trying here. I make a promise to myself every day to pick it up again and then get distracted by something more interesting than myself.

Sorry this is so long and rambling, but I guess that's just part of the whole package.

Can anyone pop in with some insight?

I'll stop now ... honest ...

Thanks very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: ADHD and Confusion Squared

1) Whatever happens, you will always have ADHD. Don't forget that.

2) Think baby steps. Pick one thing that you want to improve in your life, and improve it. If the book is too long, read an article.

3) Tell the psychologist that you tend to forget what was talked about in session. Ask for help with taking session notes, and ask for the "homework" to be repeated at the end. My coach sometimes emails me a reminder mid-week, to check up on me.

4) You don't need to change your personality. Try to find a job that fits YOU, and change your BEHAVIORS just enough to keep it!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Wootton (04-04-2012)
Closed Thread