It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2003, 06:55 PM   #1

boymomx2 HB User
Unhappy adhd with tic disorder

my 8 year old son, daignosised at age 5 with adhd, was diagnosised in august with a tic disorder called tourettes syndrome. It is associated with adhd children. Some adhd medications, stimulants, can make a child have involuntary motor movements, in their face, arms, or vocal movements. My son experiences head thrust, rapid eye blinking and involuntary vocal tics. In order for the medication to produce the tic, it must be in your child's genetic components. (Stimulants do not CAUSE TICs.) Does anyone else have a child experiencing this?? I have been to neurologist, psychologist, & wish for insight from an parent experiencing this with their child. thanks.

Old 03-14-2003, 06:14 AM   #2
(female)

Tyler's Mom HB User
My 12 y/o son is ADHD and began having tics a few years ago while on stimulant meds. The tics have changed several times over the years. They seemed to decrease some over the summer when not on meds. We tried biofeedback for the tics with some improvement, but they did not go away. When we first changed to Strattera a few weeks ago the tics seemed to diminish greatly, then came back to almost pre-Strattera level.We increased the Strattera dosage from 40 mg to 60 mg, given in the morning. The tics are greatly decreased again, I hope they stay that way. A study is being done on the effects of Strattera on tics. There are other meds being prescribed for tics, you can find out about this on the Tourette's wed site. One MD wanted to try my son on Respiridol. This is an antipsychotic med with major side effects. My son said the tics didn't bother him enough that he wanted to take another med besides the ADHD med he was on. I didn't want him to take it because of the side effects, so we didn't try it. It may have made a difference in the tics, but I wasn't willing to try it.
A MD I work with at a childrens hospital said one of his Tourette's patients is seeing a major decrease in the tic with Strattera. I'm not trying to "sell" you on Strattera, but it is working for my son on the tics and seems to be working pretty well on the ADHD. My son says he is able to focus much better since his Strattera dosage was increased. The tics you described and almost exactly like the one my son had, though his change form from time to time and are worse during times of stress. Hope this helps you some.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2003, 06:27 AM   #3

Charmed HB User
My son developed tics while he was taking Adderall. He no longer takes meds, so thankfully, the tics have disappeared.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #4

roadmap HB User
STrattera seems to have reduced my sons tics as well.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #5

CMMG HB User
Dear Boymomx2,

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with Tourettes, ADHD, and just last year Aspergers syndrome. It was a long complicated diagnostic process because so many of these disorders overlap in symptoms! I started him seeing a psychologist because he was having a really hard time in kindergarten!! This poor kid at age 5 was an anxiety ridden mess and it was at this time that his blinking tic developed. We were hoping it was just an anxiety response and my son was started on low dose of clonidine to help with the anxiety and the tics. But as he continued to move forward in school his inablity
to focus became more apparent and additional tics developed. He was neuro-psych tested and tested positive for ADHD. My son also had a tendency to retreat into "his own little world" at times and was showing some other bizarre fantasy like behavior so he was started on a low dose of risperdal. The clonidine and risperdal helped with his tics and his fantasy symptoms ( which is the Asperger's ) but he still had trouble focusing and keeping it together in school. He was tried on adderall for a short time but it made him really cranky and made his tics worse. So we went to see a neurologist who recommended Concerta. The Concerta worked really well for him and he was finally able to get stuff done in school, do his homework, and miracle of miracles making friends and being more social. The concerta did affect his tics but with the risperdal on board they are manageable. The pros with the concerta definitely outweighed the cons. Unfortunately my sons weight has suffered so at his last appt. with his neurologist we both agreed it would be worth trying the strattera. Unfortunately it
does not seem to be working for him. We have just tried a 10 mg dose increase to see how this works. This is higher than the recommended dose for his weight but I felt we would give it a try since it takes a while for the med to build up. He has had a return of some of his Asperger symptoms, is not focused in school, and nearly crawled out of his skin at church yesturday. There have been some positive results but at this point they do not outweigh the negative. I have been considering asking the doctor about doing a low dose of both meds (concerta and strattera) to see if we can get the best of both. I'm not sure if it is recommeded but it doesn't hurt to ask at this point! So as you can see I have tried the meds you are questioning and my best advice is that it really does not hurt to try. The good thing about concerta is it can be stopped overnight, it does not need to be taken every day if you don't want to. It is quick in and quick out. Some people don't take it on the weekends just on school days. I have found the risperdal to be helpful for my son's tics as well as for his asperger symptoms. He doesn't retreat into himself as much when he takes it with the concerta. I know this is a longgg
message, but I hope it is helpful to you.

Old 03-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #6

boymomx2 HB User
Smile

thank you for all of your information.

Old 03-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #7

alexito HB User
Aderall and Aderall XR caused blinking eyes in my 7 year old.

We were able to "live with it", but it got to a point that the doctor recomended change in med. We are trying straterra tomorrow. Since it is not a stimulant, it should work...cross fingers.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
Inactive

FJ* HB User
My son used to have this problem. I figured out that the most of the neurotransmitters meds induced either a B6 or a zinc deficiency which caused the vocal tics and lip tics. Many parents of TSers, but few physicians know that the tics of many, but not all, children with Tourette Syndrome can be reduced or eliminated by vitamin supplementation. Facial and eye blinking/eye rolling tics respond best to B1, Mg, and/or L-carnitine. Vocal tics usually respond well to B6/P5P, zinc, and/or L-carnitine. If you do a WEB search, you will find a nutrient program designed specifically for Tourette Syndrome that works about 80% of the time. I don't know if I am allowed to give more specific information on this forum.

The nutrient deficiencies are usually not due to poor diet, but rather (1) a genetic disorder in which more of one type of nutrient is needed at greater than RDA levels, (2) an intestinal malabsorption problem due to an infection and/or allergy, and/or (3) medication-induced deficiencies. If the latter is the problem, then extra nutrient supplementation won't help because the mode of action of the meds blocks the absorption of the nutrients into the tissues that are full of meds. In such cases, one must stop the meds and supplement to get rid of the symptom. In fact, most adverse reactions to these meds are due to nutrient depletion. For example, ritalin depletes B6 which in turn reduces the production of serotonin. Low serotonin levels reduce appetite and can cause depression.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:50 PM   #9

sharonlyn25 HB User
Angry

Hi,I am a mom of 4 boys and my 8 yr old has adhd. I've been at it for 2 yrs trying to find the right med's to work. We've tried adderral and concerta and had no success. He is currently been on straterra(60 mg) along with Ritalin La 20mg. He has been on the both since the end of last school year but I have to say I haven't seen significant results as I hear you should. We just upped the straterra to 60 mg and now he has started tics for about a week now. He has had them before when on the others that didn't help but once I took him off of it they stopped so obveiously they were drug-induced. I keep hearing that med's don't cause them, then tell me Why does he not have them when off meds? Right now they are the head bobbling from side to side, eye-twitching etc. If you have never experienced tics before tey are Horrible and this is the worst they've ever been. I'm debating on just stopping all the meds. altogether for the fact I'm worried I'm hurting him more than helping him. Can someone please help me?

Old 09-06-2003, 09:34 PM   #10

firebug31 HB User
My 9 yr old son was taking concerta and his tics started horrible. He switched to Strattera and they subsided almost immediately but they have come back some especially throat clearing. His seem to be more stress related especially when he is nervous about something i.e. his friend being able to attend his b-day party. He will strat the tics and sometimes off the scale but once his fear of the worry is over it seems to subside. The psych said that is not uncommon.

CMMG you mentioned that your son was on 10mg Strattera limit for his weight? You may want to check that 10 mg is nothing. Many docs do the math with Strattera and I believe that is .75mg per lb dont quote me but that is what my pediatrician used. However like my phsyc said the target dose is 80mg. My son is currently on 25 in the morn and 18 at night. If we can get the tics under control we are looking at going back to one dose in the am since his sleepyness seems to be gone.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #11

firebug31 HB User
My 9 yr old son was taking concerta and his tics started horrible. He switched to Strattera and they subsided almost immediately but they have come back some especially throat clearing. His seem to be more stress related especially when he is nervous about something i.e. his friend being able to attend his b-day party. He will strat the tics and sometimes off the scale but once his fear of the worry is over it seems to subside. The psych said that is not uncommon.

CMMG you mentioned that your son was on 10mg Strattera limit for his weight? You may want to check that 10 mg is nothing. Many docs do the math with Strattera and I believe that is .75mg per lb dont quote me but that is what my pediatrician used. However like my phsyc said the target dose is 80mg. My son is currently on 25 in the morn and 18 at night. If we can get the tics under control we are looking at going back to one dose in the am since his sleepyness seems to be gone.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #12

sharonlyn25 HB User
Unhappy

Hi, Just wanted to add more from the other message I posted the other day when I wa wondering if my son was benefiting rom ritalin la and strattera. He has been on them both for only 5-6 months.I asked his special ed. teacher how he functions in the room. She said he does fine in there as well as his homeroom. That he stays on task and doesn't have to be told or fought with to do his work so I guess the meds have helped. Just wonder why just now is he having motor tics(head jerking,eye squinting,facial only, no vocal)? I was told by the dr. as well as others it may just be the adjusting to the whole school scheduke again being school's only been in 2 weeks. Can anyone give me some insight please?

Old 09-10-2003, 06:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
CMMG, He was neuro-psych tested and tested positive for ADHD. What type of testing was done? I was always curious as to the diagnosis of ADD because it seems like it is mostly a doc or psych’s observations and answering some specific questions. Before I put my child on meds where I will be upping and downing dosage, changing to see what works, combining to see what works best, I want solid scientific proof! And, if it is a neurological problem, why can’t it be neurologically detected? firebug31, CMMG said they “upped” his dosage by 10mg but didn’t indicate the total.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:44 PM   #14

vrie HB User
My daughter (9yo ADHD, OCD< possible Tourette's) had tics well before stimulants were used as well. The stimulants DO make them worse, different ones doing different things to her comorbid disorders. She takes clonidine to counteract the tics which helps. Stress is one of the major things that brings on an increase in tics-- we up her clonidine at the beginning of a new school year!

Her father was unmedicated ADD and Tourette's and stress also was his major trigger.

One thing you should understand about Tourette's is that the tics "wax and wane" (get more or less) periodically, so it can be hard to say that the drugs are causing or changing the pattern unless it's like my daughter's first dose of dexedrine-- 6X increase within an hour and 6X less when it wore off! Also the types of tics change over time. for a dx of Tourette's there should be vocal and motor tics(not necessarily at the same time) for a period of at least one year.

I'm here checking out anecdotes on Strattera and tics etc prior to a possible change in meds.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:45 PM   #15

vrie HB User
oops i had duplicated that

[This message has been edited by vrie (edited 09-24-2003).]

Closed Thread