It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
(female)

tarada HB User
Experiences with Wellbutrin and Adderall?

I've been on Wellbutrin for almost a year now (started June 2011) in combination with Lamictal (250 mg) for type one bipolar disorder. Wellbutrin has been amazing for controlling my episodes of what can oftentimes be severe depression. I've even lost 40 pounds! (For health reasons it was very beneficial for me to lose the weight.) I was at 300 mg for a while, bumped up to 450 mg in January of this year. I've found it to be the ideal dosage for me.

In February I was diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive type. A few weeks I finally started Adderall, the first ADHD med I've tried so far. For the first week, I took 20 mg when I woke up, then the second week I took 20 mg when waking up and 20 mg 4-5 hours later. My doctor decreased my Wellbutrin to 300 mg again just to be on the safe side. After the two weeks, she wanted to see how Adderall XR 30 mg would work for me. Since I started taking it last week, I've been feeling mild depression. Called the doctor today (she was out of town), and told her my concerns. We decided to try the 20 mg Adderall IR twice daily again and bump my Wellbutrin back up to 450 mg.

Now that I'm done with the novel I just wrote above, here's my actual question Has anyone here been on Adderall and Wellbutrin together, and if so, what dosages of each were you taking? I have this irrational fear of being messed up by medication, and I guess it would just help to hear from someone else who's been on the same meds as me. Lastly, are the dosages I'm taking potentially too high?

Any feedback I can get would be immensely appreciated I'm very familiar now with Wellbutrin, but Adderall is completely new territory for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
(female)

berkeleyfemme HB User
Re: Experiences with Wellbutrin and Adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarada View Post
I've been on Wellbutrin for almost a year now (started June 2011) in combination with Lamictal (250 mg) for type one bipolar disorder. Wellbutrin has been amazing for controlling my episodes of what can oftentimes be severe depression. I've even lost 40 pounds! (For health reasons it was very beneficial for me to lose the weight.) I was at 300 mg for a while, bumped up to 450 mg in January of this year. I've found it to be the ideal dosage for me.

In February I was diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive type. A few weeks I finally started Adderall, the first ADHD med I've tried so far. For the first week, I took 20 mg when I woke up, then the second week I took 20 mg when waking up and 20 mg 4-5 hours later. My doctor decreased my Wellbutrin to 300 mg again just to be on the safe side. After the two weeks, she wanted to see how Adderall XR 30 mg would work for me. Since I started taking it last week, I've been feeling mild depression. Called the doctor today (she was out of town), and told her my concerns. We decided to try the 20 mg Adderall IR twice daily again and bump my Wellbutrin back up to 450 mg.

Now that I'm done with the novel I just wrote above, here's my actual question Has anyone here been on Adderall and Wellbutrin together, and if so, what dosages of each were you taking? I have this irrational fear of being messed up by medication, and I guess it would just help to hear from someone else who's been on the same meds as me. Lastly, are the dosages I'm taking potentially too high?

Any feedback I can get would be immensely appreciated I'm very familiar now with Wellbutrin, but Adderall is completely new territory for me.
Yes - I've taken 300 mg of Wellbutrin with 20 mg. Adderall - with a diagnosis bi-polar rapid cycler - but ECT 8 times in 2003 - stopped the bi-polar! left side of head feels like cotton and all science studies forgotten. Anyway, getting back to the matter at hand - my experirence is that Together - The Wellbutrin (which i called my happy pill) - I see that Wellbutrin, Not the Adderall - was the medication which kept me waking up throughout the night. I say this because, if I take 20 or 30 mg of Adderrall alone, I'm able to totally relax. This is My personal experience.

And, my experience - Lamictal at 300 mg, without Wellbutrin - made me More Depressed.

Last edited by berkeleyfemme; 04-30-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: adding info on Lamictal

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

berkeleyfemme HB User

Yes - I've taken 300 mg of Wellbutrin with 20 mg. Adderall - with a diagnosis bi-polar rapid cycler - but ECT 8 times in 2003 - (stopped the bi-polar! left side of head feels like cotton and all science studies forgotten. Anyway, getting back to the matter at hand - my experirence is that Together - The Wellbutrin (which i called my happy pill) - It became quite clear that the Wellbutrin, Not the Adderall - was the medication which kept me waking up throughout the night. And, that although i felt it as a Happy Pill - it made me quite tense. Also, with regard to Lamictal - if you want to kill your sex drive - That drug with do it! Now, without Lamictal and without Wellbutrin - if I take 20 or 30 mg of Adderrall alone, I'm able to totally relax and have a definite lift in my mood (rather than catatonic depression). This is My personal experience. And, my experience - Lamictal at 300 mg, without Wellbutrin - made me More Depressed. I guess i told you a bit more than what you were asking about - but it gets complex AND is intense.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
(female)

tarada HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyfemme View Post
Yes - I've taken 300 mg of Wellbutrin with 20 mg. Adderall - with a diagnosis bi-polar rapid cycler - but ECT 8 times in 2003 - (stopped the bi-polar! left side of head feels like cotton and all science studies forgotten. Anyway, getting back to the matter at hand - my experirence is that Together - The Wellbutrin (which i called my happy pill) - It became quite clear that the Wellbutrin, Not the Adderall - was the medication which kept me waking up throughout the night. And, that although i felt it as a Happy Pill - it made me quite tense. Also, with regard to Lamictal - if you want to kill your sex drive - That drug with do it! Now, without Lamictal and without Wellbutrin - if I take 20 or 30 mg of Adderrall alone, I'm able to totally relax and have a definite lift in my mood (rather than catatonic depression). This is My personal experience. And, my experience - Lamictal at 300 mg, without Wellbutrin - made me More Depressed. I guess i told you a bit more than what you were asking about - but it gets complex AND is intense.
Thanks for replying! I've had the same experience with Lamictal. Luckily it hasn't killed my sex drive at all. Adderall has kind of affected my ability to..get there, shall we say, but I read that was a possible side-effect. Anyway, Lamictal helped lessen the intensity and duration of my manic episodes amazingly. It did nothing for my depression at all, which is the most debilitating part of bipolar disorder for me. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who Lamictal had that effect on in regards to depression, I keep getting told that for most people it helps more with the depression than the mania. Lamictal alone just wasn't cutting for me. Then I got on Wellbutrin, and it's done wonders. It's my happy pill, too I've been on Adderall for a month, and it seems to be helping. I hope that combining it with therapy will get my ADHD under control, it's a nightmare.

The following user gives a hug of support to tarada:
berkeleyfemme (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

berkeleyfemme HB User

Quote:
Thanks for replying! I've had the same experience with Lamictal. Luckily it hasn't killed my sex drive at all. Adderall has kind of affected my ability to..get there, shall we say, but I read that was a possible side-effect. Anyway, Lamictal helped lessen the intensity and duration of my manic episodes amazingly. It did nothing for my depression at all, which is the most debilitating part of bipolar disorder for me. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who Lamictal had that effect on in regards to depression, I keep getting told that for most people it helps more with the depression than the mania. Lamictal alone just wasn't cutting for me. Then I got on Wellbutrin, and it's done wonders. It's my happy pill, too I've been on Adderall for a month, and it seems to be helping. I hope that combining it with therapy will get my ADHD under control, it's a nightmare.
Believe it or not - the psychiatrist i'm seeing, wont give me wellbutrin OR adderral. So, he's now perscribing clonopin (super addicting but he says "hey, no side affects," and ambien at night. So, Yes = the sleep is a major asset but daily with the clonopin i'm tired even more so and scattered and depressed. WOw, some psychiatrist. SO, i had to take a bus to Freemont, CA - to the chuman-liles clinic - have to wait 1 month - hoping to get the adderall! As if i have to fight so i can relax. Incredible.
HUGS to YOU- yes, glad to know of another - yourself - with the lamictal issue and bringing one down. IT does seem that i'm grinding my teeth with the Wellbutrin, so i need the clonopin with it - then i'm so scattered ...adderral.
Yet - keeping my boat a float - is the Abilify - i'm on 20 mg - going up to 30 mg. like i used to. This is a great med, i feel for bi-polar - if they insist i'm bi-polar which i disagree after 8 times ect back in 2003. incredible.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

Jasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyfemme View Post
Believe it or not - the psychiatrist i'm seeing, wont give me wellbutrin OR adderral. So, he's now perscribing clonopin (super addicting but he says "hey, no side affects," and ambien at night. So, Yes = the sleep is a major asset but daily with the clonopin i'm tired even more so and scattered and depressed. WOw, some psychiatrist. SO, i had to take a bus to Freemont, CA - to the chuman-liles clinic - have to wait 1 month - hoping to get the adderall! As if i have to fight so i can relax. Incredible.
HUGS to YOU- yes, glad to know of another - yourself - with the lamictal issue and bringing one down. IT does seem that i'm grinding my teeth with the Wellbutrin, so i need the clonopin with it - then i'm so scattered ...adderral.
Yet - keeping my boat a float - is the Abilify - i'm on 20 mg - going up to 30 mg. like i used to. This is a great med, i feel for bi-polar - if they insist i'm bi-polar which i disagree after 8 times ect back in 2003. incredible.
Hi...

I don't have bipolar disorder, but sometimes I swear I do. Especially with PMS 2 weeks prior to menstruation. I am currently on Cymbalta 60mg for a major depressive disorder and General Anxiety Disorder. I also take Adderall 20 mg 2x a day for ADHD. I am planning to start birth control this month to alleviate PMS symptoms (monster mood swings) and acne.

Clonopin is very addicting and there are side affects. I was prescribed this med for panic attacks. The one side affect that prompted me to get of the med after almost 5 years of continuous use is...it affected my memory. I am on my 3rd month off of Clonopin and my memory and cognitive skills have improved much. This med did help me to stabiize, but it is not recommended for long term use and coming off of it was extremely uncomfortable.

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

batch1 HB User

Quote:

Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Looks like I'm late to the party, but for what it's worth, I've been on 450mg of Wellbutrin and either Adderall or Dexedrine for over two years with no negative effects. My current Dexedrine dosage is 45mg.

As far as being potentially too high, 20mg Adderall is reasonably low. Normal range for Adderall is up to 40mg for ADHD, and up to 60mg for treatment of Narcolepsy. The normal maximum dosage for Wellbutrin is 300mg, and when I was bumped to 450, my pharmacist wasn't thrilled. I have since talked to other doctors/pharmacists, however, that told me that while 450 is beyond the normal range, it's not unheard of.

I was briefly bumped to 600mg Wellbutrin, but it was too much for me. I had a lot of side effects, including raging headaches. Back at 450 with 45mg Dex works great, and apart from some tremors and occasional lightheadedness I have no problems. Of course, your own mileage may vary.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
(female)

Surfingirl HB User

This past year, I take 30mg Adderall XR- for ADD (after chemotherapy) and 300 mg Wellbutrin combination has given me my life back! The Fog-o-Confusion is gone!! It is important to drink plenty of water when taking Adderall as you will have an increased thirst. And get enough sleep at night 6-7 hours for the medication to work properly (in most adults). The only true side effect I have from Adderall is what I call "hitting the wall". 12 hours after (410p) when the medication wears off, I MUST sleep. I cannot function to form 2 words. I cannot drive my car and often give the impression I am drunk. My physician is aware and says it is (common) in some active adults to have this type of medication drop off. I sleep for approx 20-50 mins and when I awake it is the equivalent of a Power Nap for me.

Last edited by Surfingirl; 06-27-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Has anyone had a "sudden sleep requirement" 2 hours after taking the Welly/Adderall?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
(female)

imhaleyy HB User

I'm a younger female, but I take Wellbutrin and Adderall. I've been taking Adderall for a little over a month now, and it helps me out a lot. At first I was taking one 5mg in the morning then another one at 3:00. That wasn't enough so I got moved up to two 5mg in the morning and still 5mg at 3:00. It worked for a few days then it still wasn't enough. So my doctor changed my mg to 10. I take two in the morning and one at 3:00, so I take 30mg a day.
I have depression. So at the same time I started taking my Addeall I started taking Prozac 10mg. I had to get off of it about 3 weeks into it because it made me so tired that I didn't want to get out of bed. I was late to school a few times, and I had to get my mom to check me out because I was falling asleep in class.
Now I take Wellbutrin 150mg. I still take my 30mg of Adderall. When I was about 11 or 12 I took Wellbutrin, so that's why I'm on it again. I can see a change in myself when I take it with my Adderall. In all honesty, it work. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it makes me so mean. I tell people how I feel about them to their face, which it the right thing to do. But that's not me at all. I never say things I shouldn't to people. I also have a horrible attitude and I'm very sarcastic. Honestly, I almost like that I'm so honest, but I hate that I'm so rude. I don't know if it's just me or if it's the two medicines combined. I hope this helped you in some way! I fairly young and maybe nobody really would like to get a reply about medicines from somebody in high school but I thought maybe I could help a little bit or you could help me lol.

Last edited by mod85; 07-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to imhaleyy:
tarada (05-11-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Don't be concerned about your age, experience is experience, and you have it. I appreciate hearing your feelings about how Adderall and Wellbutrin are working for you, and I'm sure it will be helpful to others as well.

As for being mean, it's not uncommon for people on stimulants to get that way. Unfortunately, stimulants can't be aimed just for the parts of the brain that we're trying to make work better, so they can increase activity in the parts of the brain that make us mean as well.

That said, if this is a real problem and doesn't go away in a few weeks, talk to your doctor about Vyvanse or Concerta instead of Adderall. The medications that these contain are very similar to Adderall, but they sometimes cause less side effects.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
(female)

tarada HB User

Don't worry about your age. Like Thunor said, experience is experience. We're all here to help and support each other with our experiences Having ADHD as a child and teenager is very challenging! I remember it well. I'm a junior high/high school teacher and I have so much respect for my students with ADHD because I know how difficult school can be for them! If I had the choice, I would choose to not have ADHD, but it does have its pros as well as cons. I'm grateful I have the ability to think outside the box more than most people do and that I'm able to help students with ADHD with my first-hand experience from being a student myself with the disorder.

I too got really moody and angry while starting Adderall. I had the temper of a honey badger-tasmanian devil hybrid. My friends, family, and other people who I liked had no reason to fear an outburst from me. It was usually people I didn't like who were annoying me that were the ones who needed to watch out for me. I was pretty honest with my opinions too and didn't hold back from saying much, and that's not how I usually am, either. Normally I'm very self-restrained and tactful. I'm glad I stuck through the first couple months of taking Adderall. Now that I've been on it a year, I tolerate it very well All the unpleasant side effects are gone. I feel relaxed, chilled out, and can focus on getting things done that need to be taken care of. I'm so glad I stuck through the adjustment phase because it does great things for me now!

With the Wellbutrin, I found the only thing I've needed to be watchful of so far is taking the two medications too closely together. For me, taking 20 mg Adderall too close to Wellbutrin makes my heart race since they've both got stimulant properties.

I hope any of this helped you out, and thank you for replying! Just hang in there, it really does get better

Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
(female)

succeedwithadd HB User

Works quite nicely actually. 150mg 2xday Wellbutrin and Adderrall 40mg am 10mg at lunch weekends less 30mg-40mg total.
Give it time and take it easy..

Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
(female)

Rherrera21 HB User

I've never taken either but I take cymbalta and riddlin and I believe they work kind of similar. Can anyone explain the diff between adderal and riddlin? I only take it to stay awake I'm on heavy pain meds for chronic pain. THanks.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
(female)

Fuss wagon HB User

Wellbutrin and Adderrall. Yes, and I think it's a good mix although I feel anxious sometimes. 450 mg Wellbutrin and 40 mg of Adderrall. my doctor thinks I need to cut my Wellbutrin or my Adderrall down. When the Adderrall wears off I have a tremendous urge to cry, cuss, and through things away. I dont mind but it pisses my husband off. The combo helps me take care of my house and children and eliminates my lifelong feeling of boredom.

Closed Thread