It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

Jasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB User
ADHD and irregular sleep patterns

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to regulate sleep.

I wonder if -feeling more awake at night- has anything to do with ADHD. I experienced this kind of awake energy as a child. I didn't take any prescription meds for ADD/ADHD during my childhood, except OTC Dimetapp every morning for supposed allergies.

I am now in my late twenties and taking prescription Adderrall. I recently began experiencing this wakefulness at night again and its affecting my sleep. I sleep 2-3 hours a night compared to the usual 7-9 hours. I'm afraid this sleep disturbance will affect my day routine and concentration.

I refrain from napping during the day as much as I want to. I avoid caffeine because I don't like that jittery feeling.

I could be dead tired and when 10pm rolls around, I start to feel more awake.

What is happening here ???

Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: ADHD and irregular sleep patterns

Oh, this is definitely an ADHD thing. All my life, it's taken me hours to "wind down" and fall asleep. I remember having this problem at three or four years old. My mother insists I didn't sleep much when I was a baby. Sleep hygiene has helped some, but not entirely.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Jasmine80 (04-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
(female)

I took up a dance class (3x a week) and I am sleeping like a baby.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
(male)

TheMrBT HB User

I've always found that how easily I am able to sleep is directly dependant upon how engaged I am in an activity. If I am busy right before bed then I have a hard time getting to bed and getting to sleep even if I have finished what it was I was working on.

I have found nothing to helps my sleep issue at all but I also have always experienced very few side effects to my "sleep deprivation" so I've no need to work on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheMrBT For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (05-10-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrBT View Post
I've always found that how easily I am able to sleep is directly dependant upon how engaged I am in an activity. If I am busy right before bed then I have a hard time getting to bed and getting to sleep even if I have finished what it was I was working on.

I have found nothing to helps my sleep issue at all but I also have always experienced very few side effects to my "sleep deprivation" so I've no need to work on it.
I am similar...it takes me too long to wind down after an activity.

How many hours do you sleep on a weekly basis? Do you relax often throughout the day?

The only thing I experience with lack of sleep is that I tend to be more forgetful and also slow wound healing. If I get a bruise on my shin, it takes forever to heal and when I sleep well...hardly any bruising.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jasmine80 For This Useful Post:
Janaye27 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Yep, like everyone has been saying, ADHD can definitely cause irregular sleep patterns. Ever since I was a kid I've always had the same complaints that you do, it takes me forever to fall asleep. Even if you do a winding-down activity first (like reading), it still could take like an hour plus. I have found that certain noises help me to sleep better, so you could look into that. Also, my doctor used to tell me that being active within a few hours of wanting to sleep can make things worse. That I have found to be true as well. You could try monitoring that for yourself perhaps.

Like others have been saying, occasional resting periods throughout the day could help too. Just try and alter your lifestyle to something that might help you be more relaxed. Best of luck!

Closed Thread