It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Thumbs up Good Books - ADD related

Hi everyone. Just a reminder, the internet, message boards, and your doctor arent the only place to get information about ADD. There are many great books out there written by parents, teachers, doctors, and ADDers themselves. I think reading a wide range of authors who write ADD books a good way to keep an open mind and gather information regaurding ADD. Many others take different stand points on issues such as whether or not ADD is real, what causes ADD, how it should be treated, what helps vs what doesnt help, and much more. It is important to read ALL different types of thoughts on the subject. It is also important to aproach the information with an unbiased opinion in order to allow yourself to learn something. Meaning if you dont believe in medication you should still read books about how medication can be helpful to gain the knowledge and insight. For people who think medications are safe and the best treatment you should read some information about alternative treatments, whether ADD exists etc etc. Even if you dont agree with the author you can still learn from what they have to say.

I am starting this list of great books related to ADD. They are MUST READS!! So go down to the your local library and check out these when you have the time.

Please post your favorite books about ADD. Be sure to include Title AND author, if you'd like include a short summary of what its about or how the book helped you.

Here are my 3 favorites:

"Healing ADD" by Dr. Amen -
This book talks about 6 different subtypes of ADD. There are case stories as well as suggestions on what medications & natural supplements work best for specific subtypes.

"Driven to Distraction" by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D.
and John J. Ratey, M.D. -
This book disscusses all sorts of ADD issues. It talks about symptoms. As well as co-occuring problems. Parts of the elephant is one section in the book that talks about how ADD apears in different people. ADD in the creative person, ADD with addictive personality, etc etc

"Nurture by Nature - Understanding Your Child's Personality Type - And Becoming a Better Parent", by Paul D. Tieger & Barbara Barron-Tieger. -
Good book about personality types. Certain personality types can look like ADD ADHD

Please add to this list! I will also be posting more of the books that I like. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

------------------
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
The blood group diet contains interesting hints/suggestions about lifestyle and diet with AD(H)D:

Author: Dr. Peter D'Adamo
"Live right 4 your Type" (as well as the "Eat right 4 your Type" book about nutrition and "Cook right 4 your Type" for recipes).

He suggests Type 0 tend to be ADD OR ADHD, and type B ADD.

------------------
Redhead23

Female, 25

Quit smoking & left abusive relationship in 2003 - now there's just some 25 lbs to lose and I'm happy again

Possible ADD

Anxiety, panic attacks

[This message has been edited by Redhead23 (edited 10-03-2003).]

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 10-03-2003, 04:54 AM   #3

Markie Mark HB User
Cool

I also like Dr. Hallowells book "Driven to Distraction". He has another book that I like "Answers to Distraction" It contains actual questions from people at his lectures and his answers. They are seperated into similar areas make for good referance.

Closed Thread