It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

QZSue HB User
Intuniv any side effects

Our 14 y.o. son started Intuniv about two months ago. Just curious if any of your children complained about stomach aches and headaches? I do realize that over time some side effects will lessen. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Intuniv any side effects

I experience a few minutes of mild stomach upset taking 4mg dose of guanfacine. I've been taking it for just about 1 year.

I primarily use Intuniv at night to control my ADHD restlessness. I have experienced some improvement in concentration and focus functions during the following day.

Intuniv alone does not provide me with enough concentration efficacy for me to use it as stand-alone medication. However I am interested to hear experiences from those that find Intuniv alone efficacious enough for good attention control.

I have read studies that concluded that methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, etc.) helps children well control their impulsivity, restlessness and conduct but helps little or diminishes their ability to concentrate, focus and perform the mental processes involved in learning.

My experience as an adult with methylphenidate at any dose is it badly exascerbates my attention deficit. So called control over my restlessness is better described as a "zombie effect."

It is easy for parents and teachers to assume that control over conduct is control over attention. Teachers may be more than happy that the disruption has stopped and may not report signs that school performance has not improved.

A possible way to determine in children the effects on concentration/focus of an ADHD medication is by noting their scholastic performance. to measure their improvement in concentration. You should see a persistent improvement in scholastic performance over time.

I find Intuniv significantly superior over methyphenidate. I believe that the area of research being opened by Intuniv may lead to medications as efficacious for focus and attention as amphetamine but without the associated risks. Potential for addiction aside, I see the primary risk of amphetamine is its non-selective stimulation of every bodily function we possess. ADHD is caused by under stimulation primarily in the brains signal pathways and perhaps a few of its function specific low level modules. It appears as if Intuniv is targeting just those brain areas that need the boost.

Please keep in mind that we all respond differently to ADHD medications. My response is not necessarily typical or even usual.

I loved to hear your experience with your son. Is he showing a marked improvement in his scholastic performance? A lack of improvement especially after just 2 months means nothing. Certainly it would be no reason to change course. I just like to know if you can observe an improvement in his ability to control his attention at this early stage.

Thank you.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread