It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Emotional volatility?

Anyone found solutions to emotional volatility in ADHD adults? Especially the angry moments, the ones that hit rapidly? The only solution I've found so far is reducing triggers, but it's impossible to avoid them 100%. Any medications make you feel more level? I found that Adderall actually made me MORE volatile.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Re: Emotional volatility?

Emotional volitility normally goes hand in hand with depression and anxiety. In my case ADHD caused the depression and anxiety. My hubby's far happier with me since we found an antidepressant that works. Perhaps that could help you too. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
(female)

Jasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB User

This is a really good question. I honestly believe that more people experience intense emotional reactions like volatility than we like to admit. In the past, my triggers were any events I perceived to be oppressive or events where I felt I was not in control.

I experimented with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds for years before I realized the root of my intense emotional reactions was anger. Unresolved anger manifested a major depressive disorder and severe anxiety. I didn't even know that I was angry. I denied that part of myself. I feared myself, because impulsivity and emotions was a monster reaction waiting for a trigger.

I eventually got sick from the anti-anxiety meds and was bed-ridden for a year. Although my body was exhausted...my mind and heart was lucid. So, I was forced to pay attention to this mental and emotional discord that I tried so hard to run from and deny every second of every minute of every hour...day in and day out.

Anyway, I started my treatment with Prozac 20 mg and was placed on Klonopin .5 BID about 2 years later. I was also given Xanax, Ambien and whole bunch of other stuff.

Today, I take Cymbalta 60 mg at night and Adderall 20 mg BID. There is a lot that I didn't include in this post. So much internal turmoil behind me. Sometimes I fear a relapse of the hell I endured, but that fear motivates me today more than it paralyzes.

Fear motivates me to be fearless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasmine80 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (05-02-2012), tyb (05-09-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
(female)

I recently switched from a PC to a MAC and I find the switch-over experience is testing my patience. The only reason I switched was because all my friends have a MAC now. Ugh!!! The things I do to fit in !!!

Last edited by Jasmine80; 05-01-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Thanks, guys!

I'm not so sure that depression is the issue for me. It's not like I'm angry all the time, and it almost never takes me more than a few minutes to calm down, it's just when I do get angry, it tends to hit fast and I have trouble controlling myself.

It's possible antidepressants could still help level things out, though. I've had hideous paradoxical reactions to psych meds in the past, which kind of makes me afraid to try again, but I could take some time off of work and see what a pdoc has to offer. There is a good one I've seen in the past.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: janewhite1
Jasmine80 (05-03-2012), Wootton (05-01-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Volatility is what we do for a living. "Dead" may work. Maybe. Not sure.

Bob

Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addprogrammer View Post
Volatility is what we do for a living. "Dead" may work. Maybe. Not sure.

Bob
Yeah, that's kind of what I think. It's just me. My boss told me to quit it, I said I'd try.

Of course, I asked my boss to stop changing deadlines and adding new tasks at the last minute, barring actual emergencies. My workplace likes to manufacture "emergencies," which doesn't make it any easier to stay calm!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

allshewants HB User
Wink Re: Emotional volatility?

Greetings Jane
We are having some of the same situations with our 'MEDS'/Adult Adhd /& or Add.
Unfortunately,i m drug resistant to all anti-depressants.
However i keep trying to no avail. Myself,I HAVE little faith in the AMA, & the US PHARMACEUTICS, the exposure to such neglect,'hush,hush etc still makes me Leary.

However most of my knowledge is RESEARCH! Plus trial and error. My p dr in va is excellent very blessed! Extremely difficult to find one who listens and prescribes different Meds to get and keep me on track.

myself i Did n t start Meds, RITALIN 20mg x 8 days till very late,off/on. Now i m 62.My mom at that time was not willing and not much was known in 1958, so no drugs then..smile

my opinion only, the swings, energy level, the meds while on or off can keep you emotionally distraught

!http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/jester.gif

I recently lost my sister, pat, to cancer on Christmas, i was a basket case I MEAN more so, loll

so i asked to try lithium,300 MG ONCE daily....... no i m not bi polar, it s suppose to help with these swings, i did n t want to go on a psych drug, but i was at the point.

It has helped extremely well, years ago it did not
THE Ritalin helps my depression so , i think, to the degree i m Thur with anti depressants, i take my klonopin 2 mg x 4 daily PRN.
this combo works for me, this month i m trying adderal 30 mg x 4!! AGAIN, AFTER 15 YRS OF RITALIN AND all the rest i m going to try it
well gal stay blessed, hope this helps
ps watch out for the volatility, it happens
hugs sandee/allshewants:} hugs and thanks for your in put

Last edited by Administrator; 05-02-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
(female)

[QUOTE=I found that Adderall actually made me MORE volatile.[/QUOTE]

When I was being treated for chronic anxiety, any instant-release or short-acting medication seemed to traumatize more than help.

I don't know if taking Adderall IR aggravated an already existing anxiety disorder or if taking Adderall IR enabled me to be more conscious of an existing anxiety disorder. Probably both. The instant-release definitely freaked me out.

I didn't respond well to Xanax. I think its a fast acting diazepam. I swear it worsened the anxiety experience. This med worked to quickly alleviate symptoms of mild panic attacks, but as soon as the med wore off I was caught off-gaurd with another attack. I lost all appreciation for the -element of surprise-.

I am no longer required to medicate for panic attacks. Thank goodness! I am attempting to put into words my experience with ADHD and panic attacks, but I am having such a difficult time verbalizing the experience. I hope some of this helps someone in the meantime.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I definitely know what you mean. The regular Adderall meant 4 hours of good brain followed by 8 hours of useless basket case. But the slow-release interfered with sleep.

Back when I was a student, Adderall was actually worth it sometimes, like when I had a paper I just couldn't deal with. Now, with an 8 hour (sometimes longer) workday, it's NOT worth it. (Also work is easier to manage than school was, because I have more freedom in HOW I do things.)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
addprogrammer (05-09-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I definitely know what you mean. The regular Adderall meant 4 hours of good brain followed by 8 hours of useless basket case. But the slow-release interfered with sleep.

Back when I was a student, Adderall was actually worth it sometimes, like when I had a paper I just couldn't deal with. Now, with an 8 hour (sometimes longer) workday, it's NOT worth it. (Also work is easier to manage than school was, because I have more freedom in HOW I do things.)

I don't know much about "good brain" and "basket case brain". While on Adderall, this kind of discomfort and instability is not who I am. I think maybe it's my body fighting the medication because it detects something foreign and the work of my brain is to balance.

In my perfect world there is a pharmacy that freely dispenses STOIC capsules (take as needed) and my ego rests easy. I have to take care not to indulge in this kind of fantasy and false reward system. Its ok to laugh about it, though.

Nowadays, I am beginning to appreciate gravity more than freedom. Sometimes I can't tell up from down and left from right. If I had it my way, I would shift the north and south pole as it suits me. There is a saying about the ocean and how it is turbulent closes to the surface, but always calm beneath.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post

Jane,

I wanted to send you a "Thanks" on the above. Very insightful.

I too experienced 4 hour good brain / 8 hour bad brain on Adderall. I find Vyvanse to be much more transparent, that is, I do not emotionally feel its effects.

I too do much better when I control my environment. "Tell me what to do, not how to do." "How" is critical when working with others. Everyone on a team must speak the same language/protocol. "Why" I've always done much better working alone.

Bob

Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #13
(female)

[QUOTE=I too do much better when I control my environment. "Tell me what to do, not how to do." "How" is critical when working with others. Everyone on a team must speak the same language/protocol. "Why" I've always done much better working alone.[/QUOTE]

I genuinely like all people and I work better alone, too. Sometimes I like to believe that I am a team player, but I have zero tolerance for people who lack personal integrity. I am not perfect, but it sucks when a leader shouldn't be a leader. I don't know how to cope in situations where people are given too much responsibility and unclear delegation of authority...its dysfunctional...and at times it seems no amount of ADHD medication can shut me up. It sucks when people lose their voice and don't speak up, because being bullied might be easier than self-advocacy...and no amount of ADHD medication can help me to bump around in the dark more attentively with grace.

I get that everyone is responsible for intervening on their own unhealthy reactions...but there are people who don't have ADHD and they get away with abusing power in a disorderly way. Emotional volatility isn't always a bad thing...sometimes it could mean that we just need to remember to honor ourselves more.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jasmine,

I get it.

I have no problem speaking up. I am a people person if there has ever been one. I hear people say that they are "private" people. What the hell is a private people? A recluse? Hermit?

I don't want anyone to see my dirty underwear. There are things that should be keep private. No one wants to be or should be totally emotionally naked. There are predators all around us just waiting to find our vulnerability to exploit us. I've found those predators among some of my closest "family and friends." Everyone has the same reality.

No one bullies me. My flight or fight system does not understand the "flight" thing. I am a pilot. That flight is cool.

I discovered the mother of all paradoxes. The same qualities that are our strengths are our weaknesses.

There are many times when flight is the wiser course. Your opponent has you badly out-gunned? Just may be the better course to retreat, analyze, and determine best way to resolve the war. Those times when I clamped my mouth shut, stood back and got myself emotionally detached from the situation, what to do? 9x out 10 - the hell with it. Not worth it. The 10% that need attention is when I am stuck in the relationship.

Bullies are cowards. To date, this approach has been 100% successful - given enough time. I had employer that was making unreasonable demands on me. This case I handled correctly. I confronted the guy with calm-steel. (A new alloy). Boss: I want another report tomorrow. Me: "No." Boss: Tomorrow. Me: Noooo. Another round. Me: "You are NOT getting another report tomorrow." Boss: [Backs off]. I knew I had the upper hand. Me: "You are not going to make unreasonable demands again." Boss: [Lips sealed shut. Face - I want to control you but can't.] He obeyed. Never again.

Please keep in mind this plan of action is not to be used when boss or client is making reasonable demands. Reasonable demands are expectations that we perform as advertised. Use of this plan on reasonable demands gets us fired, sued, and lots of poverty. Not good things.

Across the board, all of my strengths are my weaknesses.

Controlled Volatility Rules.

Jasmine you have been outputting good stuff on this board. Keep it coming. You are helping me.

Bob

Old 05-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
(female)

I think it is so cool how you can convey a message objectively and still have personality.

I have a theory about "private people"...they are usually awkward or up to no good. They go crazy from isolating themselves and get arrested for running around town in their underwear. LOL.

I think I understand your message about practicing temperance and discernment where strengths and weaknesses come into play. The Dalai Lama might be a living example. He has got to be the most socially involved hermit.

Also, Passive-aggression works well when incorporated into a well structured plan for both peacemakers and predators. Without a plan, this tactic is self-destructive especially when fueled by emotional volatility alone.

If I insist on being a rebel...I might as well be one with a cause...unless I enjoy kicking myself repeatedly in the rear.

One challenge that continues to frustrate me is having to re-calibrate with my goals throughout the day. I have to take care not to be too technical, because I end up forgetting about the people I love and I have to take extra care when I am feeling super creative, because I lose sight of the goal. Maybe that is one challenge with one too many sub-challenges attached. Ugh!

I honestly didn't think my adult ADHD was that bad, because I can work long hours with minimal breaks, but then relationships start to crumble and other unmet needs get backed up. The only time I have trouble focusing is when I am required to be technical and empathize with other people at the same time. I can do both well, just not at the same time...if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I am so grateful that my Adult ADHD led me to this message board, because its good for me to know there are others managing adult ADHD well enough to share their experiences co-herently. I am thankful to have crossed cyber-paths with you and Jane. It sounds corny, but its true. I learn more in less time on this site than I do seeing my doctor.

Closed Thread