It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

ivegotadd HB User
Looking for advice from other ADD college kids

Any other ADD kids in college? Or parents, even!

I'm just barely scraping by in college, and that is so not good enough for me! I don't know if it's me or the meds. I can focus most of the time, though I still zone out more than I should, but essays are my worst enemy!!

This is where the Me vs. Meds issue comes in. Papers make me panicky, maybe overly so, and even when I get help I have a hard time processing the instructions.

I know there are a lot of mental issues that go hand in hand with ADD, and sometimes they're even caused by the meds. I'm on Daytrana now, has anyone else ever had bad effects with that??

Again, it's the same problem I know everyone faces: is it me or the ADD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Looking for advice from other ADD college kids

Hi, welcome to our little group.

I was diagnosed while in college, during the second semester of my sophomore year. (Okay, it WOULD have been the second semester if I hadn't flunked out.) I was relieved to be diagnosed, and getting on Dexedrine helped me a lot.

Dexedrine is similar to Vyvanese and Adderall. My pdoc thinks that this family of medicines tends to work better for adults, while what you are taking works better for children. Of course, there are exceptions. Currently, I am not taking ADHD medication.

For all of high school and part of college, essays were my absolute nemesis. I couldn't focus until right before the deadline, and then I'd hammer something out at the last minute.

Do you think it would be helpful to you to get instructions in writing? Do you process the written word better than the spoken word? Are there any forms of writing that are easier for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

ivegotadd HB User

I've been on Daytrana since I was in High School and it's always worked well, but I'm going to ask my doctor about that now.

I do actually get written instructions, and then definitely helps. I'm the same way, I always try to get started ahead of time, but get distracted. No matter what the project, I almost always work better closer to deadline.

Lately, though, something about these essays just freaks me out, just looking at them makes me feel super stressed an overwhelmed.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Working better closer to the deadline is a very normal ADHD thing. And, when you have too much work, it is normal to feel overwhelmed just looking at it!

It might help to talk to an ADHD coach about ways to manage your workload better. I'm now in coaching for the second time in my life and it's helping a lot.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
ivegotadd (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
(female)

ivegotadd HB User

Ok, I'll check into that, thank you so much for your help!!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
(female)

Jasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB User

This might sound silly, but I find that freaking out actually helps me to write better. If I am gonna freak-out anyway I might as well give in to it.

One method that helps me whether I am pumped with nervous energy or my eyes are glazed over is...belting out the Star Spangled Banner (or any song) with all my mind and all my heart. It doesn't matter if you can't sing or don't know all the words. I don't know why, but it works for me.

I do try to be considerate to the people around me so I don't sing with all my might after 9pm and before 6am.

If you don't want too much attention in traffic...don't forget to roll up the windows. LOLOL!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nothing silly about that, Jasmine. Adrenalin has the same effect on the brain as the stimulants used to treat us. In fact, until I was 20 years old, I COULDN'T write without being in a panic. I just couldn't get those papers done.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
(female)

Jasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB UserJasmine80 HB User

Yeah, those panicky moments and adrenaline isn't the best mix...it sucks when I am not skydiving, but instead performing a project that requires me to sit down, shut-up and do the damn thing. It is really uncomfortable when I get a sudden and un-welcomed adrenaline rush, because then I start to fixate too much on details in an attempt to "hold it together' and fixating further distracts me from the discomfort of freaking out. And I end up feeling like crap afterwards for freaking out. Ugh.

When I have too much anxious energy...dancing it off or singing a song helps me to let off excess adrenaline so that I can feel more like me long enough to think clearly for a moment.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jasmine80:
ivegotadd (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
(female)

ivegotadd HB User

Jasmine, thank you so much for your advice!! That actually does help, I've decided dancing around my room helps, too actually I definitely know what you mean about singing in the car, I've been there, too!

Jane, so stimulants (adrenalin, really) are helpful, too? I mean I kind of knew that, but I guess I just get too focused on trying to focus, if that makes sense.

Ok, so here's my new study plan:
-freak out
-jump around like a lunatic
-sing amazing songs at top volume
(find a counselor)
(an ADD counselor!!)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Coaching is not exactly the same as counseling. A counselor is someone with an advanced degree in psychology who helps you with emotional issues. Coaching isn't therapy exactly, it's more focused on practical how-tos.

The latest thing my coach and I have been working on is a good system for weekly and daily to-do lists, for example

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
(female)

ivegotadd HB User

Woops, sorry, got them mixed up!! I think I actually know of a coach, someone that I went to a while back. Did not appreciate it at the time, but now I think is a good time to look back into it.

Closed Thread

Tags
add, add/adhd, college, college success with a learning disability, med side effects