It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

Dollhouse37 HB User
Talking Vyvanese Help!

My 16 yr.old son is on Vyvanese for the past 10months. Despite dosage increases it doesn't seem to be working anymore as far as focusing,impulsivity and concentration in school. What else can he take or will a higher dose help. His grades are poor right now so I can't see keeping him on it. He has tried focalin xr, strattera, patches, concerta already. Pls any advice.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Vyvanese Help!

Maybe he needs a higher dose, maybe he needs a "drug holiday" to reduce tolerance.

Are you using non-drug measures also, such as coaching? The drugs are just a first step for most ADHD kids, they also need to be taught the skills to manage better in school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

Dollhouse37 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Vyvanese Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Maybe he needs a higher dose, maybe he needs a "drug holiday" to reduce tolerance.

Are you using non-drug measures also, such as coaching? The drugs are just a first step for most ADHD kids, they also need to be taught the skills to manage better in school.
He just started a higher dose today but even the pharmacist said it probably won't make a difference. We have done a year of therapy with him. He doesn't want to go anymore. I can't force a 16 yr. old to go. The CST case manager is trying to set up mentors/coaching from school staff that he has connected with in the past to help out. A drug holiday is probably a good idea but not while he is in school. He is really unreachable off the meds. I think his system has just metabolized the meds and has gotten so use to them that they are just not working up to par anymore. I just need a suggestion as to what else he can try. He has tried almost everything I think!

Last edited by Dollhouse37; 05-09-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: grammar corrections

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, ADHD is not "laziness," but schoolwork does require more effort and commitment from ADHD kids than it does from most kids. Maybe right now he's just marking time, maybe he'll be more interested in school in a couple years.

What's he doing this summer? Can he maybe find a job or internship related to something he cares about, preferably something physical and outdoors?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

Dollhouse37 HB User

He is a sophomore. He only has 2 years left of high school. He works part-time at a wholesale club and doing well. He just does not like school work.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, if it were my child, I'd set GRADUATING HS as the minimum bar to pass. Is he in danger of not graduating?

After that, let him work for a while. Maybe after a couple years of hauling boxes around, he'll mature and be ready for more education. I know that when I graduated at 17, I wasn't ready for college. I tried, but it didn't work out.

Life knocked me around some, and at 19, I was much better prepared mentally.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

There are several avenues you can explore: First, is there any underlying sadness, depression, apathy? He may be depressed and could benefit from treatment of that. Does he ever become enraged, or have mood swings from happy to not happy in a matter of hours/days? He might have a mood disorder. Is he taking the Vyvanse with juice or other high vit c foods? If so, the absorption might be affected. Are his problems mostly lack of focus and impulsivity, not hyperactivity? If so, he might benefit from Intuniv, a non-stimulant med instead of a stimulant.

Does he eat a lot of junkie foods, sugar, food dyes, etc? Those can affect thinking. Does he take vitamins? Does the spring pollen affect him? If so, take measures to lessen that (allergy meds/avoidance of high pollen, etc). Is there any chance he's using illicit substances?

Just throwing some stuff out there. My dd is finishing her freshman year, and finally we have found a good combo of things (and I do mean COMBO) that are helping her do her best. The one thing a parent of such kids should never do is stop looking for answers! I just hope you find some!

Hugs!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
(female)

Dollhouse37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post
There are several avenues you can explore: First, is there any underlying sadness, depression, apathy? He may be depressed and could benefit from treatment of that. Does he ever become enraged, or have mood swings from happy to not happy in a matter of hours/days? He might have a mood disorder. Is he taking the Vyvanse with juice or other high vit c foods? If so, the absorption might be affected. Are his problems mostly lack of focus and impulsivity, not hyperactivity? If so, he might benefit from Intuniv, a non-stimulant med instead of a stimulant.

Does he eat a lot of junkie foods, sugar, food dyes, etc? Those can affect thinking. Does he take vitamins? Does the spring pollen affect him? If so, take measures to lessen that (allergy meds/avoidance of high pollen, etc). Is there any chance he's using illicit substances?

Just throwing some stuff out there. My dd is finishing her freshman year, and finally we have found a good combo of things (and I do mean COMBO) that are helping her do her best. The one thing a parent of such kids should never do is stop looking for answers! I just hope you find some!

Hugs!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
(female)

Dollhouse37 HB User

He is already on allergy meds and actually sees an allergist every month. He takes the medication with 1% milk every morning. We tried Intuniv and Strattera. He does eat cookies a lot with milk. He is not involved with drugs, trust me I would know. I'm a snooper and I would find anything. Plus I take his paychecks to the bank. He gets frustrated when it comes to me monitoring his school assignments and contacting the teachers. He feels he can do it all on his own. I've tried, he still doesn't do the work. I'm at a loss. There are times I feel he is moody but I don't think anything unusual. He is a teen boy going through puberty too. I have to allow for some normalcy regarding his behavior. If he could just get the work done at school with no problems.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Wow, that's tough. However, I have a friend who has a daughter with dyslexia and she's currently in a "anything having to do with school is not cool" stage. She's doing the bare minimum to get by at school. Maybe your son is doing something similar.

In any case, the school year is almost done. Summer is always a good time to fiddle with things and try to find something that works. If your son's been on meds for only 10 mos, I seriously doubt he'd need a "holiday." My daughter's been using meds for over 4 years and our doctors have never mentioned the need for that when things get stalled.

Hang in there and good for you for being snoopy! That's part of our jobs!

Closed Thread