It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

teachermom123 HB User
Ritalin

I have a question about Ritalin, my Dr is thinking of putting my son on ritalin due to sever ADHD. He is also diagnosed with a mood disorder. He has never been on a stimulant before because they thought that it might affect his moods. He has been on mood stabilizers but nothing seems to be working.

So now we are going to try Ritalin. He tried a short acting does in the Dr's office and he did fine on it. He said that it made him feel much calmer. The Dr mentioned that the long acting medicine may affect him differently. He did not have a problem coming off the short acting one.

However, I have heard that some kids when they come off the long acting one it really affects them. It is almost like Jeckle/Hyde personality. He is off one of the mood stabilizers but will still be on one when he is to start the Ritalin.

I was just wondering what some others have experienced with their children on Ritalin?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Ritalin

I may not be the best one to answer this question.
My niece has been on concerta for years.
She is now 9. She had problems with mood and emotions, behavior, hyper activity and defiance.
From what I have seen in her is a major improvement.
She also takes guanfacine.
When she the med wears off she is sometimes tired and hungry. My sister makes sure she eats well and has a good routine with bedtime to lessen any moodiness.
(sometimes melatonin helps with bedtime)
She has had med increases when her symptoms seemed to return over the years.
She can actually have a conversation without being extreme in her expressions now.
If for some reason, she forgets to take her meds, the school calls because it's a 360 degree difference.
She is not a zombie, but now more flexible and can reason more appropriately.
I would suggest to start low and go slow.
I have been on Ritalin myself and know of it's calming affects, but too high dose can cause irratitibility.
You may not know the exact effects until he's been on it a couple weeks.

is the mood stablizer a new med or one he's had before?
I wouldn't suggest starting two new meds at once, because it would be hard to tell which one is doing what?
Especially if there's a problem.
finding the right med and dose is a long process, as you know.
my sister works hard keeping a predictable routine to assist my niece to transition and adapt to the daily, weekly grind.

Last edited by LessStress38; 05-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread