It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
(female)

amycar0805 HB User
NEWBIE and How do you know the ADDERAL XR works?

My 12 was just prescribed Adderal XR- I commented to Ped, that my daughter is easily distracted especially with school work. STRUGGLING to pass. Ped asked a few questions and gave us Rx for this add med. She was advertised as an ADHD doc, but is a PCP.

Been taking it for 1 month. We go back every 20 days for refills. Not sure how I will know if it really works....DD did say she feels more alert and does answer more questions in Math and LA.

My question is, how do you know this is the right ADD med and if it works.
I am not at school with dd to notice how she does. I have emailed her teachers and let me know if THEY see a difference, but they have not replied to me in 20 days.....

Received first report since started the med and grades DID come up a bit. 2- A's and 2 C's.....they WERE D's and B's...., but now, we have B's and D's AGAIN....

TODAY (saturday) I gave my dd her medication, mainly to notice how she acts...and she did some chores, COMPLETLY and the day was mostly pleasant...FEW meltdowns (they were minor). She did feel proud that she finished her chores...

She took med in am and by 6, she was running out of energy and not as alert.
Any clues that I should look for?

TY in advance...

Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: NEWBIE and How do you know the ADDERAL XR works?

From what you've told me, it sounds like it DOES work.

When you find the perfect dose of the right medicine, the effects are not huge. When my medicine works just right, I don't feel different, I just feel like Jane having a particularly productive, focused day. You don't find a new kid in the bottle, your kid just gets to push aside some obstacles.

Email the teachers again, ask more about her progress. They have a lot of students, they may just have forgotten to respond. Though if her grades have gone up a whole letter, that's significant.

Yes, it's normal to be tired, frazzled or more distractible as the medicine wears off.

Now, finding the right medicine is step 1 in treating ADHD. Now, she needs training. Luckily, she was diagnosed before even starting high school, this is great news. (I wasn't diagnosed until mid-college, it's a little embarrassing to be 19 years old and have to admit you don't know how to listen to a lecture, write an essay or keep track of your own schedule.)

Ask the doc about non-drug resources, such as coaching. If the doc isn't helpful, you'll have to find your own. But ultimately, she needs structure, ways to help her learn to keep track of things and complete homework. She may need tutoring in some academic subjects. Is she able to get homework done, or is that a struggle also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

amycar0805 HB User

Thanks for the reply. She appears to fo the homework.

We do have issues with stealing...mostly from me.
I need to address this and get her some modification treatments.
I am guessing a shrink?
New to all this....

We see her PCP this week for refill and I will address this.
DD is not likng the idea of addressing the theft, but we need to nip it int he bud, NOW.

She does receive tutoring, and will until school ends next week and we start up again in August.

Gonna be a long summer....

Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Unfortunately, shrinks (psychiatrist MDs) usually just prescribe the medicines. Non-drug treatments are provided by a coach or counselor, though the shrink might refer you to one. There's a difference between those job titles:

A counselor is a licensed psychotherapist with a degree such as Masters of Social Work or Doctorate of Psychology. They do talk therapy, address emotional issues or relationships with others.

A coach may NOT have a psychotherapy license, and they don't really address emotional issues in depth. They talk about practical specifics of day to day life: what you do rather than how you feel. My coach taught me how to keep a day planner and manage my work in college. Currently I'm in coaching again, we meet once a week and discuss everything I have to accomplish and how it'll actually get done.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Jasmine80 (05-13-2012)
Closed Thread