It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 06:19 AM   #1

mom2tyler HB User
Arrow Straterra?sleep aid?

Hi I am a new member here and was very happy to find these boards for support. I have a 7.5 year old son, Tyler, who was diagnosed with ADHD about 7 months ago.

We have tried Ritalin ER, Adderall ER, and are currently on Ritalin 15 mg morning and 10 mg after school. Also the doctor wants us to try the Straterra, with it not being a stim and all so we have been on it for 6 days. Has it done much good for anyone? I have heard a lot of negative things and not too much good. I guess it either works or doesn't and really how long before you started to see results? I am weaning him off the Ritalin.

Also I am wondering if there are any natural ways to aid in sleep (herbal, etc). It is a struggle every night with Tyler going to bed and I am burnt out. Thank You so much for answering my questions.

Mom to 2 Boys and 2 Girls

Old 10-06-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
There are plenty of natural and herbal sleep aids. For some people strattera works well for getting normal sleep patterns. It takes about 2months to work properly and for all the side effects to go away. There is A LOT of good success with strattera!! Its just for some people it works and for some it doesnt, and the negative always gets more publicity ya know.. just like on the news. They show all the bad stuff but leave out the good.

Sleep Aids
Melatonin
Catnip tea
Sleepytime tea
Lavender armoa therapy

------------------
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #3

Apa6 HB User
My cousin put his son on this as well.

I had several side effects while on the medicine, but do not let that keep you from trying it. The best benefit was if I took the medicine before bed I would wake up at the same time every morning fully rested.
Its like it restored my internal clock. When I told my cousin my results, he mentioned that he noticed that his son woke up at the same time to the minute every morning.

Sometimes having more routine in your life can help you get more organized and deal with ADHD better.

You will have to try morning and evening to get the best results.
Good luck.

Old 10-07-2003, 06:22 AM   #4

suzy_Q HB User
My 8 year old son has been on Strattera for six months now. The first week or two there was extreme fatigue and nausea but that all goes away. We saw positive results within a week or two but it took probably a month or two to see all the benefits. Sleep has not been an issue he has always been a good sleeper. This is our first med so I don't have the stimulant experience to compare it to. Good luck to you, give it time, it takes a while but in our case it was definately worth it.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

Lisa'65 HB User
My daughter has recently started taking Strattera. But when she was taking Concerta or Adderall, she could NOT sleep at night. So I gave her either Melatonin (1 mg) or Calms Forte (2 pills); I'd switch back & forth so she'd not get used to one of them. They worked like a charm for her. She'd take her sleeping pills an hr before bedtime. You can get these items at any health food store. Oh, and her doc recommended these items for her insomnia prob due to her ADHD med. Good luck!

Lisa

Closed Thread