It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

RHS HB User
Worried my dr will stop prescribing me my adderall

After years of trying holistic approaches to my ADHD, I finally got an adderall prescription this past January. Besides the fact that I've NEVER been very good about taking medication every day, I also don't like the side effects I get from adderall so I end up taking it only about 22-25 days out of the month (i always skip weekends). At first I was prescribed 40mg (regular, not XR) to take every day. I called after a week to complain about my side effects and my doctor told me that if they didnt go away I could drop the dose and take just 20mg every day. So I did and two months later I called back to have a new prescription mailed to me (I live an hour away). The receptionist didn't ask any questions and just said she'd have the doctor write it for me. When I got the prescription in the mail he had bumped it down to 20mg a day, I guess because he can only prescribe me one month at a time and he knew it had taken 2 months to finish the 40mg dose.

Fast forward, like I said I don't take it every day but I've been getting it mailed to me every month regardless. I got so behind with my pills that it finally got to the point where I didn't fill my May prescription until June. With all the extras that had accumulated I'd forgotten completely to get it filled and the paper prescription had just been sitting on my counter. Anyways, even though I technically just got my prescription from may filled and I should be good until July, I worried that if I didn't call back until July that my doctor would notice it's been two months and bump my dosage down again. So I called the office and asked the receptionist to have the doctor mail me the new prescription "for june" and she said ok, but so far I haven't gotten anything in the mail. Because of the controlled substance monitoring in virginia (which I didn't think about before I called) I feel like maybe the reason I didn't get it is because he wouldn't write it for me when he saw I had just filled a prescription. I am NOT an abuser, obviously, I was just too lazy to talk to the doctor directly and explain to him the situation. I'm really worried now though that the next time I call for a new prescription I'll be in "trouble" with him for that and he wont write me any more.

What should I do in this situation? I've basically dug myself into a hole and it sucks because next month I'm starting my first full time job after graduating college.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

ParanoiaKills HB User
Re: Worried my dr will stop prescribing me my adderall

Relax just exsplain to the doc what happened and talk to them about it. They will probably understand especially if you say you were confused and didn't know what to do. You can even show him the bottles of pills so he/she knows that you weren't abusing it.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

A lot of people don't take Adderall every day. My Pdoc is totally fine with me taking it "as needed" as long as I never take more than the prescribed amount.

Good news is, once I finished school, I found I needed the Adderall much less often. Instead of having to sit in a classroom and listen, I get to actually DO things, and often they are interesting, useful things. All jobs have some tedious parts, but there may be fewer tedious parts at work than at school.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
(female)

RHS HB User

So what should I do? I feel awkward calling the doctor just to explain why I had asked for a prescription when I just filled one. How would you word that? I feel like the nature of their job makes them skeptical of people.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Generally, doctors are suspicious of people asking for dose increases, not for people who want to cut back. But you've met your doctor, I haven't.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
(female)

RHS HB User

That's true, but I'm concerned that by asking for the new prescription the same day I filled one it looked like I wanted more than my dosage. It wasn't ever sent to me so I'm assuming my doctor noticed that and refused to sign a new one for me. I don't know if I'm being clear about what I'm asking but I guess I just want advice on how to go about calling his office and saying "Hi doctor, i asked for a prescription and you didn't write me one because it looked suspicious, but I'm calling to tell you I'm not an abuser and I want to make sure you'll still write me prescriptions in the future."

Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

They track controlled substances, but I doubt your doctor knows exactly when you filled the prior script. We just don't have a monitoring system that good!

I think it's more likely that your meds just got lost in the shuffling of the masses of paperwork that fill every doctor's office I've ever seen. I can't count the number of times I've left a message for a doctor and never heard anything back at all! (And once I got a message from a doctor intended for someone else, that was weird.)

For now, you have the medicine. Can you make an appointment to straighten it out in person?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
(female)

ParanoiaKills HB User

I have generally found most docs to be careful with perscriptions but not unreasonable. I stopped taking meds now but when I used to I asked for a sleeping med they gave to me and it didn't work they had no problem giving me a different one which I could easily abuse with the first. Say something like this "I understand that adderall is a controlled substance so I would just like to exsplain that the reason why I asked for a perscription is because"...and exsplain what you said in the poste. You can also tell them they can drug test you to show that you dont have high levels of amphetamine (adderall) in your system and this will make them believe you a lot more. They wanted to drug test me once because my counselor told them I abused the meds (which I did) and I refused to take the test even though it was long after I took the meds because I was angery they found out. Like I said most docs will believe you if you tell them the truth. They stop believing you if you keep asking and have a recorded of drug abuse this is when they get concerned.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

You really need to speak with your doctor, as was said earlier. I myself find my doctor way more accomodating than my insurance company. I have to get my Adderall refilled this week, and even though I have a prior auth-they still give me headaches. They will only cover Strattera, good luck.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

My pdoc writes me a prescription of Adderall for 90 days that lasts me a year! They know I don't take 2 a day like the prescription states, I only take 3 or 4 a week. I don't like taking them on weekends either.

The pdoc knows I don't use all of them in the 90 days, will he and I get in trouble for this?

Closed Thread