It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #1

luckygirl3 HB User
Question Does Adderall XR make you tired?

I am taking 30 to 40 mg of adderall xr in the moring. I have only been using it for about 2 weeks. In any case it is starting to make me tired? Will this pass? Focus is good - lethargic is not.
Is there an antidote?
Thanks for any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 11:20 PM   #2

firebug31 HB User
Cool

hey luckygirl I have been on ADderal XR for just agbout a month and have not had any problems being tried. I switched from Strattera which did make me very tired. So far I am having good results as much as you can tell in one month. It's hard to say in shuch a short time but I feel it is working for my attentivness. I seem to be getting task completed and will definetly keep trying it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2003, 06:34 AM   #3

howridiculous HB User
Maybe your dosage is too high. Check with your doctor.

Old 06-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #4

swengineer HB User

Just curious. How are you taking 30-40mg? Adderall XR comes in 10, 15, 20, and 30mg doses. Do you have more than one dosage? IE : 30mg and 10mg, or are you taking the non XR? If you are taking XR in 40mg, it must be two 20mg, one 30+10, or two 15mg+10mg.

I've been taking Adderal XR for two months now. I started at 20mg and the first two weeks I felt like I was on speed. My focus and concentation was great. After about 2 weeks, the "speed" feeling has completely gone away, but my focus and attention is still there (Thank god!)

I'm surprised that it would make you tired.. When you first took it (The first day) did you feel extreamly motovated?

Old 06-30-2003, 11:44 AM   #5

luckygirl3 HB User
I took a 30mg and 10mg of the XR in the morning. I think the 30 is enough. Every metabolizes it differently I hear so maybe that is my problem. I do get the focus but it wears off so fast. I wish it had the get up and go for me that the Concerta did. I felt tired when the XR would wear off completely and in the evening I am spent.
Questions for you:
Do you feel groggier in the morning since you have been taking it?
Did you ever take the regular Adderall. (If all that is in your original e-mail sorry - I will re-read.)Thanks for the reponse.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:42 PM   #6

chicketie04 HB User
I find if i take Adderall XR late morning i tend to focus better and tend to get more stuff done vs taking the meds early morning like you are supposed to take it early morning, but i cant b/c i will either lost site of focusing and not pay attention and jsut easily be tuned out of things and do other things i am not even aware i am doing them. take care and wish u the best of luck!!

Old 07-14-2003, 07:08 PM   #7

firebug31 HB User
I have been on XR for one month now and just went up to 20mg from 10. I was having trouble with it wearing off. Worked great during the day but whenI got home and needed it the most it was gone.

Have either of you experienced this and did higher doses help that?

THanks

Old 07-15-2003, 10:04 AM   #8

luckygirl3 HB User
I am taking 30 mgs of the XR in the morning. I went up progressively as I found it does wear off and it was not that effective at the lower dosage. As people seem to say on the boards "Everyone is different," but I imagine there are some general experiences. I started to take 10mgs XR in the afternoon but I did not like it. I felt a little spacier. My doctor thinks that using the regular Adderal might work as a sufficient boost in the afternoon and counter act it wearing off while also not ending up in any of the extended release from preventing me from getting to sleep. What I do not like is that I am very groggy in the morning. I feel like the Adderal is becoming my morning coffee. That is not what I need it for.
Keep in touch I will be interested to hear your experience as I am a new user myself.

Old 07-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

Maria8804 HB User
Adderall wears off sooner and sooner the longer you take it. I've seen patients who start with 30 mg Adderall XR, and for the first 2 days it lasts the full 8-12 hours. By the end of the second week, it's only lasting 4 hours, and by the end of the first month on the drug, it only lasts 1-2 hours. They feel very tired after the drug wears off, because Adderall is speed, to put it bluntly. Adderall makes your heart, lungs, muscles, basically your whole body--work harder for the time that it is working. After it wears off, your body is more fatigued than it would have been had you never taken the drug. This is the "crash" people experience after being under the influence of stimulants for any length of time. Example: someone may continuously use crank (an amphetamine, frighteningly similar to Adderall) for 30 hours. After the 30 hours, they may sleep for 30 hours, ("crash") because their body is so worn out from being "up".

This may explain some of the fatigue you all are feeling. Even if you don't feel "high" or "speedy", Adderall is a stimulant and does stimulate your body. After your body is done "running on high gear", it's bound to feel tired.

Maria

Old 07-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #10

firebug31 HB User
Well luckygirl

So far pretty good for me. I seems to be doing well with the Adderal XR 20mg it's been oh 10 days or so. I do feel like I am covered better for the day time wise. Will keep posting.

Maria just curious, are you ADD? and do you take meds for it?

Old 08-08-2003, 05:13 PM   #11

djuanadd HB User
I guess my reaction to Adderall is slow compared to the rest you on this site. I started out on 10mg generic (non-XR) for one month, then was put on 20MG XR for 6 months. I am now thinking of upping the dose because it has started to lose its effectiveness, when compared to the way it was when I first took it; however, it still does miracles for my studying. I am curious how long it will work on a higher dose, and what happens when I "max it out?" Are there good alternatives to Adderall that I could switch to at that time? Is it safe to only take it a few times a week, when I really need it, instead of taking it every day? How bad would it be to take two? Thanks for your input folks

Also, I wanted to make a comment to the people that are anti-adderall. I used to be a big preacher on how close it was to drugs and how bad it "must" be for our kids. But after trying to figure out why I was having such a hard time in school, I decided to try it. Now, I wish I had been put on this stuff in high school! It has made an incredible difference in my life. If you don't need it, don't take it. If you think something is wrong with you when you try to focus, try it. It can be the difference between night and day.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #12

interject79 HB User
Actually Maria isn't very far off. Adderall XR is very gentle for the most part, but it does have a powerful stimulatory effect on the central nervous system. After it wears off, you're going to be tired and irritable as the body copes. That doesn't mean one shouldn't take it, though...far from it (and I don't think Maria meant that either).

Most pdocs will discuss techniques for dealing with withdrawal symptoms. They might involve taking an afternoon immediate-release Adderall or even Ritalin. I've also heard of taking Wellbutrin for this. Some (probably most) don't experience a very pronounced withdrawal at all. This is likely due to their unique biochemistry.

I'm interested in whether those who do have bad withdarawal symptoms (I do) also have acid indigestion a lot or are lactose intolerant? Theory says that things which raise one's stomach pH should also raise absorption of Adderall XR, which makes it last longer and reduces withdrawal. OTC baking soda is one such product. Zantac is another. But this should be discussed with a Dr. It is best to be on the safe side though and avoid fruit juices and other acidifying agents.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Old 08-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #13

SOBEIT HB User
Unhappy

I have been on Adderal for years .. I am having a lot of trouble stopping it has anyone else tried to stop that was on it a long time

Old 09-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #14

gotadd HB User
Exclamation

Actually motherof2, MariaMarchita's comment's were more than accurate. Adderall is an extremely addicting drug. Adderall was like speed for me, and when my doses started to wear off I began taking more and more to the point where I was staying awake for 5 and 6 days at a time, I lost 30lbs. I didn't need to be losing, I developed substance induced psychosis, need I continue? So I went into a drug treatment center and stayed there for 4 months. Your use of the term "drug addict" makes me wonder if you know anything at all about addiction. There are a plethera of people all around you that suffer from addiction of some kind. You don't have to be a bum on the street to have a drug problem. In fact, studies now are saying that children with ADD/ADHD are more likely to become addicts b/c they say that ADD may be an early symptom. Be more sympathetic to what you hear and say, and also be weary about what you may be giving your child, b/c I've been there and it's not a fun place to be.

------------------
One day at a time...

Old 09-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #15

TrixysSis HB User
Aderrall....
I have moments of the day when i LOVE it, and at the end of the day i feel down and upset...then comes the part where i cant sleep, and i'm burping , and the next day i cant get out of bed.

Its a rollercoaster somewhat...a cycle. For the first time I am able to concentrate, focus, study, take an INTEREST in school.

I thought I was slow..I got held back in 1st grade and had a horrible time in school. Now I am 24, was finally diagnosed a year ago, and returned to college, and am learning SO much, so quick.

So its a toss up. I choose to stay w/ it and try to find ways around the side effects. I'm going to start working out again, get healthier, and see how it goes.

Closed Thread