It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 01:51 PM   #1

joint custody and ADHD HB User
Question Need Help with son who is ADHD and Joint Custody

My son is ADHD. I have Joint Custody with his father and our schedule is one week and one week. This is very tough to get on a regular schedule. His father does not give him his medication on a regular basis. He is currently on 36mg of Concerta. At our last visit the doctor was suggesting 48mg of Concerta and his father is against it. I am currently trying to get our custody changed. Has anyone been in the same situation? I need as much help as I can get. This has been going on now for 9years and we can not agree on anything. Joint Custody is not working!!! Both of my children are suffering. HELP!!!

Old 10-13-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi, I just thought I would let you know that we have similar problems in our family. I haven't found much of a solution. Ours isn't a joint custody issue, we simply allow my nephew to visit his paternal grandparents on weekends, summers, and holidays to maintain those relationships. They don't keep him on any kind of schedule and they try to talk him out of taking his meds. He comes home an emotional wreck. His first morning is h**l. Since they never see him on days when he has any responsibilities, they don't empathize at all.

I would think it would be different for your ex since he sees him when he has to actually function. Does he not understand that he responds better on a schedule? Would your son need the dosage increase if he did have a more set schedule? Routine helps so much with the meds and with ADHD. I would also think you would have some leverage since this is a medical condition and there are custody issues. If he doesn't want to follow doctor's orders, maybe his custody status could be reconsidered.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User
Hi,

My x was not involved with the decission to place my daughter on meds. He thought it was all in my head and my parenting skills. Like talking to a wall...

Anyway... Speak to his Dr. see if he could split the Rx. The lower dosage for Dad's week and the higher dosage when he's in your care. I know several people who take a lighter dosage on weekends.

Don't know if that helps - but it's the only thing I could think of...

Love and light.

Lisa and Kids

Old 10-19-2003, 12:18 AM   #4

adhdmomma HB User
adhd kids need routine.

Old 10-19-2003, 04:44 AM   #5

ss1971 HB User
i agree they need routine. if your ex is denying meds he could be 'neglecting' the child. But how can he deal with the child who is not medicated?? doesnt it drive him nuts? good luck to you. and from my experience, keep notes / journal and try to get sole custody. joint custody is no good.

Old 10-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #6

cymomtx HB User
How old is your son? Depending on his age he should have some influence on his father regarding his medicine. Does you son realize that the meds help him? If so he needs to take responsibility for taking them and talking to his dad about wanting to take them.

Closed Thread