It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

Hustlerose HB User
I'm not sure if the adderall XR dose is right for me

Hello,

So I've been recently diagnosed with ADHD combined type. I'm 36 and I always knew it. Doctors in the past just tried to ignore it. They said it was probably depression and always gave me antidepressants, which never worked for my focus. Finally, I had someone listen to me. I have 3 kids with ADHD. They got it from somewhere, hah. They started me on 10mg IR twice a day. I felt relaxed and slept better, but not all that focused. It was running out after 2-3 hours. By the time 6 pm came, I was an irritable grouch and felt like I needed a glass of wine to relax. So my doctor switched me to 20mg XR in the am and 10mg IR around 4-5. Some days I feel more focused, but not quite still. Some days I feel more tired. Some days I have a little more energy. Overall I feel pretty relaxed and that I've slowed down a lot. But I'm still not sure what I should be feeling. I guess I'm wondering if it's not strong enough, due to lack of focus and the inability to be less distracted. Plus, it makes me feel a little down sometimes and other days I feel super social. Will I know when the dose is right? This is only my first med. I have to stay on this for 3 weeks and then report back. I would appreciate any help/advice. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I'm not sure if the adderall XR dose is right for me

The best dose shouldn't be a drastic change, it should just help you be more focused and productive. Don't look so much at how you're feeling, look at what you are accomplishing. Have you gotten more done since starting on the Adderall?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

Hustlerose HB User

I am a little more productive. Still can't read for more than 20 mins and I'm still fidgety.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You could ask your doctor about trying a slightly higher dose. If it makes you very jittery or wired, or preventing you from sleeping, then it's too high.

Of course, medication is just the beginning of treating ADHD. You will also need to LEARN how to pay attention. Check into coaching for ADHD. It's not the same as counseling, it's when someone works with you one-on-one to help accomplish concrete goals, such as keeping the house cleaner.

Closed Thread