It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
(male)

Yarko HB User
Adderall vs Ritalin vs Vyvanse

Ive been on Adderall IR (40-60mg if needed) for two years now. It's been a godsend to say the least. I grew up starting dozens of projects at a time and finishing none of them. Now, I finish almost everything I start. I am half way through my shooting my first documentary film and I am starting the music composition phase for the film score. I've been able to do these things before but always got sidetracked and hated what i had started so I would chuck it and start from scratch. For twenty years I've been starting from scratch! Then came the darkness in the form of depression because I felt like a failure. I was diagnosed with Bipolar initially but the doctor told me to take some test. After that he said...

"Try this!" So I did, and the Adderall worked. Problem solved. But my question is this: does anyone experience agitation that comes out of nowhere while they are taking Adderall even on a strict dosing schedule? Just willy-nilly bouts where you don't understand how people around you could be so ignorant and stupid? I know they aren't stupid but my brain keeps shouting "get away from this ignoramus before you catch what he's got!"

It's ridiculous, really. These are people I love. But lately it's gotten worse. I get tense and I dont want to be around anyone. I just want to work on my music or film or read a book. Initially, Adderall squashed my inhibition and I was much more social than ever before. But lately, it's lost that effect. People are becoming a burden again. Bear in mind, I am also in therapy and it's working wonders but I'm just frustrated as hell that I can't get a handle on this.

Has anyone tried all of the Big Three and had any success with one or the other? My doctor prescribed Adderall because his specialty is Methamphetamine abuse treatment so he feels more comfortable doling that out - which I appreciate. He seems reluctant to switch even with the side effects I mentioned.

I just interested in hearing how Ritalin and Vyvanse work for others. Thanks for your time guys!

- Yarko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

Kelly2014 HB UserKelly2014 HB User
Re: Adderall vs Ritalin vs Vyvanse

I used to take adderall 30 mg but I had a very hard time falling asleep at night and I would get agitated when it wore off in the evening. Recently I switched to concerta (Ritalin) ext release and it much better. It still helps me concentrate but it doesn't wind u up so much. I have never tried vivanse though as I am content with the concerta. I have heard mixed reviews from people.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly2014 For This Useful Post:
Yarko (07-22-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
(male)

Yarko HB User

Thanks, Kelly! Good to know I'm not the only one who got agitated in the evening. Sleep? I could even live without that. I just hate the anxiousness.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
(female)

mamaduck123 HB User

Ok, so I've been on all of the meds you listed at one time or another. I'm no expert, but you and I sound alot alike in the way the Adderall made me feel very social and happy in the beginning but hasn't had that affect for quite some time. I started out on 10mg IR Adderall and then slowly moved up over the last couple of years to 20mg, then 30mg, then 50mg. Then the shortage happened and I did Adderall XR, then Concerta (made me depressed and agitated instantly), then Ritalin (same as Concerta), then Focalin IR, which worked relatively the same as the Adderall IR but with a much lower allowable daily dose, and now I'm back to Adderall IR, but 60mg per day. I have been off the Adderall for some months and this month is the first back on. I still notice it doesn't give me a completely heightened mood, but once I hit the last 20mg pill of the day the terrible irritation and hating to be bothered by people and wanting to just do my own thing kicks in. It's awful because I have two kids under 10 that definitely need me in the evenings to be sane and not snap their poor heads off. I think it's just that last dose putting me over the edge, because even though they are short acting, they may still linger or some effect may still linger that gets more med added on top of. Just a theory.

The Following User Says Thank You to mamaduck123 For This Useful Post:
Yarko (07-22-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

Ya it definitely depends on your own brain chemistry, what type of work you do, and how bad your ADD/ADHD is. If I decided to go to go to law school for instance I would probably go back to the adderall. Running/cardio really helps. In college when I was taking the adderall I would work out twice a day, once in the morning and evening, running about 5 miles a day on average. It really took the edge off the adderall.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly2014 For This Useful Post:
Yarko (07-22-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
(male)

Yarko HB User

Thank you guys! Sorry it's been a bit since I've been able to read your insightful replies. Here's the update: I am currently on day two of a Ritalin regimen. 20mg 3x a day (the third only if needed). I am finding that I need the third so far. It's hard to document after only two days (considering placebo and low expectations but high hopes). The overriding factor that my doctor considered was that, without insurance, I was paying $129 for the generic amphetamine salts. I am only paying $26 for the Ritalin (same dosage). That alone was enough to push him over the precipice in allowing me to switch. I really need this to work!

Forgive the lost post, by the way, I just had my third dose. :P

Any consistency in mood and focus for the last 48 hours lies in the feeling that I am able to pay attention but I don't feel as productive. However, I feel like I am able to be more deliberate and not as rushed to beat the Clock of Life. After an Adderall dose, I felt like Superman (or more aptly, that I could be him if I tried and should work hard to keep up with that notion). I was producing things right and left but found I had to go back and fix things I over-looked and then apologize to the people I hurt in the mad dash to meet the self-imposed quota required if one is to remain ‹bermensch. I loved the speed! Loved the drive. And lusted after the accolades one throws at you when you can finish six days of work in 6 hours.

But I was getting tired of the burn-out and my body resented the incessant runs of sleep-dodging. Even as I type this, I find I am not chastising myself for having to go back and fix those words with the little squiggly, red underline that scream "you're an idiot for not knowing how to spell "tired" for Christ-sake!".

Ritalin, seems to be working so far. But I have to admit that when my 13-year-old nephew came up to me today and said, "Uncle, it seems like you're back to the uncle I knew when we took our trip to Israel - welcome back!" That brought me to tears I must admit - though they were tears I didn't allow him to see. Then some sadness crept in. But I can deal with that I think.

I can't get over this feeling now that I am sacrificing productivity for the sake of my family and friends. Maybe it's better that way. I'll keep you up to date. Thank you,everyone, for your replies. It helps a lot.

-Yarko

Last edited by Yarko; 07-15-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
(male)

Yarko HB User

Thank you guys! Sorry it's been a bit since I've been able to read your insightful replies. Here's the update: I am currently on day two of a Ritalin regimen. 20mg 3x a day (the third only if needed). I am finding that I need the third so far. It's hard to document after only two days (considering placebo and low expectations but high hopes). The overriding factor that my doctor considered was that, without insurance, I was paying $129 for the generic amphetamine salts. I am only paying $26 for the Ritalin (same dosage). That alone was enough to push him over the precipice in allowing me to switch. I really need this to work!

Forgive the lost post, by the way, I just had my third dose. :P

Any consistency in mood and focus for the last 48 hours lies in the feeling that I am able to pay attention but I don't feel as productive. However, I feel like I am able to be more deliberate and not as rushed to beat the Clock of Life. After an Adderall dose, I felt like Superman (or more aptly, that I could be him if I tried and should work hard to keep up with that notion). I was producing things right and left but found I had to go back and fix things I over-looked and then apologize to the people I hurt in the mad dash to meet the self-imposed quota required if one is to remain ‹bermensch. I loved the speed! Loved the drive. And lusted after the accolades one throws at you when you can finish six days of work in 6 hours.

But I was getting tired of the burn-out and my body resented the incessant runs of sleep-dodging. Even as I type this, I find I am not chastising myself for having to go back and fix those words with the little squiggly, red underline that scream "you're an idiot for not knowing how to spell "tired" for Christ-sake!".

Ritalin, seems to be working so far. But I have to admit that when my 13-year-old nephew came up to me today and said, "Uncle, it seems like you're back to the uncle I knew when we took our trip to Israel - welcome back!" That brought me to tears I must admit - though they were tears I didn't allow him to see. Then some sadness crept in. But I can deal with that I think.

I can't get over this feeling now that I am sacrificing productivity for the sake of my family and friends. Maybe it's better that way. I'll keep you up to date. Thank you,everyone, for your replies. It helps a lot.

-Yarko

Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
(female)

Haha
I had the same experience only I think my productivity might have actually increased at work with the concerta. I also feel more normal like I can fit in with all the slackers if I chose to do so on any given day. Granted I don't feel like superman anymore in the mornings but then i also dont feel like a addict going through a withdrawal at the end of the day. I make way less mistakes so the overall product is better in my opinion. My boss still calls me the machine. It's only slightly embarrassing...

Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
(female)

rpwalker HB User

I experiance the aggitation with all three. I'm using coconut oil and tumeric and exercise now. I found myself annoyed with people closest to me and tired.

The Following User Says Thank You to rpwalker For This Useful Post:
Yarko (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
(male)

Yarko HB User

Thanks you guys! I think taking 20mg every three hours and topping off around 5PM with 10mg might be working. I think my doc will be alright updating the scrip. I had a pain in the back of my head for about three days but it went away. Still a bit melancholy from time to time but such is life I suppose.

Closed Thread