It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

jeanjaures HB User
Do i have ADHD?

I'm sure this question seems a bit redundant on this sort of message board but I could really use some guidance.

I have struggled for years with 'easy distractibility' I guess you could call it. It's very difficult to describe. I commit myself to multiple tasks, take on too much and inevitably crash, burn and never touch those projects again. I have extremely high aspirations and consider myself a very ambitious individual. However, it is extremely difficult to focus on one thing at a time. For example, I cannot, without agitation, work on my computer without something else to distract my attention be it television or food. As you might imagine, this makes completing simple tasks all the more difficult.

I simply cannot commit myself to focus on one thing at a time. I am only a college student but even at this point in my life this 'distractibility' has created issues for me academically and socially.

Does this sound like ADHD or something else?
Any insight is appreciated

Thank you!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Do i have ADHD?

That sounds a lot like ADHD. I would make an appointment for testing. Ideally you want to see a psychiatrist who treats adult ADHD a lot, but if you have a family doctor you trust, that would be a good place to start.

The good news is, if you have ADHD, there are medications that can help. The bad news is, it is a lifelong problem, and the medicines will only help, not erase it entirely. There are non-drug techniques that can help. In your case, pacing seems like a good start. Taking on manageable tasks, and finishing them.

Believe me, I get it. I set unrealistic goals sometimes, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread