It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

katsiebug HB User
Ambien, Adderall & Citalopram for ADD

I was recently diagnosed with adult A.D.D. I didn't have insurance at first, so I saw a Dr who prescribed me Adderall XR 10 mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg for the mood swings and emotional issues that are associated with A.D.D. I had to stop taking the Adderall because it was too expensive, but continued with the Wellbutrin because I liked how it evened out my moods and kept me from being so pissy all the time. About a month ago I started noticing that it wasn't working as well, and so when I just recently got insurance through my work, I changed Dr's and told her that I wasn't thrilled with the Wellbutrin, she switched me to Citalopram 20mg. She also prescribed Adderall XR 20 mg. The first three days I took the two pills at 10 am and no matter how tired I was I couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. I work at 6 so this is kind of a problem...So I called my Dr to let her know and she prescribed me Ambien. Any thoughts on all of this? I was more interested in an OTC sleep solution since I would prefer not to have to take something prescription just to sleep....

Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Ambien, Adderall & Citalopram for ADD

Instead of adding Ambien or any other sleep aid, why not just ask the doctor for a lower dose of Adderall, or a non-XR version, so it wears off before bedtime?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
(female)

chaosmom HB User

I am new to this board. So sorry if you already tried this. Could you take the adderall xr earlier than 10am? That way it would be out of your system earlier? I wish I could try a extended release but with no health insurance I can't afford it right now. I am taking instant release Ritalin 30mg 3 times a day and it only lasts about 2 hours. When it starts to wear off I get a horrible headache. My husband says it also makes me cranky and irritable!
It also makes me tired, I can lay down and go to sleep a hour after taking it.

As for a good sleep aid that is OTC and all natural...have you tried melatonin? It is a substance our bodies already make. My son takes vyvanse and melatonin is safe to take. Vyvanse is adderall based, so maybe ask your doctor. I know he can take up to 10mg per night.

Hopefully you get some good sleep!

Sorry I wrote a book!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

katsiebug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmom View Post
I am new to this board. So sorry if you already tried this. Could you take the adderall xr earlier than 10am? That way it would be out of your system earlier? I wish I could try a extended release but with no health insurance I can't afford it right now. I am taking instant release Ritalin 30mg 3 times a day and it only lasts about 2 hours. When it starts to wear off I get a horrible headache. My husband says it also makes me cranky and irritable!
It also makes me tired, I can lay down and go to sleep a hour after taking it.

As for a good sleep aid that is OTC and all natural...have you tried melatonin? It is a substance our bodies already make. My son takes vyvanse and melatonin is safe to take. Vyvanse is adderall based, so maybe ask your doctor. I know he can take up to 10mg per night.

Hopefully you get some good sleep!

Sorry I wrote a book!
Thanks for your reply! I tried taking the Adderall XR earlier as well as the citalopram and still either couldn't fall asleep or woke up multiple times through the night...I will ask my Dr about Melatonin....I am not sure if the Adderall is even working well for my add...

Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
(female)

mamaduck123 HB User

Chaosmom, I had the same issues with Ritalin. I had taken the short acting Adderall for years and it was a miracle. Then when the shortage happened I switched. Awful. If you cant go on Adderall, you could ask to try Focalin. It's similar to Adderall in that you don't get the moodiness and such. I have used it and it works pretty well.

Katsiebug, you really do need to take the Adderall earlier in the day, and maybe you just don't need 20mg per day. A short acting may be better too. My daughter takes Vyvansse which is also XR and she has to take meds to sleep. As for myself, I never had much trouble sleeping if I didn't take any doses later than around noon or a little after. I had a prescription for Xanax for years and would take a quarter of one if I needed a little help sleeping. Then a new doctor decided it was "addictive" and switched me to Ambien. I hate it, it knocks me out, and you learn quickly that you have to already be laying in bed when you take it otherwise you won't remember how you got there! Now I just take an occasional Benadryl if I need sleep.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

avidsport HB User
Talking Re: Ambien, Adderall & Citalopram for ADD

Hi! Oh Boy,... I could write a book on the medicine cocktail you are on. I was on Ambien, Adderall and celexa for 15 years and know exactly what you are and will experience. I started adjusting my dosage times with adderall to 7am and I still had trouble sleeping. Everybody's metabolism is different. The dangerous part of the cocktail is the ambien. It just about destroyed me, and it affected every part of my personal and professional life. I felt like I must have the ADD medicine BUT sleep was crucial and precious. It became a vicious cycle. Celexa was the least of my worries although I cried easily and I was very sensitive at 20mgs and then was prescribed 40 mgs. I suggest taking adderall "vacations" often and to try to find alternatives to Ambien. Xanax, clonazapam, ativan may be options. I will look thru my old journals to see if I find more insights as to what helped me thru. Good luck - and becareful of restless legs starting. avidsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsiebug View Post
I was recently diagnosed with adult A.D.D. I didn't have insurance at first, so I saw a Dr who prescribed me Adderall XR 10 mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg for the mood swings and emotional issues that are associated with A.D.D. I had to stop taking the Adderall because it was too expensive, but continued with the Wellbutrin because I liked how it evened out my moods and kept me from being so pissy all the time. About a month ago I started noticing that it wasn't working as well, and so when I just recently got insurance through my work, I changed Dr's and told her that I wasn't thrilled with the Wellbutrin, she switched me to Citalopram 20mg. She also prescribed Adderall XR 20 mg. The first three days I took the two pills at 10 am and no matter how tired I was I couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. I work at 6 so this is kind of a problem...So I called my Dr to let her know and she prescribed me Ambien. Any thoughts on all of this? I was more interested in an OTC sleep solution since I would prefer not to have to take something prescription just to sleep....

Closed Thread

Tags
add/adhd, adderall xr, ambien, citalopram