It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
(female)

lwalson14 HB User
Exclamation Adderall

I do not have narcolepsy, but I recently was perscribed to adderall because all I wanted to do was sleeps. I had no motivation and couldn't focus in school. Adderall has helped a lot, but I am still always tired. It is not as bad as it used to be. I have researched all about adderall, and its side affect is insomnia. I just don't understand how I can take 20mg of Adderall and take a 3 hour nap right after?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Adderall

Have you had any testing done to see if you have any reason for the excess sleepiness? I would suggest thyroid tests and kidney function tests (both blood). Depression can cause the desire to sleep excessively as well as sleep apnea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
(male)

Rorer714 HB User

lwalson14,
I agree with Ladybug. If it is not your Thyroid levels, out of balance, such as having hypothyroidism, IMHO, "Depression" is what I was thinking. Is the 20 mg of Adderall the
Instant Release (original formulation) you are taking? I have Depression along with another dx of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. When my Dysthymia, (unrelenting low grade depression of a two year minimum) raises its ugly head, and, "something in my life triggers my mood to "gloom and doom".......I have experienced a "Double Depression" meaning a "Major Depressive Episode" overlapping, a ongoing Dysthymia. A major depressive episode, shuts most people down, to where it is very, very difficult to function, and maintain independent living. The minimum time for symptoms for Major Depression, is two weeks, without any relief.
you can google up what the Major Depression symptoms are, on the internet easily, as it is in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual (DSM-IV), used by Psychiatrist's and other mental health professionals.
I have been on methyphenidate, since 1994, then, amphetamines, primarily, Dexedrine and Adderall, since 1997, and, I just had my 18th year birthday, on meds for ADD, as I am, over 60 years old now. I can't focus, and, am shut down, without it, but, after all of these years, it only effects me like a Starbucks Grande Latte. (meaning, in the AM hrs, it takes, 90 minutes, on a empty stomach, to "wake up", and, my body has long ago adjusted to this med. If I self medicate, (I do not reccommend this, all I experience, is,
getting high strung, as it then kicks in my Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and, that is not a pleasant feeling. I often underdose, the Adderall, just because of this. If I abstain, I often sleep 12 hours a day, easily, and have amotivational syndrome. I am 205 lbs and am 6'1", and, my comfort zone on Adderall is 30 to 35 mg total per day. If I go higher up,
on the milligrams, the anxiety, increases, and, then the side effects are not worth it to me, or I have to resort to a antihypertensive med, like Inderal or Corgard, or, a benzo, like Klonopin, if I dose up too high, or drink too much caffinated coffee. IMHO, there is a lot of difference in the choices of stimulants, I would concur with my M.D. to see what he thinks. Have you had a full physical examination with a blood profile, in the past 12 months? I have a physical exam every year, since I reached my mid-40's.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
(female)

hurleymom03 HB User

Try getting your B12 checked... My husband has the same problem. But usually when its low he gets shot and is back to his normal self within a couple of days

Old 07-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

mamaduck123 HB User

I will add another thought; if you go and have a full physical you can have them check so many things with just a blood pannel. I went through a major depressive episode a few years back and just didn't seem to come out of it like I should have after the normal couple of weeks or so. It happened that it was time for my yearly checkup and when I went, they found I had severe iron deficient anemia. It explained why I couldn't function at all and why I just wanted to lay on the couch and sleep. I spent 7 hours at the cancer and hematology center getting an iron infusion (drips just like an IV). Afterwards I felt like a new person!

Closed Thread