It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

hwc2020 HB User
Son with adhd and now nervous tics?

My 10 yo was diagnosed with mild adhd 2 years ago. Two evaluations came out negative. The one requested by his school came out mild. We don't want to medicate. School strongly suggested it. Our son has been on lowest dosage of Concerta. We took him off for summer but now he is doing these nervous things where he has to touch things twice, turn around and look behind him, first to the left, then to the right, touch his elbows. My question is: Is this part of adhd/anxiety? Or does anyone know if this medication can be doing this? He's been off them since June 12th. Sorry this is so long. Also wondering if anxiety can mimic adhd? I think he has stress/anxiety. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Son with adhd and now nervous tics?

Concerta can cause tics, although it isn't very common. That doesn't sound like an actual tic, though, more like just a nervous habit.

Yes, anxiety can cause trouble concentrating. One important question is, are his ADHD-like behaviors new, or have they always been there? ADHD is either inborn or develops very early in childhood, although it's tough to diagnose before age 6.

What are his biggest problems in school?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
(female)

hwc2020 HB User

Thank you so much for responding to me. I really appreciate that. His biggest issues at school are not paying attention, being 'unavailable' as the teacher's say, if he doesn't take medication. We also have to tell him to do things several times, every time. He is a good kid, wants to do good work and is very sweet. I think he really can't control the not listening and then gets yelled at and seems hurt. Stuff like that.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings HWC2020! In my opinion sugar can cause anxiety. It is said that streptococcus can cause certain behaviours that are odd. Sugar feeds streptococcus. Some people also think allergies and even computer exposure etc. can cause nervous tics. Peace, sjb

Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
(female)

hwc2020 HB User

Thank you so much for your response. We limit sugar, although at school it's carbs all the way, which is a sugar. We also really limit screen so it wouldn't be that. I think it's stress/anxiety that's exacerbating it. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to hwc2020:
sjb (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, that does sound like it really is ADHD, inattentive type, and he's probably better off on medication than going to school and constantly being punished and yelled at for things he can't help. (Believe me, speaking from experience here. I spent second grade in the principal's office every day, and most of the time I didn't even know why I was there.)

However, what his teachers should understand is that medication is the first step in treating ADHD, not the end. They may still need to make allowances, such as giving him instructions in writing, or calling his name and making eye contact when speaking to him, rather than just operating on the assumption that he's ignoring them on purpose. An IEP plan or a conference with his teacher and appropriate other staff might be in order.

The final question is, is the stress causing the inattention, or are the ADHD issues causing the stress? It can be really hard on a kid to have to go to school every day when he just doesn't have all the necessary skills yet.

Final bit of good news. ADHD doesn't go away with age, but the smart kids with good family support learn to adapt. A few years from now, he might still be struggling with homework, but he'll be fitting in a lot better overall.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

hwc2020 HB User

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your sharing your own personal experience. Now I feel worse though. He's in a highly academic school (the most academic in our city) and it's so much work. We were going to move him to an easier school but he didn't want to change. Do you believe that you can grow out of it and not be medicated? My biggest fear is my little boy being on speed for his life. We try to feel him well, give supplements, get lots of exercise and martial arts. My goal is for him to eventually be off meds. Does this ever happen? Thanks.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Getting off meds? Sure, that can definitely happen!

I'm going to be honest here, no false modesty, no false pride.

I had major problems in first/second grade. Got a little easier as I got a little bigger and school got less boring. Eighth grade was awful (thirteen year old girls aren't human, they are monsters) but high school wasn't bad. I was very bright and I used my quickness and reading skills to compensate for my poor attention and focus.

In college, though, I couldn't compensate. Matter of fact, I failed out after three dreadful semesters. Finally, at 19, I was diagnosed ADHD. I went back to school, took meds "as needed" and graduated magna *** laude just four years after finishing high school.

Currently, I do not take meds. I learned to manage without them, and I chose a career that plays to my strengths rather than my weaknesses. (Elementary school is specifically designed to play to the weaknesses of ADHD children, just in case you were wondering!)

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Exercise and good nutrition don't cure ADHD, but they help a lot. Adequate sleep is also good. It's tough to be the mother of an ADHD child sometimes. You'll be judged by people who have no idea what they're talking about. But love your child, balance care and understanding with firm discipline, and he'll figure it out somehow.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
(female)

hwc2020 HB User

OMG you're my new best friend. You sound amazing and I am very grateful that you're sharing your story. You could be me. Except that I was never diagnosed and didn't figure I have it until my son went through it and I began reading.

Were you young for your grade? I am sure the only thing worse than add for a 13 year old girl, are hormones plus Add. That sounds pretty rough. You sound like you came out better for it, and with a pretty good sense of humor to boot. Way to go on graduating top of your class. Love that! You should write a book. Every mother of an add kid would line up.

My son tests very well, super high i.q. yet has all the add stuff, doesn't check work, sloppy handwriting, unlike you doesn't love to read, and he's the youngest in his class and small. He is always comparing himself unfavorably and it is heartbreaking to hear. He's very sweet, modest and gives his power away. So I'm hell bent on changing that for him. He will turn out just fine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Love what you said about strengths and weaknesses.

Big hugs!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, I think as a parent I would ask them to limit sugar at school and also explain to the son to avoid sweets as much as possible, some kids offer theirs especially at holiday times. Yes some people just put up with the tics and tolerate them without meds. I have seen people who were on meds and they still had the tics anyway medicines and all and they are usually not all that healthy for the body because the kidneys and liver must detoxify these. Peace, sjb

Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad I could help! Yes, I was young for my grade. Born in December and started kindergarten long before I turned 5.

Hmmm, you're in NYC. Look up Jeannette Wasserstein. She helped me out a lot when I was first diagnosed. You might not be able to afford many sessions with someone like that, but even a few can help, and your insurance might pick up part of the tab.

Closed Thread