It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

Toshi321 HB User
Adderall dosage?

Can anyone direct me to any source of Adderall being weight dependent?

Quick story: Was dx'd with adult ADHD (inattentive type) last year and treatment resistant depression as well. 30mgs seems to be working. BUT:

I also have Narcolepsy. Not the falling down kind, and I have had two sleep tests and my regular MD refuses to label me with it, even though the sleep lab MDs don't. 30 mgs isn't enough for Narcolepsy, and I don't think my shrink can Rx me more than 40 mgs/day. I'm sure he can, but it would be "atypical", and it's not his job.

I also take 1-3 mgs of Klonopin for anxiety/GAD, and have taken benzos for at least 5 years. I was up to 14 mgs of Xanax 3 years ago, but have remained stable since. Actually, since given Adderall, I take MUCH less Klonopin--perhaps 1-2 mgs a day. New shrink gets this, and says that's normal, but regular MD does not, and won't even give me a non-stimulant/non-scheduled med since Adderall IR's 1/2 life is so short (about 4 hours for me). I don't know why. I saw another MD a year or so ago to get stitches and he wrote that I was seeking narcotics! (I'm freaking allergic to them, and NEVER asked for them!) I assume this is why, and I even brought it up at my last appointment when he said he wouldn't Rx me a non-addictive add-on, and I said, it's because of what that other MD wrote, but you know I'm allergic to all opiates, and if you think I'm a drug abuser/med seeking, drug test me. He refused and said:

"Well, I can't dx you with Narcolepsy based on two sleep studies... So as long as you're getting your Adderall from a different source, what does it matter?"

Yeah, last appointment didn't go well. Need to find a new one, but how, as all medical files are most likely computerized? I should be given the option to NOT transfer medical records. I have print offs of most of them anyways.

New here-- I write too much, and needed to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
(male)

KrisMcK HB User
Exclamation Re: Adderall dosage?

Narcotics the first meaning of the word for opiates then loosely included addictive substances.

I'm on Dexedrine 30 mg qam which is about 40 mg of adderal a day. Amphetamines are classified as narcotics.

1st your MD was probably covering his *** re: adderal but just reading your post it does sound like you're drug seeking ie telling a doc of any kind that you require an extra dose or two of amphetamines due to narcolepsy which must. E clinically demonstrated under Federal Laws
2nd 14mg of Xanax and Rivotril by definition you do have a drug problem

Go by the advise of your psychiatrist and his rx's for phychoactive drugs. Don't bug your MDs about such things they are really at a loss cause they specialize in primary care not psychiatry

I have been on the same dose of Dexedrine for over 7 years and find if I stick to that dose you don't build up a significant tolerance. I've been taking stimulants for 27 years I have tried them all the only one you can't build up a tolerance to is Reactivan-fencamphemane 20 mg a day. It's simular to cocaines mechanism of action but lasts 14 hours after a morning dose. I prefer that drug over an amphetamine any day!

Listen to your shrink!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

Toshi321 HB User
Re: Adderall dosage?

Listen to my shrink how? He can only Rx me up to 40 mg of Adderall IR/day. That means I can only go up 10 more mgs. I never asked him to go up, but I might need to.

Since when did the term "narcotics" get thrown around so loosely? I am looking for a new MD soon. This is insanity to think that I'm a drug abuser. Yes, past dependence to Xanax, and that was after years and a tolerance built up. I never abused it, got high, what have you. I know what it "looks like" and yeah, you are right-- he's just covering his @ss when it comes to scheduled meds.

I ask my MD for a NON-addictive/NON-scheduled add on, and he did not even want to talk about it.

Perhaps my shrink can-- who knows.

I weigh 165 pounds. I have heard that it's weigh dependent.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
adderall, adhd, narcolepsy