It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
(female)

jynx0304 HB User
Guinea Pig

Hi all
New here and found some of your threads rather entertaining. My son was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 years ago and in that time my GP has diagnosed me with ADD as well. I was originally put on Effexor for depression long before this diagnosis. I started having these attacks where I would start to shake for no reason. I was convinced it was a blood sugar thing because chocolate seemed to help but no blood work showed nothing. It was decided it was anxiety attacks so I was given something extra for those moments. My new current GP decided this was no good and put me on Wellbutrin after the ADD diagnosis which worked great for awhile but eventually at max dosage my concentration was in the toilet. I also had an RX sleeping med to take on occasion because I'm such a light sleeper that I could hear my cat walking across the carpet in the middle of the night.
Recently I mentioned to him I tend to hyper focus on stuff but its usually things that stress me out and I'll spend hours on the intent researching or just plain reading to distract myself. I jump from task to task and even my conversations are hard to follow at times. I'm constantly tripping over my dishwasher door because I bugger of to do something else and my kids are always looking for socks cuz they are never folded. Because of what he deems 'mildly obsessive" traits he wanted to try me on zoloft instead of a stimulant. I was sooo tired I took it in the evening (had the best sleep ever which was nice) but was still so dopey during the day that my ADD seemed worse. We've now lowered the dose but I'm have so many "squirrel moments" lately and I confess I've been on the internet reading about ADD/Anxiety meds for 2 hours when I know I should be doing other things.
Even my GP says medicating someone for stuff like this is trial and error but I'm starting to feel like a guniea pig. I'm not sure if I should ask him to refer me to someone else or try a stimulant and hope it doesn't enhance the hyper focusing.
Any advice is welcome but I'm just happy I can ramble on and you will all understand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User
Re: Guinea Pig

Trying a stimulant might be good for you. If it increases your focus and quality of life, you at least know they've got the ADHD diagnosis correct + you get the benefit of feeling better. If you feel worse or don't feel any change after trying the stimulant meds you may want to get a second opinion about your diagnosis. An occupational therapist would be able to test you for other diagnoses that present similarly as ADHD but which are totally different from ADHD, at least in the underlying causes of the hyperactive and inattentive symptoms.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Unfortunately, the "brain drugs" still have to be prescribed by trial and error a lot of the time. Still, while you're trying to find the right mix, it might be worth seeing a psychiatrist, preferably one who treats adult ADD frequently. They have more experience at this than GPs. Once you find something that works, your GP can continue writing it for you.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

Heartlili HB User

Hi,

I was misdiagnosed as well when I was young and was recently diagnosed with ADD. I was previously given zoloft by a random dr and I could not function. I general dr of twenty some years told me to stop taking it and put me on CYMBALTA. He started me on 30 mg and increased it over time. I take now 60 mg at nite and 60 in the morning. It works great and helps. Dr has also prescribed Vyvanse which did not work for me although it works different on people. I now just started Concerta 36 mg a couple of days ago. It seems to work better. Dr has also prsecribed Topamax 25 mg at nite to help me sleep, migraine headaches and as a mood stabilizer. I tend to have a mental breakdown and anxiety attack once in a while and therefore he has given me Topamax to stabilize my mood. Hope this helps. talk tou your dr about your options.
Heartlili

Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
(female)

jynx0304 HB User

I'm not familiar with all the different meds but is there an non-stimulant ADD med? I googled & Effexor can have stimulant qualities & I was all anxious.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Strattera and Intuitiv are non-stimulant medicines specifically approved to treat ADHD. Certain types of antidepressants, including Effexor and a few others, are also helpful for some ADHD patients.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
(male)

freestyle19 HB User
Cool Re: Guinea Pig

I feel your pain, I too have been a guinea pig, tried endless amounts of drugs to no avail. I'm only 24 yrs old, and my life has spiraled out of control in many ways, but the journey back to health and balance begun a long time ago, once I realized it's a personal journey for everyone, but the key to healing from this is recognizing you are not your condition nor are you the label the medical community or people at large give you. Once you begin to see your ADHD symptoms as perfectly normal your attitude will slowly change, and you will accept that with this kind of brain chemistry comes immense gifts along with the struggles. - that's the attitude that will catapult you down the journey onto the next healing step
treatment- from a purely scientific standpoint- ADHD symptoms such as being easily distracted, erratic sleeping patterns, unpredictable mood among many others are nothing more than imbalances within your mind/body as a whole.
Every thing needs to be addressed , because all it takes is one imbalance within your system to throw everything out of whack because everything else has to overcompensate. I emphasize "everything" because it's too easy to just pop Ridalin, or some potent sedating drug. It's the quick and easy treatment, but it never can get to the root cause of your problems, all it can do is take the edge off, help regulate mood to a certain extent- but with this you also have to deal with many undesirable side effects, and this begs the question- how healthy are these pharmaceutical drugs if my body is reacting in this way? I am in no way shape or form trying to be a doctor, and I'm not anti-pharmaceutical, that being said I have personally seen, felt and experienced how much they can mess up one's life, and create the illusion that all is well, while the root cause of what were dealing with is being ignored..
I highly recommend the book, "driven to distraction" is goes into depth about how ADHD can mirror countless other conditions, and create alot of headaches in life, and goes on to show how you can treat it- although I don't agree with all of it, it has some very meaningful points in there.
I also know a few people who have benefitted immensely from cutting out stimulants like caffeine( bad news for those of us with ADHD), sugar, gluten, too much alcohol etc..) and have begun taking probiotics which help regulate the digestive tract and in the process help regulate mood/ thoughts and emotions- the reason behind this is not supernatural, science has now proven that an enormous amount of our mood directly stems from our digestive tracts which can be responsible for up to 90% of serotonin in our brains! It sounds bizarre but it is very true. This is why people who exercise and eat healthy are generally happier people
- educate yourself on ADHD and it's masks- take everything with a grain of salt, and realize most people including pharmaceutical companies have a motive- $, sometimes you have to think outside of the box and become your own doctor to fully regulate your life again.
- exercise!- Any chance you get exercise- this releases mass amounts of endorphins/dopamine etc..- feel good chemicals in the brain that help regulate thinking, create a more calm/peaceful approach to life- I could go on forever here of the benefits.. the key is those of us with ADHD have mass amounts of energy( though this can fluctuate) we need an outlet for this - exercise is paramount
clean up your diet- sugar/caffeine/ unnatural artificial stimulatants wreck havoc on our brains- create tensions, jitters, insomnia, digestive issues and many more- I know this one is challenging, but trust me if you were to really cut out these offenders, and transition to a more natural organic diet- you will be shocked out how everything else seems to fall in place..

I hope I helped, keep strong

Closed Thread