It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

MezzanotteMarie HB User
Angry Feel Like a Criminal

Hi... I'm new to posting here and basically just looking for some support or to vent or something.... Here's what my day was like... I picked up my written prescription for adderall which I've taken for quite a while and always picked up from the same pharmacy... I took it to my pharmacy intending just to drop it off so that on the day that it was ready for pick up I could just come back and pick it up and not have to wait around. I don't drive and there's no bus service around so I usually just pick it up whenever it is convenient for me to do so. Anyhow... apparently last month it was toward the fourth when I picked up my meds so this guy at the pharmacy started acting strange towards me... meanwhile this was just an over-site on my part - as I have always picked it up somewhat early if it was more convenient.... Long story short he was completely rude to me, snorted at me and completely embarrassed me at a store where I shop ALL THE TIME.... and then when I left the store some man followed me because he must have heard what this pharmacy tech was saying to me only the guy didn't hear the ADHD part and he thought it was like pain medication or something and wanted to buy painkillers from me!!!!! Now I am afraid to walk around that area cuz I don't want that guy to come up to me again....I have never sold any type of drugs or even taken pain meds of any sort (other than Tylenol) so I am sure that this man must have thought that because of conversation at the pharmacy.... Also to make matters worse I am so frustrated by this whole thing that when I tried to explain what had happened to the actual pharmacist I'm pretty sure I just sounded like some sort of nut....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

jackieshoes HB User
Re: Feel Like a Criminal

M. Marie,

I am so sorry that someone made you feel like that and everything that followed. I had an experience like that recently, and felt it was very important to let someone know. I've worked in retail and the service industry since I could work and that is no way to treat someone, no matter their "opinion".

First off, I was completely humiliated, so I'm sure you were at least uncomfortable. When I get upset like that, I find it hard to complete my thoughts like I ought to and can come across as rather blunt because I'm embarrassed...and my ADD doesn't help with stringing complete thoughts together and verbalizing them anyway. So what I did (and this is probably the second time I've ever complained to someone's boss) is I left. I was embarrassed and angry. When I got home, I compiled my thoughts into a concise memo format and printed out a few copies. I composed myself and went back to the pharmacy. I asked for the pharmacist and the manager on duty. I explained what happened in the short and sweet version and told them that all the details of the "encounter" were in the memo. They apologized, blah, blah, blah. The point is...I was able to capture all the details and them have a copy in case it came up again, I'd be able to refer back.

Bottom line, the tech or cashier, whomever it was, should have discussed your situation with you in a quieter, more respectful manner. As far as the guy following you out to your car...I would have either given him an opinion of my own or called the police.

Hope this makes some sort of sense and you can get it resolved. We have to fight enough just dealing with the disorder on it's own...and then constantly fight the stigma that others could never understand.

Best of luck!

Closed Thread