It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User
Adderall dose? Too much/not enough?

My doctor has been telling me for years that I have ADD. But Vyvance was too strong for me - even the lowest dose. So she suggested Adderall XR. When I told her the 5mg made me feel speedy and anxious sometimes she said I probably needed a higher dose - like 20mg.

Is this true? If a stimulant makes you feel edgy or speedy you need more to treat the ADD?

We eventually agreed on 5mg in the morning and 5mg at noon. Weird part is the first dose does make me speedy (but I also have a cup of coffee). The 2nd dose doesn't give me the speedy kick. It gives me more focus and concentration. I don't have any inattentiveness with it.

Is she right?

Also - do I have to wean myself off coffee and go to decaf so I don't feel speedy in the morning?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
Re: Adderall dose? Too much/not enough?

I take adderall with my coffee every morning and have no problems. I would switch to the time released capsules instead of those 5mg tablets if you're getting a "speedy" feeling. 5 mgs is not going to do much anyways especially when it's the instant release kind (it'll just make you feel "speedy" for at most, an hour). You will need to move up to 10mgs every morning if you want the time released capsules (they don't make TR adderall in 5mgs), but trust me, the time released adderall is way more steady and it doesn't make you feel like you've been smoking crack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

bioadd HB User

Your doctor is encouraging you to take adderall??? I find this odd because adderall is famous for its negative side effects. If you don't feel you need it don't take it. I take 60mg a day of IR adderall because I am a bio major and I want straight A's and due to my ADD would probably only be able to pull of C's without meds.. But I am making MANY sacrifices. Adderall has made me much less social, much more irritable, worsened my insomnia, caused me to have bowl issues, decreased my appetite, raised my anxiety levels.....the list goes on and on. I've never met anyone that takes adderall who doesn't hate it. Also it's incredibly addictive. Dosages need to be raised every few months, and then you get on too high of a dosage and you need to take a tolerance break...to do this you need to get on anti depressants.

Unless you're a student and getting your PhD means more to you than living a normal healthy happy life...then you shouldn't take adderall!!!

I'm sorry I'm just blown away by this, but I shouldn't be. Most doctors know very little about the drugs they supply. they don't cruise message boards like we do. They only know what text books say. Most adderall users don't share all of their symptoms with their doctors because they don't want their prescriptions taken away. Every three months I go in to get my three prescriptions raised and it takes all of 15 minutes. Doctor asks me how I'm doing and I say "GREAT! can I have more please?", and thats it.

I have NEVER recommended adderall to anyone and I have NEVER given any of my medication to someone who doesn't already have a prescription because I will not be responsible for anyone developing the taste for this miserable yet productive lifestyle.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Whoa Bioadd, not everyone has the same experiences as you. I've been on the same dosage for years and I definitely don't get it raised every 3 months (nor would I want to).

On thing I will say is that I don't like the IR adderall at all and refuse to take it (i've been on adderall for several years). I think that stuff is poison. It makes me really cranky and prone to horrible mood swings and headaches. I get none of that with the adderall XR (and after reading your post I'm now very thankful). You should consider switching to see if the side effects improve because it's definitely not normal to have so many issues from it! Believe it or not I find that I sleep better even with an XR dose in the afternoon than with an IR dose, which is what my doctor tried to switch me to once... Also maybe it turns out that adderall just isn't for you? There are other medications for add out there.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

bioadd HB User

This is a bit mind-blowing for me..
All of the people I know who take adderall take instant release. I have a group of six people who I've known for years and we've all been on instant release for less than three years. We've all had very similar experiences and we all know a handful of other people outside of the group who take IR and they also have had similar experiences... I guess I never considered XR adderall... once I asked my doctor about it but she said they don't have a generic version and at the time I was uninsured, so XR was out of the question. Is there a generic version?

crooked hearts, what do you use adderall for? Adderall is habit forming and tolerance issues are inevitable. I find it hard to believe that you have been on the same dosage for years, and that you find it to be as effective now as you did day one. I've never heard of anything like this, and my doctor warned me I would need to take tolerance breaks before prescribing adderall.... do you take regular tolerance breaks?
(I really don't intend to come off as rude, and I am not calling you a liar...I just find this shocking)

I just joined today and I posted a thread regarding tolerance breaks, because despite taking a three month break from adderall my tolerance is still very high, therefore any information you could provide as to how you have maintained the same dosage for years would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
(female)

bioadd HB User

I'd hate to hijack this thread. I titled the thread I started " Tolerance break from adderall did not help", if you'd like to give me some advice.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
(female)

DistractedMama HB User

My oldest son takes the same level of Adderall XR as he did months ago, and has never had to raise it beyond the initial stepping up of the dose until we found what worked. He doesn't have nearly any of the reactions you state in your OP, but when he takes IR he has a racing pulse and feels dizzy. Maybe it's time for you to switch to XR, because it's concerning hearing how you're stepping it so often, and throwing your body through the chemical and mental wringer. He takes XR, makes it through his day and takes a boost in the afternoon if needed for afternoon work (4 pm). I couldn't imagine taking the levels you are taking. It is honestly very concerning.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I take Adderall IR twice daily, and I have none of the problems you seem to have with it. I've been on the same dose for about 5 years and no I do not have to have "tolerance breaks". It still works the same as always. Adderall does come in a generic version of XR, however most insurance companies will only pay for the brand XR because there is some issue with the generic...if they're even still making the generic XR anymore. Adderall does not hype me up, make me feel speedy, or give me anxiety. It is true the XR has a smoother mechanism. I used to take XR in the am and a pm IR booster. It shouldn't hype you up if you're taking the correct dose.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Bioadd, I've definitely on the same dosage for several years for add and only recently got upped in my dosage when I went for an evaluation with a new doctor (a psychologist, I believe). I had no problems being on the same dosage for years and I never considered going up until the doctor suggested after I spoke with her about some of the problems I was having (i am currently in school too). But even then I only agreed to go up about 10 mgs because I was worried about the whole addiction thing too.

What I find disturbing is that you seem to be exhibiting signs of addiction and your doctor keeps upping your dose for you? I wouldn't think a doctor would do that.

I would request to try XR the next time because I honestly think it would be better for you. I get the name brand for the bigger dose because the generic XR always used to come in a tablet (i remember thinking the tablets seemed iffy in absorption so I didn't like them)--though I have no idea if that is still the case and it might even just depend on the dose you need, because I know for sure that there is now a generic XR capsule (gel cap) for the 10mgs, 'cause I always get the generic XR for that.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
(female)

Ninasfrostbite HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger3130 View Post
My doctor has been telling me for years that I have ADD. But Vyvance was too strong for me - even the lowest dose. So she suggested Adderall XR. When I told her the 5mg made me feel speedy and anxious sometimes she said I probably needed a higher dose - like 20mg.

Is this true? If a stimulant makes you feel edgy or speedy you need more to treat the ADD?

We eventually agreed on 5mg in the morning and 5mg at noon. Weird part is the first dose does make me speedy (but I also have a cup of coffee). The 2nd dose doesn't give me the speedy kick. It gives me more focus and concentration. I don't have any inattentiveness with it.

Is she right?

Caffeine actually increases/ compounds the adderall, Vitamin C causes it to eliminate from the system very quick, and negates it. Have you had Vitamin C in the morning (oranges, fruits ect)? Look at the adderall manufacturer sites, they will explain it all.

Also - do I have to wean myself off coffee and go to decaf so I don't feel speedy in the morning?

Closed Thread