It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

Eliasmom HB User
2 boys adhd, and add

Hello,
Ive got 2 great boys, ones 11 with aspergers and adhd, and the other is 6 with add. He was at the doctors today and we went through an eval, and just watching him in the office she could tell. He is so little to start meds, the amount of guilt putting him on something is tremendious. However he is going at 100mph in his head 24/7 and I cannot slow him down enough to reason with him, or to give him rewards and consequences. This summer his behavior problem has come to a head, which is why we went in to the doctor. If the pharmacy cannot get his meds ready tonight we will have them and start hopefully tomorrow. Hes going to do a low dose of short lasting meds so we will hopefully be able to tell by the afternoon that its worn off. This has been such a huge stress on our family, I hope we are doing the right thing for him. I have been unable to get through to him with reward/behavior charts or any other means of disipline like no "screen time" he is just in one mode...go go go. He is so little to start meds at only 6 but I really dont know what else to do, he is big for his age, and very aggressive. i am to the point Im scared he will hurt himself or someone else, although Im positive those are never his intentions. I hope this is an ok place to vent. Anyone else just starting out with meds with a child so young?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 2 boys adhd, and add

I am sorry you are dealing with all this.

No, you are not a bad mother for putting him on medication. You're doing this to help him, because you've tried everything else.

Take some time and figure out how he's doing on the meds before school starts. If this medicine doesn't work for him, maybe the dose is too high or too low, or maybe he'd do better on a different one.

The medicine is not a new kid in a bottle, but hopefully it will help your kid respond to your careful discipline.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

michellegrl HB User
Re: 2 boys adhd, and add

please make sure you get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion as to see if its possible to not put him on meds
if there are any other therapies out there.

worth a shot

Closed Thread