It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
(male)

sharkbait31 HB User
Adult ADD-what type of doc/therapy?

I have a few symptoms going on....
Some memory issues, mild-to-moderate attention problems, stress, weight gain with gynecomastia, multiple physical "joint" type issues, as well as urinary problems and GERD.
I've pretty much always addressed these problems individually, but there's a place in town that advertises itself as a "holistic approach to whole body health". I've never been to this type of doctor, but I'm not against it either. Just never wanted to end up with some quack taking my money.
I briefly took some ADD/depression meds prescribed by a phychiatrist after my divorce, some helped but mostly just left me feeling "blah".
I've never been one to stay on meds permanently if I can help it, and the last one I took, (don't remember the name) I took the entire first supply and didn't notice a thing. After about 2 weeks, though, I started to feel amazing! I was in a better mood than I can ever remember, I couldn't shut up, I was laughing and joking constantly. But I knew this had to be a false high, and there was no way I was going to let myself get addicted to this drug supplying this false feeling. So, it faded after about 3 weeks, and I have gone back to my normal mood/memory/health issues.

So, blah,blah,blah, my question is this- Do I try this holistic approach? Do I look for an endocrinologist to check out my hormones? I've had basic bloodwork before and seem to recall that my testosterone levels were normal. Also, I've read online about pituitary issues, such as benign tumors that can throw everything out of whack and cause a lot of the symptoms I'm experiencing.
Any suggestions for my next step?
(my ADD is mild by my judgement-- although right now I do have 8 tabs open on my browser and keep flipping back and forth between them)

Last edited by sharkbait31; 09-06-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
(female)

Angelina Marie HB User
Re: Adult ADD-what type of doc/therapy?

I went to an endocrinologist last year. And I felt so much better after I left. It was well worth it to me. He diagnosed me, prescribed me meds and also ran other tests and checked me for everything. Well worth it

Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would recommend seeing an endocrine Dr to get your thyroid levels and pituitary hormones checked. Gynecomastia in men can occur for several reasons, most of them hormonal, sometimes a drug side effect or from excess alcohol. The weight gain, blah feeling and memory, attention issues are common in hypothryoidism. The holistic clinic might not check out these specific issues, which I think should be done. If the medicine you took that made you feel good was an antidepressant, they are not addictive, and can be taken long term, if needed, so if everything else checks out, I would not be afraid to go back on it, perhaps on a little lower dose if you felt over-stimulated and too gregarious.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
(male)

sharkbait31 HB User

Thank you so much! I have been thinking of that as a possibility, and I will let you know how it turns out.

Closed Thread