It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Sixty and Still Need Meds

I just turned 60 (that's scary enough!) and always thought I could eventually stop taking meds for my ADD. I started on Ritilan at 14 and later Dexedrine. All Dr's have tried me on the newer drugs but the old Dexedrine seems to work best for me. I recently tried Vyvanse and it was ok but felt I needed one more. I worry that getting older (hell, old by now!) am I thinking I need the meds to "just get up in the mornings" or will I always be this way and really need them? Without, I still can't focus on reading a book or even watching a movie. I keep my house straight but without meds takes me "forever" simply because I don't follow through and do things in order. I guess my question is...Will I be ADD all my life and need medication?

The following user gives a hug of support to CharBerry:
addprogrammer (09-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Sixty and Still Need Meds

Some people really do benefit from taking the meds forever. I was diagnosed at 19 and took them only for a couple of years. I think I could still benefit, but I hate the side effects.

Bottom line, if your heart is healthy enough and you aren't abusing them, why stop?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Thanks for the input. I worry because I LOVE the side effects. LOL. More energy and seem to have more stamina. Think reason I worry but after 40 years, what the hell!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Same reply as to Jane. I worry because I love the side effects, which are only good things for me! More energy, more interest in things, can do things in order and keep my house clean, sit down and read a good book for hrs. (Fifty Shades -all 3 in a week, LOL), and keep up with my grandchildren. Thanks for your input and if it's worked for 40 yrs. why stop now!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

You just turned 60? You a young chick. I'm 61.

The meds are with me until death do us part.

Dats. Dat.

Your so-called side-effects are effects.

Hang in there.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm with you! Why stop now as long as I'm feeling good! Thanks for the re-assurance.

Char

Closed Thread